Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure when it happened, but this morning I noticed that the driver's side fog light lens is cracked and has about a 1" square piece of the glass missing. After close examination, it appears to be pretty thick glass, too. Must have been hit by a rock at high speed. :shock: The bulb is still intact and works fine, though. Anyone else have this happen? I seem to remember someone on the board having a parts price list. Do you have the price for a replacement lens?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
http://www.infiniti-parts.com/

Search under 'Parts' - 'Parts Catalog' and select yr/model and select 'collision'

Under Front lights:

Fog Assembly - $129.10
Part #:

·
Registered
117 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
sucks

Ya this happend to me about 50k miles ago! Dealer said we have to replace the whole thing...i have left it alone since than besides it lookign ugly if u look at it there is no problem, it works and all but just has cracked glass!

·
Registered
117 Posts

·
Premium Member
368 Posts
Ah for crying out loud! Walking past my FX today and I'm like WTF is this? Huge hole in my drivers side fog light! Bulb is ok but lens is toast. I took a quick look and it's not easily accessable. Is this something I can replace myself ? I would rate my mechanical ability at "moderate". Weird thing is, I didn't even feel that rock! Stupid rocks! GRRR But I'd rather a fog light than a paint chip or ding any day! :) BTW, that link shows the price as $0.00, does that mean they are out of stock?

·
Registered
329 Posts
yep

I am now at 94k and i still haven't replaced it and the bulb still works so if it doesnt bother u don't change it...

·
Premium Member
368 Posts
I don't know man, it looks pretty hideous. And with the awful snowy crappy weather coming, I don't want it to be an ice scoop.

Anyone know if this is easily user replaced? I'm afraid the dealer will charge an arm and a leg.

·
Registered
436 Posts
That suks man.... sorry. Better get them replaced before snow hits. I have'nt tried to remove my bumper yet but it does'nt look to difficult. So just buy the part and intall them yourself.

·
Premium Member
368 Posts
Dealer quoted $326 for the job. JEEEEZ! I'm going to try to get under there this weekend but I have an appointment for Monday just in case. Thats one expensive fog light!

·
Registered
4 Posts
It seems that it will happen to all of these lenses as they are so low to the ground but there is a solution.

My lens was cracked diagonally with a small hole in it. I went out and found a dealer that carries a product called "ricochet." It's a clear plastic sheet that will stop rocks from cracking the lens. The 8mm product can stop a BB at 8ft, I went for the 20mm. The cost was $40 for both lens installed and I haven't had another problem with the cracked lens or the other light in over a year.

I'd put it on the lenses even if you don't have a problem as it's cheap insurance. Make sure though you get the right product, as the plastic coating they use to protect the paint will melt on the lens.

·
Premium Member
4,763 Posts
FXGEEK said:
Is this something I can replace myself ? I would rate my mechanical ability at "moderate".
FXGEEK said:
Dealer quoted $326 for the job. JEEEEZ! I'm going to try to get under there this weekend but I have an appointment for Monday just in case. Thats one expensive fog light!
First of all, I will actually drive to wherever you are to replace your fog light for $326!! ****!!! I had my drivers side fog light crack about 3 days after I bought it. There was no way I was going to pay the dealer $300 to replace it, and there was no way I was going to pay $130 for one Infiniti fog light assembly. I bought my replacement lamp at Partstrain.com for $91 (yes, its true my fog light doesn't have the "Nissan" embossed on the glass lens, but when was the last time you got down on your hands and knees and looked that closely??)

Install is not complicated, just time consuming because unless you remove the entire bottom trim, you are just reaching up in there and can't actually see what you are doing. I removed the bolts on the drivers side bottom trim just enough to reach in and work on the lamp. If I remember correctly, there are two bolts holding the lamp in place. You will need a short socket or wrench for that. The hardest part was screwing in the bolts on the new assembly; there is one on the top that is a pain in the ass!! Since I didn't have any instructions, I can't give you better info than that. It is not complicated, definately worth the time to save yourself $326!!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just recently went through this with my 2004 FX45....I noticed that one day while driving my reflection of one of my fog lamps was out.....ticked me off because I just got the car detailed and in pristine condition and then I get this annoyance - a cracked open and busted fog lamp - from road debris......I found out from the dealer that they charge $340.00 for the part and installation....needless to say I searched for the exact Fog Lamp on Ebay and found the perfect match for $45.00.......its a Nissan Part and also can fit for the Maxima/M35/45 I believe......Installation is a ROYAL BITCH so I would advise finding a good mechanic you trust to lift the SUV up in the air and be able to remove the entire under bumper protector....and then work to remove the broken fog lamp and reinstall the new one..........took a group of 3 guys about 45min to get it put in........it was a pain in the butt for them but because he is my main mechanic he charged me $0.........I wish anyone the best of luck in this annoying repair task.......unless you have such garage capabilities/tools - dont do this installation yourself !!!!!

Dr.Ali

·
Registered
640 Posts
Wow seems like alot of drivers side fog lights breaking. I found mine busted out too last week. Dealer quoted $200 to replace one. I went on eBay and bought angel eye replacements for $99 for a pair.

I will try and do it myself. Looks like I have to drop the underside airdam to get at it.

2006 Black FX35

Codeggs

·
Premium Member
54 Posts
mine is broken too

I have been driving with the broken driver side fog lamp for a year now as the light works perfectly.
But now I have decided to change it. I understand I have to replace the whole thing, not just the lens.

I want to buy the one on ebay that costs 87 bucks by the pair.

Has anyone bought this before? Is it good quality? Would you buy a pair - only one of them is broken - just to make sure that they look exactly the same?

Any advice is appreciated!
Thanks

·
Premium Member
4,763 Posts
Re: help please

keattila said:
Anyone, do you have any experience with these fog lights as I wrote above? thanks :?:
Looks like 'UNCFerzaan' purchased the eBay fog lights in this post, 'GAZZZAN' purchased them over here http://www.infinitifx.org/phpBB2/viewto ... t=ebay+fog , and 'sendtochi' purchased them over here http://www.infinitifx.org/phpBB2/viewto ... t=ebay+fog. They had nothing bad to say about them, I would assume they are just as good as the aftermarket ones on other websites. Perhaps you can PM them to see what their long-term experience has been. :idea:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts