Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a bit of a problem with gear shift, the car runs perfect and the gear box seems to be fine, but i can NOT move to manual mode. If some one had the same problem pls help.

·
Premium Member
10,995 Posts
This might sound stupid, but are you moving the stick to the right (away from you)?

Also, what year is your FX? Check to see if it's 03-05 but has the chrom plate under the shifter. If so, someone might have modded the shift panel and it sometimes doesn't let the shift lever move very well... you may have to open it up and re-arrange the fitting a bit...

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
"re-arrange the fitting a bit..." should i do it my self or give it to profetional, or could it be some other crap, i dont realy want to mes up the dizl even further...

2 posts r just incase
thanks

·
Premium Member
10,995 Posts
You still didn't tell us what year your FX is and if the shifter panel has been "modded". If it's the OEM shifter panel, then there is no "re-arranging" that can be done. If you DO have an 03-05 with the "modded" chrome shifter panel from the newer FXs, then you can adjust it by yourself.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
2003 clean and no modification, the thing is there are no dealers within a 1000 miles and i love driving manual cars, this is an auto and not being able to use the manual is depresing, cuz i i need to be able to push the car.
I looked around but didnt find nothing on the net or forums concerning this problem.
so you r saing i will not be able to do much?

·
Premium Member
10,642 Posts
Try and pull off the aluminum console panel. If it was not put together correctly it can bind on the shifter.

First slide down the silver collar under the shift knob. It will expose a gold spring clip. Carefully remove it, as it can go flying and disappear. Then lift up on the knob to remove it. Then you can lift up the console trim by pulling it up. See if it will go into manual then.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
so i just pull the console trim up? no bolts, nothing? or do i need to take pull something off before the console?

·
Premium Member
10,995 Posts
Here's a link to the mod I was talking about...

viewtopic.php?t=12634

You can just follow the instructions to take off the panel... once it's off, do as johnmax suggested and try to put her over into manumatic mode with everything off... if you can do that, then there must be something in the panel blocking the shifter...

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
step 1, has no instructions,

plus it seems to me that its no the console but something deeper, (personal opinion)

·
Premium Member
10,995 Posts
Ponciky said:
step 1, has no instructions,
Whoops... heheh... just noticed that... it's pretty much be carefull and pull out the panel... if you can get your fingernails behind it and pull gentley from one side first, otherwise you can use a special tool or flathead screwdriver (covered with rag or something so you don't scratch up your panel)... behind should be a line connected to the clock... you'll probably have to squeeze something before it can be removed.... before you remove it, I suggest putting some colored tape on it first... apparently there's another plug back there that's not used but looks exactly the same... several people have plugged it in by accident and wondered why their clock stopped working.

Ponciky said:
plus it seems to me that its no the console but something deeper, (personal opinion)
Well, this is a good place to start. If it's something serious, take it to the dealership. If you really don't think this is the problem then just go to the dealership. However, it doesn't hurt (at least doesn't hurt your wallet) to check here first... if you read the full link I sent, there were people mentioning that the shifter panel sometimes got in the way when they wanted to move to certain gears or move over to manumatic mode. Buy taking off the panel, you may also see something that broke and fell down into the area, blocking it (or just some garbage)... a cleanup could be all you need, or if you need a new part, you can probably just order it and replace it yourself...

Just some food for thought... shouldn't take you more than 20 minutes to take off the 2 panels to see what's going on underneath... don't know how much longer it'll take you to figure out the problem, depending on what you see under there...

Good luck with it.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I appreciate you help; I will have a look tonight.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok taking it apart and putting back in place was no problem, but as i thought its not the panel, its some thing inside deeper.
i was forcing it again and it just looked like it was gona snap.
the strange thing is that the car works fine and the auto changes gears just fine.
the other problem is that the nearest dealer is about 1000 miles away.
there must be some other options... this sucks
my final option is to get blazed and forget it for a while.
thanks for helping.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Do you have a Nissan dealer around? They probably can help you too.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
when they c an infinity they refuse to take it, its like that with every nissan dealer. (im in eastern europe) ill probaly take it to a GM dealer near by, they work realy well, but they charge alot.
i was hopping some one would know whats up.

·
Premium Member
10,642 Posts
Were you able to take it apart enough to see if something fell down in the groove the shifter moves over into? You know like a coin or something. otherwise it'd be in the tranny, but that would be odd.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
it doesnt seem that way, and it would be a bit dificult for a coin to get there. i can continue in taking it apart even further, but putting it back would be too much fun.
so i gues im the only one with this problem.

·
Premium Member
4,763 Posts
Yep, I think you're the only one. I've never heard of that problem before.

·
Premium Member
10,995 Posts
Ponciky said:
so i gues im the only one with this problem.
Sorry if I sound like a broken record, but you're moving the stick to the right (away from you, towards passenger side)... right? It's counterintuitive...

Only reason why I'm asking again is that you're right... I've NEVER heard of this problem before...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey buddy did u solve ur problem?
I'm asking because I have those same issue as u
I just cant move shifter to manual position in my 2003 FX45!
I appreciate any advice !!!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts