Infiniti FX Forum banner

21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,849 Posts
Rich in Almaden said:
Is this normal for the FX?
Yes. I don't have the sport suspension but my FX has the same symptoms, you get used to it. And it's actually kind of fun :) .

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Thanks everyone for your input/comments. It's good to know that there is nothing wrong with the vehicle.

I think I'll eventually try a lighter set wheels and tires and see if that helps relieve some of the hop - I feel that the tracking of ruts prolly won't improve with a different set as that symptom is geometry related (with tires having some minor impact - unless the tires are total crap).

In the end - thanks again for everyone's input.

Cheers,
Rich

·
Premium Member
1,824 Posts
Hey Rich in Almaden,
You should post a pic of your Gt640 - I think a few of us would love to see it!
Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,707 Posts
Does everyone in CA have an air conditioned garage, dropped ceiling and tiled floor?

·
Premium Member
10,995 Posts
BTW, I'm riding on 18s and haven't noticed any "hopping" of the tires... wonder if this is just because of the smaller tire walls on the 20s... although the car does follow the road a bit, it's nothing like my dam SC430...

·
Premium Member
4,763 Posts
Booboobaba said:
Does everyone in CA have an air conditioned garage, dropped ceiling and tiled floor?
Could be the dealership? Perhaps a current picture with the GT would be cool. :idea:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Booboobaba said:
I sure don't - that picture is from the dealers showroom

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
GixxerSteve said:
Booboobaba said:
Could be the dealership? Perhaps a current picture with the GT would be cool. :idea:
It looks the same - only difference is the tires, some interior bits, suspension and the performance modifications.

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
Lovely other car

Had a friend living outside of NYC with a FX35 and spacers on his rims.The spacers caused the tires to ride on the inner banks of the deeply rutted roads in his area...so it was always hunting to come down to the bottom..Bad scene and finally went with aftermarket rims with offset to solve the problem

I am guessing your roads are better

·
Registered
105 Posts
20" wheels tracking the road

Hi Rich, You are fortunate you don't have the '04 or earlier version as the suspension was much firmer then. Not only did those fx's track more and jump cracks on curves but you got jostled about at the slightest road imperfection. I thought my kidneys would not outlive my FX45 '04 with 20".
I posted this same complaint back in 2005 but at that time hardly anyone indicated similar problems.
I traded up to my current FX45 '06 also with 20" wheels.
Although the ride is softer even with the sport suspension, I found that the jumping cracks and tracking ruts only started showing up in both vehicles as the tires wore to close to the end of their lives. My impression is that they no longer had the necessary lateral grip to stay true to the road. In spite of this characteristic, i would not exchange it for any other SUV. How many miles on your FX? When did your wife start noticing the tracking?

I plan to change tire brands also as the RSA's with 27,000 miles are worn out. i don't abuse tires so I find that the RSA don't provide a decent lifetime, but produce a harsh ride. Really no redeeming qualities. However here in Ontario Canada, I definately need all season tires with good snow and ice traction. I see that there have been several suggestions for tires, but many are summer only.
Perhaps i should check other threads on replacement tires.

Anyone have a thread recommendation?

·
Premium Member
10,995 Posts
The Yoko Parada Spec-X have been mentioned as having better winter traction than OEM, but living in Ontario also, I'd suggest getting winter tires on cheap 18" rims...

Not sure what other threads there are that talk about good all-seasons though... when I'm done killing my OEMs I plan on going Parada Spec-X for summer and Dunlop Winter M3's for winter... heard the Yoko's also ride much nicer than the OEMs as well...

·
Registered
105 Posts
Suspension, Brakes, Tires, and Rim Problems

Thanks Datman,
I just retired and moved to a condo in Mississauga so 4 extra tires on rims are not a storage solution. The RSA's served me well in the winter so I expect the Yoko and perhaps Hankoks may as well. Its just a matter of finding a local dealer at a good enough price. There is always the option of picking them up in the USA. But I would have to make the RSA's last until next December when we retreat to Florida for the winter.

