Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
now that we have choices in CAI , what input can be shared by others who have done mods. b4 & have used these sources. in other words i want to make the right/best choice , if there is one. improved MPG / vs. HP gain.

·
Registered
882 Posts
advantage goes to iether or. With Injen CAI you have problem of possible hydrolocking. They say you can use the bypass valve but that thing is SERIOUSLY a POS! You can make you injen CAI into a short ram and add a heat shield.
Stillen CAI draws air mostly from the front and not from within the engine bay.

Personally Z tube/pop chanrger or stillen CAI is the way to go. You get the HP without the cha ching but with the injen you get the bling.

Edit! I just learned the injen CAI is retailing for $285.99 Thats almost three hundred dollars for an intake. WTH? Are they crazy? 300 bux for a few HP gains at upper rpms that people rarely acheive on a daily basis.

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
The Injen will make more power hands down. This has been proven on the 350Z. Hydrolock risk should be at a minimum on this vehicle; we are high profile. You don't plan on driving through any 2 foot deep puddles, do you?

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
so even though you have a stillen, at this point you would rec. the Injen over it? is that correct?

·
Registered
39 Posts
And since this Injen CAI is made for the FX35.. does that mean we dont have to chop apart that stock accordian piece to make it fit right? Assembly easier? I've never modded a car to any extent.

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
To answer both of the above questions:

1. As far as my recommendation, I'll know for sure in a couple weeks once I help DAVESNELLING install the one he just ordered. I carried my Stillen over from my coupe when I traded, but when I had my coupe, I knew the Injen was the best performer and only chose the stillen b/c of potential hydroloc issues on that low car, which won't be a concern with the FX (unless you plan on fording any 2+ft deep streams). If I were buying an intake today for my FX, the Injen would be my first choice.

2. The Injen replaces everything in front of the throttle body (with the exception of the MAF section, which it integrates), so no accordian piece to mess with and no need for the separate Z tube. It further extends down into the bumper area, placing the filter in front of the radiator (a bit of speculation here, as I haven't actually seen it, but that's how it is on the Z and G), making it a true cold air intake. I'll make sure to take pics during the istall, do a write-up and hopefully will have before and after G-tech runs (though they may not show much right away since the ECM will need time to adjust).

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thank you. this should prove to be most informative, beneficial and an interesting side by side comparasion ...darn, it's only the 17th! I would rather go for all these "normal" performance upgrades, than spring for the more costly super chargers avail. - even though they are appealing.

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Well, if I had the option, I'd go for the supercharger in a heartbeat!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts