Infiniti FX Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone else noticed that when the street is uneven with depressions from heavy trucks that the FX wheels are pulled in or out of the groves back and forth virtually yanking the steering wheel out of your hands?
Also I noticed that when there is an edge to the pavement, the tire resists slowly entering the paved road and gets slightly stuck along the grove?
I would have thought it would be easier to run over the grove from exits lanes to the main road with the larger tires and wheels?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Perhaps its just several locations. We have bad winters here and heavy trucks in the heat of the summer. The roads get ruined quickly. I just wodered if others noticed this more in FX's. No one else here at work who drive the same route notice it to be quite as bad as I did.
Tks for your input.
Stan

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
ShadyJC said:
I don't find the 20" wheels on the FX to really behave any better or worse than other SUVs I have driven, at least not as you describe.
Ditto, I have not noticed the problem that FXing4FUN describes - however I'm not sure I've driven on roads as bad as he is describing.

PS: Perhaps this can be combined with the duplicate thread in the Tires, Rims, & Suspension Problems Forum

·
Premium Member
2,609 Posts
msu79gt82 said:
PS: Perhaps this can be combined with the duplicate thread in the Tires, Rims, & Suspension Problems Forum
Done. Please consider "bumping" an existing thread if you feel it is being overlooked, rather than duplicating it in another forum. Thanks!

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have same issue

I am in NYC area and I have experienced the same issue. For those who are familar with NJ RT78 around exit 40's road is not even where I can see that parts of the road is caving in and I do experience the wheel pulling to one side.

·
Registered
748 Posts
I have noticed it a little as well. (I travel 78 often) Although I think the suspension has loosened a bit since I got my FX, the ride was much smoother in my IS300. I almost always drove with one hand in the IS and find myself needing to pay more attention and drive with two hands in the FX. Not necisarrily a bad thing though! All in all, I got used to the difference in about a day and don't find it to be problematic. I've heard reports of people claiming the steering wheel was jerked out of their hands and their FX crossed lane deviders due the issue mentioned. I gotta think that is a little exaggerated. Notice a trend here though? The only people that have experienced this at all reside in the NE. Bad weather and crappy roads. Not a real good combo for any car.

-NJJ

·
Registered
748 Posts
Re: I have same issue

FX Lover said:
I am in NYC area and I have experienced the same issue. For those who are familar with NJ RT78 around exit 40's road is not even where I can see that parts of the road is caving in and I do experience the wheel pulling to one side.
Pot holes exiting the Lincoln Tunnel have taken a bite out of my rims and tires in the past. I can't believe I drove my precious FX into Manhatten when it was 4 days old. You will all be happy to know that she survived the trip without a scratch.

-NJJ

·
Premium Member
3,233 Posts
Same thing up here. The frost goes down 6-8' every winter and plays **** with the roads when it thaws in the spring. On many roads here, you need to be holding the wheel firmly so you don't get pulled from one side to the other.

·
Registered
662 Posts
This is common problem of wide performance-oriented tires with quick steering wheel. After switching to Toyo, it got little better due to its softer side wall.

·
Registered
31 Posts
same EXACT experience with me -- in fact if you arent careful and always hold that steering wheel - it can jacknife out of your hands -- that happened to me when I first pcked up the car. For those of you in NY/NJ - try driving the goethals bridge from staten island to nj in the left lane!!! OH BOY! Warning: Hold that steering wheel as tight as you can - the FX takes on a mind of its own with that road! Glad to hear that its 'normal' and not my suspension -- I was starting to think it was my FX.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Yep

Happens to me, specially when comming from O'hare to Downtown. there are some parts where the FX keeps jerking from side to side

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
Maybe some of y'all need to put some time in with a pair of those hand-grip squeeze excercisers if y'all find the wheel being ripped out of your hands like that! :?

·
Premium Member
3,233 Posts
kcrudup said:
Maybe some of y'all need to put some time in with a pair of those hand-grip squeeze excercisers if y'all find the wheel being ripped out of your hands like that! :?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
185 Posts
I would like to elaborate on what "topguy" said. It's the tires, not the wheels. Anytiime you have a wide high performance tire that has a very flat tread pattern it will follow inconsistancies in the road. Actually it does not need to be that wide. Had a Honda Accord that had 205 Pirelli's on it and it was all over the road. Got rid of them after only a thousand miles. Seemed like the lighter car had more of a problem than the FX or my truck (305/40-22's).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Huh... You konw I've noticed the exact same thing, but I don't know if it has completely to do with just the width of the tires. On my old G, I had 275's in the front and 295's in the back. Never dit that to me.

I think it's not just the width, but the size of the tire too. And possibly the fact that the steering is so loose.

It does bug the crap out of me when I feel like it's just going all over the place.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Huh... You konw I've noticed the exact same thing, but I don't know if it has completely to do with just the width of the tires. On my old G, I had 275's in the front and 295's in the back. Never dit that to me.

I think it's not just the width, but the size of the tire too. And possibly the fact that the steering is so loose.

It does bug the crap out of me when I feel like it's just going all over the place.

·
Registered
779 Posts
topguy said:
This is common problem of wide performance-oriented tires with quick steering wheel. After switching to Toyo, it got little better due to its softer side wall.
I totaly agree with the statement.

This problem used to bug me when I had my previus car with low profile, wide summer-only tires. Now with the FX, the problem exists but to a smaller degree therefore I can live with that. 8)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.