·
Premium Member
10,995 Posts
Check out Tire Rack at:

http://www.tirerack.com

They deliver to Canada and take all the guesswork out of duty and brokerage charges... and it's still usually less than you'll pay for the same tire here...

Also, if you buy your tires from a local retailer, they usually have a stocking option for your other tires. I know most dealerships do it. You pay a nominal charge for storage and swapping out tires in the spring and fall, but I actually prefer it over storing them and swapping them myself (I'm lazy). I'm also looking at buying a condo in the near future (I hate mowing lawns and shovelling snow) so I'll probably be going this way...

·
Premium Member
10,995 Posts
Oh... one last thing... I used to store tires in Mississauga on another car a while back... it was over 10 years ago now so I forget the name and address of the shop, but I know they offer this service in Mississauga...

·
Premium Member
3,233 Posts
Re: Suspension, Brakes, Tires, and Rim Problems

FXing4FUN said:
... we retreat to Florida for the winter.

Retreat is a fine word.

This time next year, I'll have retreated to somewhere in the SW, myself- 8)

·
Registered
105 Posts
Wireboltman said:
FXing4FUN said:

Retreat is a fine word.

Hi Wireboltman,
wishing you a fine southern retreat next year. is this a relocation for retirement or just a move? have you considered any place in particular?
Impressed with your mods. which do you cherish the most? which gave you the most handling/power boost?
I guess the KDW's aren't the best for snow seeing you have blizzaks as well. I'm undecided between the all seasonal Yoko's and the hankoks myself. Michigan sure gets its share of snow. Where is UP of Michigan?

·
Premium Member
3,233 Posts
FXing4FUN said:
Wireboltman said:
FXing4FUN said:

Retreat is a fine word.

Hi Wireboltman,
wishing you a fine southern retreat next year. is this a relocation for retirement or just a move? have you considered any place in particular?
Impressed with your mods. which do you cherish the most? which gave you the most handling/power boost?
I guess the KDW's aren't the best for snow seeing you have blizzaks as well. I'm undecided between the all seasonal Yoko's and the hankoks myself. Michigan sure gets its share of snow. Where is UP of Michigan?
Getting a little of track, here-----just for a little bit- 8)

I'm retiring in about 5 weeks. It'll take the rest of the year for the dust to settle from closing down my small electrical business. The business is 59 yrs. old. I'll still have monthly bookwork and reports every month for the rest of the year, but I'll be stopping taking any new work as I've started to do, now. Feels a little strange giving somebody that answer, I'll have to say.
Ongoing work will need to be finished, of course.

I'm quite a ways North of you.
Have a look.
http://www.mapquest.com/directions/main ... mi&2z=&r=f

We get about 250"-300" of snow up here every winter.
-18F at 6AM this morning.

AZ and Southern CA will be my quarters this time next year.
Phoenix area in AZ and Huntington Beach in CA
That's the plan, anyhow- :D

As far as how I've modified the car, I hate to steer this thread any further away than where I'm going already.
You can pm me if you have any questions.

·
Premium Member
4,763 Posts
Re: 20" wheels tracking the road

FXing4FUN said:
I see that there have been several suggestions for tires, but many are summer only.
Perhaps i should check other threads on replacement tires.

Anyone have a thread recommendation?
There are several recommended 'all season' tires on this forum, such as the Yokohama Parada Spec-X, Hankook Ventus ST RH06, and Falken Ziex S/TZ-04. Here are some threads you might want to read through:

http://www.infinitifx.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=11065
http://www.infinitifx.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=9462
http://www.infinitifx.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=12961

·
Premium Member
4,763 Posts
Wireboltman said:
-18F at 6AM this morning.

AZ and Southern CA will be my quarters this time next year.
Phoenix area in AZ and Huntington Beach in CA
That's the plan, anyhow- :D
Since we're already off topic.....

WBM, congrats on your upcoming retirement! Must be a great feeling to know that you're finally puting all that WORK behind you! :lol: Looks like you'll be down in this part of the country next year. Surely nice weather here; partly sunny and 63F today. Perhaps that's why they moved the Match Play Championship from SoCal to Tucson. http://www.dovemountain.com/championship/

Okay, back to the tires......

21 - 40 of 52 Posts