Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to the boards. Awaiting delivery of my FX45.

Are there any issues with flexing of the chassis in these vehicles? I saw the thread on the stut tower brace. I was thinking about sub frame connectors.

Any thoughts....

doc

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
No noticeable flexing on the chassis. I think the chassis is very stiff as is. The FM chassis used on the G35 and 350Z was modified/re-enforced to take on the extra weight of our vehicles.

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
The chassis is actually quite stiff. I don't know that it really even NEEDS the strut bar. A sway bar set would be nice, though...

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Maybe just replacement urethane bushings on our exisitng sway bars?

I think the RWD version doesnt have a sway bar(s), I could be mistaken.

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
The RWD has a front sway bar only. I thought the same was true for all models; is this not the case? If not, have you phisically crawled under and looked at the rear bar? If AWD versiond DO have a rear bar (and possibly a thicker front), I could just get the parts and upgrade, but again, I thought they were all the same.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Here you go (from the specification page off Infiniti.com):

Suspension:
Front: Independent, strut with high-stength steel lower link, shock stabilizer bar.
Rear: Indpendent, multi-link with forged-aluminum upper link, coil springs, outboard shock absorbers (stabilizer bar with AWD)

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Hmm, I'll have to swing by my dealer and check it out.

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
So, I'm wondering what the rear sway bar does for the AWD models that they thought it unneccesary on the RWD? Handle the extra weight? But if that's the case, the AWD FX35 is less than 200lbs heavier then the RWD; that's no big deal in terms of handling.

·
Registered
3,948 Posts

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
MustGoFastR said:
I found some AWD underbody pics of FA: http://forums.freshalloy.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=FX45&Number=67543442&Forum=FX45&Words=underbody pic&Match=Entire Phrase&Searchpage=0&Limit=50&Old=allposts&Main=67541644&Search=true#Post67543442

Looks like you are correct; they do have the rear bar. Anybody have a parts list that they can check to see if the '35 AWD and '45 AWD use the same bars and if the front bar is the same on the AWD as opposed to the RWD?
PM'd ya

post up here!

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Well, according to Esemes (thanks for the parts list info.), the '35 and '45 AWDs use the same bars and the front bars are the same diameter as on the RWD, so I'm just lacking the rear bar. It's only $125 list, so it would be a cheap, easy add-on. Here are the parts:

stab bar (rear) = 56230-cg000 (125.73)
stab bushing (rear) = 5416-cg024 (l & r) (4.01)
bushing bracket (rear) = 56233-ag000 (l & r) (2.83)

all above is for the AWD model.

I see no reason why it wouldn't bolt right up on the RWD as well.

I'd still like to know:
MustGoFastR said:
So, I'm wondering what the rear sway bar does for the AWD models that they thought it unneccesary on the RWD? Handle the extra weight? But if that's the case, the AWD FX35 is less than 200lbs heavier then the RWD; that's no big deal in terms of handling.
Any speculation?

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Maybe the rear bar in the AWD version help with correcting some of the inherent understeer in AWD OR omitted from the RWD to help keep the handling more neutral? Wild guess.

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
ujmot said:
Maybe the rear bar in the AWD version help with correcting some of the inherent understeer in AWD OR omitted from the RWD to help keep the handling more neutral? Wild guess.
Hmm, possibly. Most cars have a certain amount of understeer dialed in for safety; if the AWD naturally understeers more than a RWD, then the rear bar could help alleviate some of this, as you said. If this is the case, adding the rear bar to the RWD may tune the handling even more toward neutral or to even slightly oversteer; a more desirable trait in sports cars to those that know their stuff.

I used to have a Honda Del Sol S (very nimble little car, esp. with the mods I had), which came with a front sway bar only. The Del Sol VTEC model, however, came with a thicker front and a rear bar, the overall effect of which was to maintain the same balance and tendency to understeer, yet allow for less body roll. What I did was retain my smaller front bar and add the rear bar from the VTEC; the result was more neutral handling and less tendency to understeer.

If this all makes sense, then adding the rear bar to my RWD FX could make for more aggressive handling characteristics. Yummy.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
MustGoFastR said:
If this all makes sense, then adding the rear bar to my RWD FX could make for more aggressive handling characteristics. Yummy.
S-

keep in mind.....

the awd(35) and the awd (45) axles are diff. part no.s.....

im not 100% sure the sway has mounting points in place on the 2wd(35) chassis/drivetrain

hava looksee first!!

SMS

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
I'll check it out at my dealer. I'm on pretty friendly terms with my service manager and tech and if they're not busy, they would have no problem putting an AWD up on a lift next to mine for a comparison. May be a week or so before I can get over there, but I'll post my findings when I do.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
MustGoFastR said:
I'll check it out at my dealer. I'm on pretty friendly terms with my service manager and tech and if they're not busy, they would have no problem putting an AWD up on a lift next to mine for a comparison. May be a week or so before I can get over there, but I'll post my findings when I do.
take pic bro...

this is a great thread/idea in the makes!!

SMS

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
esemes said:
this is a great thread/idea in the makes!!
Heh, hijacked, though it is. :roll:

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
I went by ther dealership today and checked it out. It looks like it should bolt right up. I got the parts guy to print me as list of all the parts I need; what's the cheapest place to order OEM parts from? I know Grubbs has discounts, but I recall another site mentioned recently.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Thanks; I'll send the parts request to both Grubbs and them and see who comes back with the best price. I'll report back when I hear something.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts