Infiniti FX Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,795 Posts
The coverlay just covers the dash with a thick vinyl. Not that attractive in my opinion. Buying a new one is basically a dealership only thing so be prepared to pay $1500 US for the part alone. If you get them to install it add $1000.

I suppose you could try a wrecker but finding one in good condition will be tough.

I plan on replacing or re-upholstering mine this spring as it is just starting to bubble at a few spots.

Reactions: Soundeng

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yeah - not lookin to just mask It - the car is in such beautiful shape - I'd rather get the real deal and fix it right...

The search begins.... lol

·
Registered
49 Posts
Mine is bubbling to in a very small spot above the air vents, and it is the only defect with my vehicle also. My car is very pristine. Only 77k Winter stored miles and flawless. But for its overall worth value, going to live with it. Not willing to sink 1K-2K into a vehicle only worth 7K....

·
Premium Member
1,795 Posts
Mine is bubbling to in a very small spot above the air vents, and it is the only defect with my vehicle also. My car is very pristine. Only 77k Winter stored miles and flawless. But for its overall worth value, going to live with it. Not willing to sink 1K-2K into a vehicle only worth 7K....
I am in exactly the same spot as you are but I really can't stand looking at the little bubble spots and know that they are just going to get worse. My car has 125000 Km (about 78K miles). Still drives very nicely, solid and beautiful, at least to me.

Reactions: stbentoak

·
Registered
4 Posts
Does anyone know if the 2003 FX dashes were bubbling as well? We found an ‘03 at a wrecker & the dash has no bubbling. We’re looking at using the dash to replace a bubbled one on an ’05.

·
Premium Member
1,795 Posts
2003 was most definitely affected. The vehicle that you found may have been replaced at some point through the 10 year extended warranty. Inspect it carefully. If there is only a couple of "bubbles" in the dash, it will get worse fairly fast each summer.

·
Registered
4 Posts
2003 was most definitely affected. The vehicle that you found may have been replaced at some point through the 10 year extended warranty. Inspect it carefully. If there is only a couple of "bubbles" in the dash, it will get worse fairly fast each summer.
Thank you for the reply. We haven’t been successful in determining whether or not this ‘03 dash was ever replaced because there’s no warranty information for the VIN. We have inspected it closely and there are no bubbles anywhere, so we’ll probably take a chance & install it ($200. for the used dash compared to $2500-$3000. to have a dealer put in a new one).

·
Premium Member
1,795 Posts
It's a pretty big job to re and re the dash. If you can, document and post your procedure. There isn't much of a DIY available other than a sped up youtube video from one of the dealerships.

·
Registered
4 Posts
It's a pretty big job to re and re the dash. If you can, document and post your procedure. There isn't much of a DIY available other than a sped up youtube video from one of the dealerships.
The guy from the wreckers removed the “good” dash from the ‘03 & charged us $200. for the dash including the removal. He said it took about 2 hours to remove, but said that he took his time. My son will eventually replace the bubbling ‘05 dash with this ‘03 one, but he’s not in a hurry because the ‘05 dash isn’t too bad right now. He’s a bit of a backyard mechanic so I’m sure he’ll figure it out. When he does get around to doing it, I will ask him to document the steps.

·
Premium Member
1,795 Posts
2 hrs is pretty fast. I am expecting to spend a weekend removing and re-installing when I get around to it. I'm also thinking of removing it and getting a local upholstery shop to re-cover the old one and then re-installing. My FX is in mint condition otherwise but the dash is getting much worse now. It's a little embarrassing.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yes, our vehicle is in mint condition & other than the dash as well. The dash just started bubbling about a year ago. It’s not too bad yet, but I’m sure it will get much worse. If we hadn’t found the used dash panel, we were going to look into that that plastic piece that you silicone on. It was a cover that we saw online at Rock Auto, but we had only briefly read up on it.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts