Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
p155, Jan 2005 issue of C&D, "Short Take" on Porsche Cayenne (V-6, not S model) - a few choice quotes:

- "the Cayenne, with its 247-hp, 3.2l VW-sourced V6, heralds a return of the disappointing Porsche"
- "the V-6 Cayenne delivered to our office...an alarming price of $55,630"
- "...you'll surely feel a deep sense of buyer's remorse ever time your driving moc hits the throttle..."
- "A second gear start is a characteristic of all Tiptronic S gearboxes... you'll annoy exactly two people, yourself and the driver in the car behind you"
- "If you simply must have the V-6, we recommend... the avoidance of eye contact with anyone... interested in a drag race"

·
Registered
138 Posts
I totally agree with the comments from C&D. I test drove the V6 too and found it sluggish.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Too Slow...

Too much weight for a V6, even the S version is kinda slow, the only way to go would be the Turbo, but being well over 90 grand, and crappy mpg, its not worth it.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
-Yeah, I read about that too, Go FX Go...
-I don't think Porsche is very happy with this new born Cayenne. Mayor changes coming soon.
-Would be awesome if they sale the twin turbo @ $60K, I know I'm dreaming, right?
- Like ShadyJC posted above, C&D commented about the Cay V-6 "....you'll annoy exactly two people, yourself and the driver in the car behind you" ouch, hurts!!!
- So at the price range, what the Cay can compete head to head now, cause the Honda CRV is much cheaper.

·
Registered
597 Posts
I never understood what niche exactly the " people's Cayenne " was supposed to fill :roll: . Once you began to load up the options, you'd end up looking @ a $55K vehicle plus taxes @ fees. Actually VW has a 3.6L 275HP V6 in its arsenal that for whatever reason wasn't used. Because the tweaked 3.2L paired with a " unique " exhaust system is clearly inadequate @ hauling so much mass.

·
Registered
662 Posts
It was a mistake.

·
Registered
236 Posts
It's what's next from the makers of the 914 and 924.

It's another underpowered, overpriced car with little to want beyond the Porsche crest. This follows many past Porsche classics with high prices, like the 911SC with its exploding clutches and airboxes and the famous cylinder studs that pulled out of the cases, the 944s with their bad engine mounts and water pumps, 928s with suspension and clutch problems, to name a few classic Pooches and their most famous features.

I stopped buying Porsches when 356s dried up (I've had and loved 6) - Porsche caught a terrible disease that makes them think they can sell anything here. Oh, wait a minute - they CAN! As much as I love the classics (my wife and I are "fossils" in our PCA region - I joined PCA in 1965), I wouldn't give them my $$ for today's products at today's prices.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,581 Posts
More important to me, I HATE the name. :twisted:

Cayenne = food spice, not a cool car :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
285 Posts
Sweet Fx said:
More important to me, I HATE the name. :twisted:

Cayenne = food spice, not a cool car :lol: :lol:
I guess it has a subliminal message “drive it and you may get heartburn…”
It still hard to beat for snob appeal.

·
Registered
187 Posts
My girlfriend and I test drove the V-6 Cay, when she was looking for a new car. She is a pretty slow driver, and was not really looking for anything special in the performance/handling category. Even she felt the Cay had horrible acceleration. You basically would have to floor the engine constantly to get the thing to go any where. I only see soccer moms driving them anyway. Any self respecting man would have to wear a brown paper bag over his head to drive one of these things. Although, I would like to see a hummer and cay do battle at a light. That would cause a traffic jam!

·
Premium Member
10,642 Posts
Whats with the FX35 "Type-S"? :?

·
Registered
779 Posts
A little off the topic but in regards to Type-S." Infiniti, just like Mercedes (AMG), BMW (M), Audi (S), Cadillac (V) and more, has to come up with a line of performance-oriented cars... This would bring their sales up.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Adding the S knocked 0.5 seconds off my 1/4 mile.......

Actually, I left my Mini alone with our FX for one night, and this is their illegitimate offspring.......

There's a thread on here somewhere about joke emblems - I've been doing this for years. I made my wife an AMG 300D sedan in 1983 - it drove my neighbors nuts when the dealer said there was no such thing (and I got more bang for the $15 the AMG badge cost me than I ever dreamed - people would stop my wife to ask how much the car was lowered or how much bigger the turbo was)!

The little Polo emblem I painted on the doors of my Bronco made my logo-encrusted neighbor call a Ford dealer to inquire about the special Polo edition (of which they denied all knowledge - go figure!)

OK - I'm weak. But I CAN'T STOP !!!!!!

·
Premium Member
10,642 Posts
I'm reminded of that "FX55" from a while ago :D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts