Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Be Careful FX Drivers.
My 2003 FX was broken into twice. Nothing wasn't taken out major except for a 40$ ash tray insert. It wasn't even noticed. Both times the culprit popped off the escutcheon with the key insert exposed. Took a flat head screw driver and popped out the key insert assembly and the door automatically unlocks. It could be an inside job because it was done less than five minutes. I parked my truck in front of my house, ran in, and five minutes later came out to see that my truck was broken into for the second time. It cost me 800$ for each. I know we have the keyless entry option but I decided to up the anny by really making our truck keyless entry. That means that you cannot use the wallet key if you accidently lock your keys in the car. I had the repair shop order a driver side rear escutcheon and place it on the front driver side. I will Place pics shortly. Needless to say, It is an addition to theft deterent. How can they pop a door lock if they can't see a door lock. I also suggest you keep a couple of extra batteries for your remote where you used to keep the wallet key.[/b]

·
Premium Member
2,609 Posts
This subject came up recently right here.

I don't think they even have to pop out the key insert assembly, just stick a screwdriver in, turn, and watch the windows go down -- or did I misunderstand this? Anyway, anyone make any progress on this? Scott, did you get the lock finisher or hack the wiring?

·
Premium Member
5,581 Posts
Sorry to hear. Glad not much damage.

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Gotta put that part swap on my list of to-dos this week. Anybody got a part number?

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The part # is....

The Identification is Escutcheon, RR DR HA.
The part number is 82646-CA000.
The price is 17$.
The rear fits exactlly to the front. The only exception is
No KEY ENTRY. You would have to rely on the remote all the time. I recommend keeping a few spare batteries.

P.S. Once Done You will love it. and thiefs will scratch their heads.

·
Registered
3,948 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Can someone post a picture of what the escutcheon looks like installed? I'm not quite picturing it.

Thanks.

D

·
Premium Member
2,609 Posts
I think "escutcheon" is a bit misleading, since that suggests to me some sort of old fashion protective cover that you'd swing open to access the keyhole. I think, however, that the replacement part mentioned above makes your driver's side door handle look just like the other remaining 3 door handles. To me, it is more like a "finisher". I couldn't find a good picture of the FX door handles (and my camera isn't handy) but this probably gets the idea across (even though this car obviously does not have the tech package).

I'm on the fence right now. I hate giving valets the entire keyfob because it is too difficult to explain in 10 words or less how the intellegent key works to a valet. But the real downside of not doing it is scary. Hey MGFR, do you know how to remove the existing one and install the replacement? Just pry on it somehow?

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
I never cared much for the "key lets the windows down" feature (esp. since I never use the key). I think I might just have my Infi dealer disable the wire that enables that function- problem solved (I always carry my wallet key, and would hate to have to lose that function).

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
kcrudup said:
I never cared much for the "key lets the windows down" feature (esp. since I never use the key). I think I might just have my Infi dealer disable the wire that enables that function- problem solved (I always carry my wallet key, and would hate to have to lose that function).
But if they can still get in by popping out the cylinder, as suggested above, disabling the window down feature wouldn't help either.

As for the replacement process, I believe it was described in the G35 thread referenced in the other thread; there's a screw that has to be accessed someplace... I'll have to look it up.

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Here are the solution instructions from the G35 forum on FA; likely the same for us:

SIMPLE METHOD:
This method means someone can come along, pry off the cap to expose the keyhole, and still lower your windows. But since the thief cannot see the keyhole and the cap isn't exactly easy to 'pop off', it may reduce the chances of a break-in. The bonus here is that in the event your battery dies, you would still be able to enter the vehicle with the key (by prying off the handle cap yourself).

1) Remove rubber grommet from door jam.
2) Loosen T-30 Torx Screw (if you're careful it will not fall down into the door, it has a pair of tabs to hold it in place - I had no problems).
3) While pulling handle out, wiggle the lock portion of the handle until it becomes somewhat free. It is connected by a metal rod (details later) that you must disconnect to fully disable this feature.
4) The lock tumbler has the plastic "handle cap" attached to it. It simply clips on. You can carefully pry it off and install the pass-side cap.
5) Reinstall tumbler.
6) Reinstall Torx screw.
7) Reinstall grommet.

EFFECTIVE METHOD:
If you're serious about this, you need to use this method. This will fully disable the window up/down with key feature. The downside to this is that you no longer have a method to enter your car in the event your keyless fob fails/battery dies.

1) Remove grommet.
2) Remove door panel (instructions are elsewhere on this forum). Lower window.
3) Find someone with small hands. Take a piece of electrical tape and attach one end of it around the small metal rod that links the lock tumbler to the lock mechanism. This rod is approx 3" long, connects to the tumbler with a purple clip and to the lock mechanism with a white clip. Keep the other end of the tape up outside the door - this will prevent the rod from falling in when you disconnect it.
4) Look inside hole and note the purple plastic clip. You must free this clip. I used a slot screwdriver to simply pry it off the rod. You can now disconnect it from the tumbler by pushing it toward the inside of the car.
5) Remove the lock tumbler as per steps 2 & 3 of Simple Method.
6) Lock doors.
7) Pry white plastic clip off the metal rod. The rod is now free and will fall into the door if you didn't attach it with tape (or by some other means). Trust me, I know!!
8) Mix up a small amount of epoxy and place a dab of the epoxy at the base of the black shaft that extends out from the lock mechanism to the white clip that originally held the rod. I put a dab on my finger and reached in through the hole where the lock tumbler originally was. ***This is important to do when the doors are locked because it will be held in the horizontal position. If you unlock the doors, the shaft can rotate south of horizontal and will engage the window-down feature. More on this later.***
9) Wait for epoxy to dry.
10) Reinstall tumbler with new "handle cap" installed.
11) Tighten Torx screw.
12) Replace grommet.
13) Replace door panel.

·
Premium Member
2,609 Posts
kcrudup said:
I don't like the feature either, but a thief won't know that you disabled the window and still try to break in -- probably damaging the lock. Covering the keyhole would hopefully be enough of a deterrent.

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
have many of you done this, and do you feel it does the job?

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Since I have originally posted this, I have had no complaints. I go to the Malls and shopping centers knowing that psychologically I have an advantage on car thiefs who just wants to make a quick breaK and keep on moving. The mod makes you not even waste the time trying to break in. I Hope.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,036 Posts
Anyone else order this? I am going to order from http://www.infiniti-parts.com/ I think.

Then I'm getting a magnetic box thingy to put an extra battery in.

So I'm supposed to order the rear Escutcheon right? Because its the same product id for the right side front one. Are they the same thing?

BTW it's only 13 bucks at infiniti-parts.com

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
No, I never did do it; I never drove or parked anywhere that theft is an issue. We brought it up Sat and recommended that Taylor go ahead and do it for the area that he'll be in.

·
Premium Member
1,036 Posts
I emailed infiniit-parts and asked which one fit the front, guess I gotta wait to order...

They also have the clutch pedal, I'll probably order that too since i'm ordering this anyway from there. 33 bucks total aint bad at all 8)

·
Registered
154 Posts
If you disable the key feature that will let the window go down, does this mean that you will not be able to lower your windows with the remote as well?

·
Premium Member
1,036 Posts
Can someone help me figure out how to install this thing? I got the keyhole cover thing, but have no idea how to get the other one off my car door :oops:

Until someone helps me out it looks like it's just going to be sitting in the garage...

OT: I used super glue for the g35 dlutch. I hope it stays. Whoops that didn't work. anyone know a better glue to use for the 3g5 clutch?

THANKS!

1 - 20 of 47 Posts