Infiniti FX Forum banner

caliper finish, oem (which treatment would you prefer??)

• leave em alone!!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • refinish them, but leave em natural color

• go with black paint

• go with red paint

• go with a body-colored (close) paint

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
I'd go with red. I think I may do it to mine also.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Spraypaint. I did this to my old Honda about 9 yrs ago w/ Rustoleum high temp spray paint (red, then clear coat). I just took the wheels off then covered the rotor w/ plastic and masking tape on moving parts and went to town with the can of paint. After doing a couple of coats, I gave it a final coat of clear gloss coat. Back in the day, I had alot of time on my hands :)

I gave my bro-in-law the Honda a couple of years ago and the last time I saw it (a few wks ago), it still looked like it was just put on... pretty impressed w/ it's longetivity.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I want my RED but unlike you guys I'm not a car fix it, take it apart person so the guy at the tire shop quoted me $200 to do it for me.

Still thinking it over. :idea:

·
Registered
69 Posts
If I were to do it, I'd go with red, partly because my FX is red. But instead of just painting to attract attention, how about replacing them with "Bremo" or "Wilwood" brakes. Then when ppl look at them and give you that head bob, you know they know what's up. I hate to say this but painted calipers are kinda "ricey". Been there done that on my Honda.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
vdo_game_junkie said:
If I were to do it, I'd go with red, partly because my FX is red. But instead of just painting to attract attention, how about replacing them with "Bremo" or "Wilwood" brakes. Then when ppl look at them and give you that head bob, you know they know what's up. I hate to say this but painted calipers are kinda "ricey". Been there done that on my Honda.
brembo doesnt offer a street or track big brake kit for the fx, baerclaw (my first choice) told me it'll be sometime in 2k5, and we are all holding our breath on the prodrive-usa applications (due out inabout 4 mos. per their site)

i have looked for this for sometime, but dont want to get into the 3500$ range as this car hauls to a stop very effeciently, imo

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Hey! That's my FX! Looks nice, I think I'll do it once the temps go back up beyond the 5 degrees it's been. BURRRR!

·
Premium Member
404 Posts
Re: CALIPER PAINT KIT!!

esemes said:
this looks like the ticket!!

cleaner/brush on paint, with hi-gloss paint....

CLICK FOR THE CALIPER PAINT KIT

[/url]
I used this same kit on my Vette, in a gloss black. 1 1/2 years later they still look like new. Easy to use, I'd highly recommend it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
FXwakeboard showed me this thread and I just did this on my S2000.

This Project took me about 3 days total. This mod is not difficult, but is a little time consuming and tedious if you want to ensure a quality job.

Some have chosen to grind down the casting marks on their calipers before the G2 system and others have not. It looks good either way and is a personal preference. It all depends on how much time you want to spend. If you want your calipers to look smoother like a profressional powder coat job, then you should grind. Grinding will give you that "Porsche" smooth factory caliper look.

The materials used are as follows:

- G2 caliper paint kit. Red = $31.00 on sale (http://www.decalgirl.com)
- Bright silver metallic "S2000" logos = $11.99 (http://www.decalgirl.com)
- 2 3/4' wide Artist brushes = $2.99 each (Ben Franklin crafts store)
- 1 small pointed Artist brush (for more detailed/hard to reach areas) = $2.99 (Ben Franklin crafts store)
- 1 Sunday edition Hbg Patriot Newspaper = .50 cents (QT)
- 2 Hefty Trash Bags = .05 Cents (Walmart)
- 1 Dremel #953 Alum. Ox. Grinding Stone = $3.95 (Home Depot)
- 1 Dremel #932 Alum. Ox. Grinding Stone = $3.95 (Home Depot)
- 1 BrakeKleen Brake Cleaner = $0.00 (Included in G2 caliper paint kit)
- 5ft. standard Masking Tape from your basement = Free

Tools used/optional

- Die grinder with wheel. This is a fast and easy way to remove those casting marks in SECONDS! You need to be very careful if you use this tool because if you press too hard, you can ding the metal. If you don't have one of these, then the Dreme grinding stones will do the same job, but will take longer. (borrowed from neighbor).
- Generic dremel tool. = $9.99 with 60 attachements. (Harbor Freight)
- Sanding drums- came in the 60 piece attachment kit above, fit any hand/dremel tool.

Safety

- WEAR GOGGLEs and a MASK when grinding! You don't need metal fragments in your eye or in your mouth!

PICTURES!PICTURES!PICTURES!PICTURES!PICTURES!

First, get your car up on jackstands. For best way to get your car up on jackstands, read the 2nd post here

Picture of my front caliper FULLY grinded down in all visible areas and smooth as glass. (5+ hours total for all four calipers over two days.

I put about 6 coats of G2 on the fronts and 4 on the rear. Instead of mixing the full amount of paint and reactor in one shot, I took 4 parts of paint using a plastic spoon, and 1 part reactor on a spoon into a small can. This small amount let me do 1 coat on all 4 calipers. I then, repeated the above until I got mutiple coats. I probably have enough left over to do one more coat on all the calipers. I'll save it for touch up down the road. If you mix it all at once like the instructions say, you will only have about 3 hours working time before the paint is hard and unusable.

Picture before logos:

Picture after front logos:

I did not put logos on the rear. To my eye, it didn't really look as balanced and I only favor them on the front - they look like they are made to go there....

Some full shots:

·
Premium Member
5,581 Posts
Very nice 8)

Welcome to the site.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Jason B said:
No. Thanks for the kind words.
very nice. do you have any pics of the cover calipers while painting the rotors? also, did you put aditional clear coats after you put the "S200" sticker on the calipers?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts