Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A bodyshop I went to fix my hood said front chromed plastic couldn't be painted since paint wouldn't stay on. Is that true? I would like to do something with the grill like painting it in black except chrome trim and logo. I even talked to Stillen guy about that StreetScene's mash grill(I know that photo itself is not pretty) and he said even though it's about 4wks away from production, Stillen has a FX at its parking lot with SS's prototype grill on. I'm waiting for the picture.

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
What they said is true, paint will not stick to the finish as-is, however, it COULD be painted if the surface was prepped first. Youd have to sand the chrome finish off, then primer and wet sand it before painting it. Attempt this at your own risk. Anyone know what a replacement grill costs :?:

·
Registered
4,053 Posts
According to EverythingFX.com, you can buy a new grille for $231 (list $308) and the emblem for $31 (list $41).

topguy, maybe the route to go if you really want to do this is to buy the extra one and have your shop work on that one to black pearl it or whatever, that way you won't screw up the perfectly good one already on your car.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I called several body shops and they didn't want to do this job. Maybe they don't want to deal with redoing the surface.

I'm also considering swapping the current one with '05's. Or I will paint the mash grill in black with chrome emblem in the middle. I like the look of Jaguar S Type R's grill.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts