Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new here and have been doing some searching but havent really found what i am looking for.

I want to upgrade my rotors and step up to a larger size rotor(lots of room to fill in the 22's) without spending the crazy $$$$ on a full kit with new calipers too. Does anyone know of a kit that has larget rotors and relocation brackets for the stock calipers? I had a kit like this for my Integra years ago and was hopeing that i might find a kit for my FX. thanks in advance guys and gals. :D

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
whats up, 12 hours, 19 people looking and yet not a single reply? thats no gool. lol

·
Premium Member
10,995 Posts
That's probably cause all 19 have no idea what you're talking about... LOL...

j/k

There have been many brake upgrades done by peeps on this forum... I think most cases they did not upgrade the calipers but you'll hafta wait till one of those guys logs on to see what they did...

Here's a sticky DIY where they used stock calipers to get you started:

http://www.infinitifx.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=16792

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. well i hpe everyone else logs on soon. HAHA. thanks for the link, i have read that several times even though he didnt do what i was looking to do. i want to find a kit to upgrade from the factory size rotors to say a plus 2 size rotor using the factory calipers. it made a huge difference on my Integra with out breaking the bank.

·
Premium Member
4,763 Posts
I'm one of those 19 people who looked but didn't respond. After thinking about your question, here is my response. I have two thoughts:

1) I have never seen a kit that upgrades the size of the rotor but maintains the stock caliper for the FX. 99% sure it doesn't exist. There was talk about retrofitting a new G37 rotor and caliper to the FX (because they are bigger), but I don't think that idea went anywhere.

2) I don't see how making the rotor larger yet using the stock caliper would improve any braking performance. If you are using the stock caliper, and its designed for for stock diameter rotor.......isn't the contact area of the brake pads going to be the same regardless of the size of the rotor?? I don't think you can put larger pads on the stock calipers, but maybe I'm incorrect.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
you braking gets better by you have more leverage with larger rotors. kind of like using a breaker bar on a socket. its still the same socket, but now you have more power to move it, or in our case more power to stop it. i did the upgrade on my integra (front and rear) and it took at least 20 feet off my 60-0 stop distance. it makes a BIG difference.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
a bigger contact area also makes your brakes better, but its usually easer to put latger rotors on then larger calipers. plus larger rotors can cool off quicker than the stock size bc they have more surface area to disapate the heat through.

·
Premium Member
2,027 Posts
Cosmetically I'm sure it would look better.

What bothers me about this post a little though is whether it would impact how well the fronts and rears work together. You wouldn't want things to get unbalanced.

To make a silly eaxample, suppose you had the fronts braking really, really hard and the rears not at all. The vehicle would nose dive and become difficult to handle.

No idea if this is right or not but just thinking out loud I'm not sure I'd want to risk altering the relative stopping force of the fronts to rear or vice versa. This dynamic on the FX is already sort of odd. The rears bite very hard as many of us have noted it's the first vehicle we've owned where the rears wear faster than the fronts.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
this is true, you would not want to upset the balance. but by keeping the stock calipers, you still have the same clamping force, you just change the leverage my using a larger rotor. if you upgrade both the front and rear equally, you will also keep the braking balance equal. Like i said, i have done it before, on my car, and several others, and it works wonderfully. all i am looking for is someone that knows someone that makes this type of kit.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Guys,
I just swapped 09 FX50 4-piston calipers and 14" rotos onto my 04 FX35. Everything was a direct bolt on! I got everything from Rockauto. Brake calipers, rotors, & pads (All Stop-tech) for around $360. The stock setup was around $300 so not much of a cost difference which is why I pulled the trigger. The only issue I had was clearing my stock 20" wheels. I had to add a wheel spacer for the larger caliper. I ended up going with a 1/2" or 15mm wheel spacer. This was a direct bolt-on spacer from Ebay. Got all four spacers for around $70. I also upgraded all brake lines to Stainless steel lines from Stop-tech. The lines ran me about $120. While I was at it I also replaced the rear rotors, pads, & lines. I have around $600 into the swap which is cheap compared to a big brake kit.

I will be bleeding the system between today and tomorrow and will let everyone know if it was worth it. 4-pistons compared to 1 piston so i'm sure i'll see a big difference in braking.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,698 Posts
Very nice. Stoptech is a name that I would trust on our vehicles. Been around for a while.

How much more would it have been for their drilled or slotted discs?

·
Premium Member
1,698 Posts
The 15 mm spacers make for a nice flush look on the outside as well. I have been considering 15 or 20mm spacers on mine for some time.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I did a similar thing with my front brakes as many other have here as well. Upgrading to the bigger stock brakes from a g37s or fx50s is usually your best bang for the buck.

I haven't seen any of the plus-size rotor kits that use stock calipers for our cars, but you may have some luck finding something for a G37 that would likely also fit our cars.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I finally finished my swap and I love the way my FX stops now! The FX50 front brake swap is definitely worth the money. The 15mm spacers also make the FX look a bit more aggressive! Great bang for your buck! Get rid of those stock single or dual piston caliper and go for the 4-piston FX50 ones!

·
Registered
22 Posts
I finally finished my swap and I love the way my FX stops now! The FX50 front brake swap is definitely worth the money. The 15mm spacers also make the FX look a bit more aggressive! Great bang for your buck! Get rid of those stock single or dual piston caliper and go for the 4-piston FX50 ones!
Nice...any after pics?? You said they are from RockAuto...are the calipers the original Akebonos? They look like them or are they Stoptech OEM copies? Thx...thinking of doing this to my 06.

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
126 Posts
nice brakes is such a nice visual upgrade for a sporty vehicle. Your calipers look a bit rough, are they OEM remans? I would've been very tempted to powdercoat/paint them before install

1 - 17 of 17 Posts