Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Haven't been on here in a long while.just finished installing a cayenne intake on my 03 fx45.Thought you guys would enjoy and appreciate.
0331211931.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
Details, details, DETAILS!!!! Please. Very interesting. I know it wasn't a bolt on. And please tell us about the differene.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Details, details, DETAILS!!!! Please. Very interesting. I know it wasn't a bolt on. And please tell us about the differene.
Have been trying to finish this project for several years.I just a had a couple of bad years.Upon going through a divorce I decided what a better time than while covid was rampant.Anyway,I started doing the math back in 2013 when I stumbled upon a major issue with the FX.I had bought it with a blown engine, and not knowing much about the VK,Just dug right in and started going through the engine.I soon discovered upon removing the intake manifold what Nissan had done to keep some HP on the table just in case BMW or Porsche decided to up their game in the future.If you have a spare VK lower intake(2003-2008 doesnt matter which years)look at the intake runner just before it dumps into the intake port.You'll see that about 20%(23.5% by my math)of the port is deliberately cast as a bottle neck.I'll add a picture so you can see for yourself.After doing a lot of research and buying a lot of intake gaskets and exhaust gaskets I found the Porsche 4.5 in the cayenne was almost a bolt on.It is so close that you have to make adapters and drill and tap different holes in the VK heads because several holes overlap 50%.I made my set by hand out of 1/2" aluminum plate and a 1 1/2" hole saw, no machine shop work at all.I am still tuning using my uprev tuner licence.It makes considerable more hp and torque higher up in the rev range with a little less at the bottom,a lot more fun to drive.I have not taken it to get a dyno tune, going to do it all by myself and learn something.at the same time.I am still tuning,but am working on several other big things for this car.Upgrading to the 06-up vk engine wiring harness along with all the more common interchangeable sensors soon.Also working on installing the cayenne throttle body,6-speed awd and turbocharging this beast.Keep tuned.
porschevsinfiniti.jpg

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I almost forgot.This takes about 30 pounds off the top of the motor.Car has more of a roar like an chevy ls motor now.LOVE IT...

·
Registered
23 Posts
"alrighty" should be in all CAPS! Very interesting project and I hope you will give us more progress reports, etc. Thanks for the info and sharing.

·
Registered
2005 FX35
2 Posts
Have been trying to finish this project for several years.I just a had a couple of bad years.Upon going through a divorce I decided what a better time than while covid was rampant.Anyway,I started doing the math back in 2013 when I stumbled upon a major issue with the FX.I had bought it with a blown engine, and not knowing much about the VK,Just dug right in and started going through the engine.I soon discovered upon removing the intake manifold what Nissan had done to keep some HP on the table just in case BMW or Porsche decided to up their game in the future.If you have a spare VK lower intake(2003-2008 doesnt matter which years)look at the intake runner just before it dumps into the intake port.You'll see that about 20%(23.5% by my math)of the port is deliberately cast as a bottle neck.I'll add a picture so you can see for yourself.After doing a lot of research and buying a lot of intake gaskets and exhaust gaskets I found the Porsche 4.5 in the cayenne was almost a bolt on.It is so close that you have to make adapters and drill and tap different holes in the VK heads because several holes overlap 50%.I made my set by hand out of 1/2" aluminum plate and a 1 1/2" hole saw, no machine shop work at all.I am still tuning using my uprev tuner licence.It makes considerable more hp and torque higher up in the rev range with a little less at the bottom,a lot more fun to drive.I have not taken it to get a dyno tune, going to do it all by myself and learn something.at the same time.I am still tuning,but am working on several other big things for this car.Upgrading to the 06-up vk engine wiring harness along with all the more common interchangeable sensors soon.Also working on installing the cayenne throttle body,6-speed awd and turbocharging this beast.Keep tuned. View attachment 20265
Very interesting.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts