Infiniti FX Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been trying for months to figure out this rattle from under the right side of my 2004 FX35. I've been under the car wiggling everything to see if I can figure it out, but nothing is loose. I hear it reflecting off the fences in my neighborhood and its much louder on the right side. It only happens when hitting bumps and has nothing to do with acceleration or braking.

I recorded the sound and hopefully I can link that mp3 here for you all to have a listen. Help me infinitifx.org, you're my only hope!

car sounds.mp3

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've been trying for months to figure out this rattle from under the right side of my 2004 FX35. I've been under the car wiggling everything to see if I can figure it out, but nothing is loose. I hear it reflecting off the fences in my neighborhood and its much louder on the right side. It only happens when hitting bumps and has nothing to do with acceleration or braking.

I recorded the sound and hopefully I can link that mp3 here for you all to have a listen. Help me infinitifx.org, you're my only hope!

car sounds.mp3

car sounds.mp3

I hear almost the same on the front right side when going over speed bumps. Sounds like a clunk. Annoying

·
Registered
2013 FX50S
9 Posts

car sounds.mp3

Here's a possibility: Small Exhaust leak.
If it sounds like a "ticking" driving past fences and highway barriers, that's what it could be. Anything bouncing back the sound at you. I had the same issue and couldn't find the cause until the Infiniti dealer told me I had a small exhaust leak on my Borla Cat-Back exhaust. I took it to a Meineke that had a welder, they used a rubber hose, held it to his ear, and found the small leak. 15 minutes of welding, and $50 later, the ticking was gone.

·
Registered
14 Posts

car sounds.mp3

Catalytic converter heat shield. Seams rust out and they rattle like crazy. Finally fixed mine with ~6" wide strips of galvanized steel, long enough to wrap completely around converter. Secure tightly with long SS hose clamps. There are 4 converters - do them all while you're at it.

·
Registered
30 Posts

car sounds.mp3

Look up by the exhaust manifold. There is a heat shield that probably rusted and fell against the exhaust pipe

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here's a possibility: Small Exhaust leak.
If it sounds like a "ticking" driving past fences and highway barriers, that's what it could be. Anything bouncing back the sound at you. I had the same issue and couldn't find the cause until the Infiniti dealer told me I had a small exhaust leak on my Borla Cat-Back exhaust. I took it to a Meineke that had a welder, they used a rubber hose, held it to his ear, and found the small leak. 15 minutes of welding, and $50 later, the ticking was gone.
Thanks for your reply. I think I should take it to a muffler shop and get their take, since it's not the kind of thing I can put my head next to. I even thought of having a friend drive while I open my door and hang my head under the car. Probably not the smartest idea.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Catalytic converter heat shield. Seams rust out and they rattle like crazy. Finally fixed mine with ~6" wide strips of galvanized steel, long enough to wrap completely around converter. Secure tightly with long SS hose clamps. There are 4 converters - do them all while you're at it.
Thanks cycleguy, I'll check that out. Hopefully that's it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts