Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
'06 AWD, Sport suspension, 20" factory wheels/tire package

We've noticed our FX hops and shifts somewhat when hitting bumps in the road. We've also noticed it tracks hard with ruts in the road (especially while braking).

More corrective input is needed in this vehicle than any other I've driven. Have not had much experience with other FXs - so I can't compare myself...

Does anyone else have an issue with this?

Is this normal for the FX?

Is there a fix?

Note:
We've had a 4-wheel alignment done to make sure everything was properly sorted.
All suspension components checked out to be good.

Thsnks,
Rich
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
10,645 Posts
What pressure are you running in your tires? Alot of FXs come with the pressure way too high, which can cause symptoms like yours. Should be at about 32-34 psi.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,233 Posts
Rich in Almaden said:
'06 AWD, Sport suspension, 20" factory wheels/tire package

We've noticed our FX hops and shifts somewhat when hitting bumps in the road. We've also noticed it tracks hard with ruts in the road (especially while braking).

More corrective input is needed in this vehicle than any other I've driven. Have not had much experience with other FXs - so I can't compare myself...

Does anyone else have an issue with this?

Is this normal for the FX?

Is there a fix?

Note:
We've had a 4-wheel alignment done to make sure everything was properly sorted.
All suspension components checked out to be good.

Thsnks,
Rich
If your tire pressure is correct and there's no alignment issue, then you may have bought the wrong vehicle, possibly.

Part of the driving experience is everything you're talking about.

This is not a vehicle you can steer with your knees- 8)

The big tires on the FX will take you hither and yon on any road that's not flat.
Any kind of "dish" in the road surface and the FX will be sucked one way or the other. You need to be hanging on to the wheel and be aware that's what going to happen. Becomes reflexive, after awhile.
Completely normal.

As far the FX as jumping around when hitting bumps----slowing down will take care of that.

Good luck-
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
johnmax said:
What pressure are you running in your tires? Alot of FXs come with the pressure way too high, which can cause symptoms like yours. Should be at about 32-34 psi.
32 cold all around - thanks for the input
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wireboltman said:
you may have bought the wrong vehicle, possibly.
This vehicle is for my wife - this is what she wanted and she loves it.

Wireboltman said:
This is not a vehicle you can steer with your knees- 8)
Golly, thanks for letting me know - that must be what we're doing wrong...

Wireboltman said:
As far the FX as jumping around when hitting bumps----slowing down will take of that.
So,,, I should slow down to what speed on the freeway???


Thanks for all the constructive comments Wireboltman. This is not the first vehicle she's driven with large wheels/tires, but it is the first with tight suspension and steering geometry in an SUV/COV.

-------

Now, does anyone else have some valueable input. If this is normal for the vehicle, then she's going to have to live with it as it's not too intrusive.

If this isn't normal, then I would love to hear other constructive comments.

I'm wondering if it's due to the heavy 20" wheels and sport suspension.

Has anyone gone to lighter wheels and found this symptom to diminish?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
57 Posts
It's a tradeoff issue. You bought an FX with the Sport suspension, which means you can blitz freeway onramps at high speeds, but in exchange you get the stiffness over bumps and the tendency to follow grooves and dips.

My wife has a Mercedes CLK430 that REALLY follows every imperfection in the pavement; I find the tradeoff in my FX a lot easier to cope with. Once you've gotten used to it you'll be able to enjoy.[/u]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
LA Gator said:
It's a tradeoff issue. You bought an FX with the Sport suspension, which means you can blitz freeway onramps at high speeds, but in exchange you get the stiffness over bumps and the tendency to follow grooves and dips.

My wife has a Mercedes CLK430 that REALLY follows every imperfection in the pavement; I find the tradeoff in my FX a lot easier to cope with. Once you've gotten used to it you'll be able to enjoy.[/u]
Thanks Gator - sounds like this is normal for the vehicle.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,763 Posts
Valuable input to follow:

When I saw the title of this thread, I immediately thought to myself....its the crappy RSAs. Although the vehicle does skip around while going over bumps/expansion joints/etc (which is due to the oversized tires and stiff suspension), in my experience the problem is diminished when you change out the stock Goodyear RSAs with some better aftermarket tires. When I first got my FX and it had the stock RSAs, I would feel the rear end practically sliding around when I went over small bumps in the road. Seemed like no grip at all. Once I mounted some new Yokohama Parada Spec-X, it was not as noticeable. I'm not saying the problem went away, but the Goodyears are just crappy tires all around (poor treadwear, expensive, and poor grip).

You're probably going to have to adjust to the FX, as this is a driver's vehicle and it is not as forgiving as, lets say, a Lexus. Tighter suspension, more responsive steering, etc. Once your tires wear down, I would suggest replacing them with some Yokohama Paradas or Hankook Ventus'.

Valuable input has ended.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
10,645 Posts
Yeah the 45 with 20s ride firm. It was designed that way. Yes sometimes Lexus buttery softness would be nice, but the FX is actually made with sport in mind, not just called sport like some other suvs/cuvs. You get used to it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
GixxerSteve said:
Valuable input to follow:
in my experience the problem is diminished when you change out the stock Goodyear RSAs with some better aftermarket tires.
Valuable input has ended.
Thanks Steve - valuable input indeed :D

I'll prolly do just as you advise come time for new tires,

Cheers
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
johnmax said:
Yeah the 45 with 20s ride firm. It was designed that way. Yes sometimes Lexus buttery softness would be nice, but the FX is actually made with sport in mind, not just called sport like some other suvs/cuvs. You get used to it.
Thanks John
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
johnmax said:
Yeah the 45 with 20s ride firm. It was designed that way. Yes sometimes Lexus buttery softness would be nice, but the FX is actually made with sport in mind, not just called sport like some other suvs/cuvs. You get used to it.
Thanks John
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,233 Posts
Rich in Almaden said:
Wireboltman said:
you may have bought the wrong vehicle, possibly.
This vehicle is for my wife - this is what she wanted and she loves it.

Wireboltman said:
This is not a vehicle you can steer with your knees- 8)
Golly, thanks for letting me know - that must be what we're doing wrong...

Wireboltman said:
As far the FX as jumping around when hitting bumps----slowing down will take of that.
So,,, I should slow down to what speed on the freeway???


Thanks for all the constructive comments Wireboltman. This is not the first vehicle she's driven with large wheels/tires, but it is the first with tight suspension and steering geometry in an SUV/COV.

-------

Now, does anyone else have some valueable input. If this is normal for the vehicle, then she's going to have to live with it as it's not too intrusive.

If this isn't normal, then I would love to hear other constructive comments.

I'm wondering if it's due to the heavy 20" wheels and sport suspension.

Has anyone gone to lighter wheels and found this symptom to diminish?
Wireboltman said:
If your tire pressure is correct and there's no alignment issue, then you may have bought the wrong vehicle, possibly.


Good luck-


As I believe I stated quite clearly---everything sounds completely normal.

(Seems you forgot to include the first part of my sentence)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Wireboltman said:
As I believe I stated quite clearly---everything sounds completely normal.

(Seems you forgot to include the first part of my sentence)
I didn't include a lot of what you stated - I had a hard time getting past all the "invaluable" information you provided.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
261 Posts
GixxerSteve said:
Valuable input to follow:

When I saw the title of this thread, I immediately thought to myself....its the crappy RSAs. Although the vehicle does skip around while going over bumps/expansion joints/etc (which is due to the oversized tires and stiff suspension), in my experience the problem is diminished when you change out the stock Goodyear RSAs with some better aftermarket tires. When I first got my FX and it had the stock RSAs, I would feel the rear end practically sliding around when I went over small bumps in the road. Seemed like no grip at all. Once I mounted some new Yokohama Parada Spec-X, it was not as noticeable. I'm not saying the problem went away, but the Goodyears are just crappy tires all around (poor treadwear, expensive, and poor grip).

You're probably going to have to adjust to the FX, as this is a driver's vehicle and it is not as forgiving as, lets say, a Lexus. Tighter suspension, more responsive steering, etc. Once your tires wear down, I would suggest replacing them with some Yokohama Paradas or Hankook Ventus'.

Valuable input has ended.

+1

(We've noticed our FX hops and shifts somewhat when hitting bumps in the road. We've also noticed it tracks hard with ruts in the road (especially while braking). )

I noticed this also when I have my stock RSAs, I changed my tires to Yokohama Parada Spec X . The RSAs has a stiffer sidewall while the Yokohama has softer sidewall . I"m happy with the Yokohama.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,233 Posts
Rich in Almaden said:
Wireboltman said:
As I believe I stated quite clearly---everything sounds completely normal.

(Seems you forgot to include the first part of my sentence)
I didn't include a lot of what you stated - I had a hard time getting past all the "invaluable" information you provided.
Outside of changing tires, nobody added anything else at all.

Personally, I don't feel a change of tires is going to take care of what your complaints are.

Everything you're talking about is part of the fun of driving this vehicle-
 
  • Like
Reactions: DeeSummers6

·
Registered
Joined
·
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
LaXmAn said:
+1

(We've noticed our FX hops and shifts somewhat when hitting bumps in the road. We've also noticed it tracks hard with ruts in the road (especially while braking). )

I noticed this also when I have my stock RSAs, I changed my tires to Yokohama Parada Spec X . The RSAs has a stiffer sidewall while the Yokohama has softer sidewall . I"m happy with the Yokohama.
Thanks - It's good to hear that the vehicle is driving normally. I'll check into other tires when these are in need of replacement.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Wireboltman said:
Outside of changing tires, nobody added anything else at all.

Personally, I don't feel a change of tires is going to take care of what your complaints are.

Everything you're talking about is part of the fun of driving this vehicle-
Thanks - It is much more enjoyable that the previous SUV she had. Just not as enjoyable as my car :D

Thanks for the input,
Rich
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,233 Posts
Rich in Almaden said:
Wireboltman said:
Outside of changing tires, nobody added anything else at all.

Personally, I don't feel a change of tires is going to take care of what your complaints are.

Everything you're talking about is part of the fun of driving this vehicle-
Thanks - It is much more enjoyable that the previous SUV she had. Just not as enjoyable as my car :D

Thanks for the input,
Rich
I sincerely hope it works out for you. :thumbup:
These are great vehicles.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,824 Posts
Yep, all normal for the sport supsension. My Nitto tires slightly iproved the ride, but all that you mention is pretty much exepcted.
 
1 - 20 of 52 Posts
Top