Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought 2010 FX35 3 months ago, and recently I followed others advice and changed to Blizzak winter tires. The next day, I have noticed there is a light scratch mark on the edge of the rim (front left wheel). I know it is a small scratch, but still bothers me as this is the first scratch on my car. I took my car back to the tire shop and they denied it and said it is impossible to scratch the face of the rims with their machine. And they claim the scratch mark on the rim doesn't look like the kind of mark that's created by their tire changing machine. Normally front left wheel won't hit the curb and I have been extremely meticulous with driving. And the OEM 18" wheel concave inside the tire, so the tires kind of protect the rims. Does it look it's something I did myself?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,763 Posts
prestorunner said:
I took my car back to the tire shop and they denied it and said it is impossible to scratch the face of the rims with their machine. And they claim the scratch mark on the rim doesn't look like the kind of mark that's created by their tire changing machine.
BS!!! They could have scratched it a dozen different ways while changing the tires out. The machine could have done it if used improperly or carelessly, or the guy mounting the tires could have been a douche and been careless with the wheel. In any case, its reasonable to think that a 3-month old vehicle that just had the tires changed, and now has a scratch on the wheel right next to the tire....it was likely caused by them.

·
Premium Member
10,995 Posts
GixxerSteve said:
it was likely caused by them.
...but you'll have a hard time proving it without documented BEFORE pictures... most tire shops are run by idiots that don't care about your car... during this time of year, they just want to go through as many customers in a day as possible (feast part of the year) and don't care about the quality of their service... that's why I ONLY bring my FX to reputable tire shops now... had a slow leak repaired on one tire once at WALMART and they butchered my rim... I learned the hard way and will NEVER go to a regular tire shop again...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I went to 1010tires/Volco to get my tires changed. They are pretty reputable. The thing is I can't prove it was caused by them.

·
Premium Member
4,763 Posts
prestorunner said:
I went to 1010tires/Volco to get my tires changed. They are pretty reputable. The thing is I can't prove it was caused by them.
Well I guess your FX has been christened then. There are plenty more scratches and dings to come in the years ahead -- its inevitable. Sorry.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Last year I had 4 new tires put on at Discount Tire near Seattle. As soon as I got my car I took it to the lot and inspected. All 4 rims ( 20s ) were sratched. The tire installer dropper one on to the face and left quit a large scratch, the other rims had a scatch all the way around the rim...I was pissed...went back in and showed them, no arguing, they admitted fault and they sent me a cheque for 1200 bucks to have them re finished. 300 a rim to get the 3 stage process from stock. i was happy with that. If a tire shop uses the wrong equipment they will scatch. go to an installer that sells high end rims, they have the touchless machines...

·
Premium Member
252 Posts
Unfortunately most tire shops will not even take responsibility for scratches to rims, I have even seen some with signs stating "we are not responsible" It is a fact of life that scratches may happen while mounting tires, but as mentioned a specialty shop is much less likely to damage wheels, and no - volco is not a "specialty shop"

·
Premium Member
2,054 Posts
Those no responsibility signs are complete BS and would likely not stand up in court.

The very first time installed new tires on my first FX, every single wheel was scratched. the shop gave the same nonsense that their machines could not have done it. Most I got was a refund of $80 for the labor. :roll:

·
Premium Member
4,763 Posts
So I guess the lesson learned is to inspect the wheels with the manager of the shop BEFORE and AFTER installation, and photograph the wheels BEFORE, to document any damage that may occur while tires are being installed.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
angus said:
Unfortunately most tire shops will not even take responsibility for scratches to rims, I have even seen some with signs stating "we are not responsible" It is a fact of life that scratches may happen while mounting tires, but as mentioned a specialty shop is much less likely to damage wheels, and no - volco is not a "specialty shop"
Would you recommend some good specialty shops in Vancouver? I thought Volco/1010tires is because they only sell rims/tires.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts