Infiniti FX Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am hearing all this stuff about breaking a new car in and training the ecu..when does that happen?...

·
Registered
779 Posts
Regarding training your ECU... The ECU constantly learns on your driving habits. If you drive it fast, it will learn to change gears accordingly.
As to the break-in period... I am not sure whether it is necessary (and many will have different opinions here) but in my opinion it is always good to start easy and then gradually increase the stress on the engine...
Kris

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
well...there are two lines of thinking with this:

(1) drive at varying speeds for the first 1500 miles and then ride it hard to train the ecu to respond faster to hard driving

(2) in the first 150 miles, break the engine in with a systematic series of 100 rpm to near redline (600 rpm) and then coast back to 1000 rpm drills in gears 1 to 3 about 5 times in each. this is to drain the oil from the cylinders and then flood them and push oil past the rings to help seat things and break the engine in for hard driving.

i did the first method with the first FX and the second with my new one. im driving my new FX wide open already and its running great.

the second method came from another member (brnjug) and he is very experienced with racing cars, engines and has an FX45 with some cool mods as well. he has run many different kinds of cars and broken in engines as well so there is great real world experience there.

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
I remember some people on FA got plant tours of the Nissan plants, and one thing y'all should know is that with 0 miles on the clock, Nissan puts your cars thru a cold-water-in-the-face wakeup:

http://forums.freshalloy.com/ubbthreads ... 5&o=7&vc=1

When the car is finished, it is placed on a dyno and the car is accelerated to very high speed. And I was worried about keeping my G under 4000 rpm during break-in.
http://forums.freshalloy.com/ubbthreads ... =5&o=&vc=1

The finished cars are then started and then wait in line for a dyno and rolling test- they race the cars to over 100mph and then slam on the brakes- quite shocking to someone who babies their new cars!
I'm of the "drive it on day one like you're going to from that day on" camp, so this is just more evidence to back that up.

·
Premium Member
256 Posts
NOW ya tell me ! #-o

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
As a result of the recent engine deal I worked out...a side comment was the VK motors that consume oil are virtually all driven soft.The "beaten" ones work fine

no science here,just a comment!

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
brnjug said:
... the VK motors that consume oil are virtually all driven soft. The "beaten" ones work fine.
:twisted:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.