Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here are the pictures of the subwoofer. Ignore the red wires attached to the speakers, those were attached by me for some experimentation.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,846 Posts
esemes said:
thanks very much!!

its almost laughable!!

i dont see many opportunities to upgrade this unit, but sure would be interested in doing so....

im thinking the speakers are not the true enemy here, but rather the mini-amp...(?)
Tiny bass radiators with foam surround & paper cone, the ipod sized amp... a sure recipe for crappy bass!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,423 Posts
ujmot said:
esemes said:
thanks very much!!

its almost laughable!!

i dont see many opportunities to upgrade this unit, but sure would be interested in doing so....

im thinking the speakers are not the true enemy here, but rather the mini-amp...(?)
Tiny bass radiators with foam surround & paper cone, the ipod sized amp... a sure recipe for crappy bass!
crappy, but still, better than without, agreed??

TJ- how can we improve this unit?? (CAN we)??

id love MORE sustaining bass available, but im thru with banddpass enclosures, etc...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,846 Posts
I never really looked at the sub on the spare.... but this weekend I'll take it out and make some measurements. Maybe there's a solution for a small 8" sealed enclosure there... I sort of doubt it but I'm gonna look into it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,423 Posts
ujmot said:
I never really looked at the sub on the spare.... but this weekend I'll take it out and make some measurements. Maybe there's a solution for a small 8" sealed enclosure there... I sort of doubt it but I'm gonna look into it.
what about BETTER woofies, with e bigger (beter) remote-located amp??

this way we can keep the oem enclosure, and the stealth look.....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,846 Posts
2 5.25" Woofers (?), no matter how good the replacement, wont push low frequencies efficiently. It's basically a mid bass booster, not a sub.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
286 Posts
what about that little cubby hole where the first aid kit currently resides. may be an amp or something can fit in there. can that cubbyhole be enlargened.
just pontificating. ignore if you want. :wink: no need to dignify this with a response :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
599 Posts
Strange coincidental story:

My brother drives an IS300 and I followed him to a dyno-day meet they had over in Worcester, MA. The guy who was helping out at the Dyno place actually works in BOSE (HQ is in Framingham, MA FYI).

Anyways I was talking to him and found out he was on the design team for our subwoofers. He had told me that he was given the goal to fit two subwoofers into that tiny enclosure. So given that goal I think the team did a pretty good job, not much space there fit anything!

One thing he did mention to me which I only remembered from seeing the pics above is that he did say that there was space for two amps instead of just one, and that it was possible two use the two amps. From the pics above it does look that it is possible.

Now this brings me to wonder if you can buy an extra amp and put it in there and have one sub powered by one amp and whether that would increase Bass output or not.

Anyways the guy mentioned that it was a possibility that a second amp could be included if the Bass was not powerful enough.

Pretty neat eh? Anyways who's gonna try? hehe.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
882 Posts
What's the size of those speakers?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,846 Posts
I believe they're 5 1/4" radiators.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,846 Posts
Ak1nza said:
Strange coincidental story:

My brother drives an IS300 and I followed him to a dyno-day meet they had over in Worcester, MA. The guy who was helping out at the Dyno place actually works in BOSE (HQ is in Framingham, MA FYI).

Anyways I was talking to him and found out he was on the design team for our subwoofers. He had told me that he was given the goal to fit two subwoofers into that tiny enclosure. So given that goal I think the team did a pretty good job, not much space there fit anything!

One thing he did mention to me which I only remembered from seeing the pics above is that he did say that there was space for two amps instead of just one, and that it was possible two use the two amps. From the pics above it does look that it is possible.

Now this brings me to wonder if you can buy an extra amp and put it in there and have one sub powered by one amp and whether that would increase Bass output or not.

Anyways the guy mentioned that it was a possibility that a second amp could be included if the Bass was not powerful enough.

Pretty neat eh? Anyways who's gonna try? hehe.
That's cool. Bose's forte is to design tiny enclosures that make a lot of noise.... err sound. I bet the design team was given a tiny budget to work with also. If you can fit 2 5.25" woofers (from the looks of it, they couldnt cost more than $10 a pop), you can certainly get a 8" in there.

All this talk about subs have peaked my interest again. I'm gonna look at it tonight and see what's possible. I'm not at all into stuffing my trunk with 20 15" subs but I'd like something that can push some deep bass more efficiently.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
599 Posts
Ujmot,


Check out:

http://www.phase-linear.de

Their Aliante series of subwoofers is very low profile so you would probably be able to fit a 10" or 12: above the spare tire while still being able to make a sealed enclosure of some sort for it.

They had a US site:

http://www.phase-linear.com

but it's not working for some reason.

Anyways the distributer of Phase Linear stuff in the states is here:

http://www.fryersales.com

If you actually do plan on undergoing anything you may wanna give them a call.

:D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,846 Posts
Didnt you mention they were 600 a pop? I think Kicker makes decent isobaric subs that require about <0.5 cu ft of sealed enclosure
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ujmot, eagerly awaiting your ideas.

The stock speaks are 1 ohms. I'm seriously contemplating two JL 6W0 woofers with a separate amp. The box is ported, I plan on sealing them. I'd love to use a 10" in it but then I wont be able to use the center screw pole to tie down the sub and the spare tire.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,846 Posts
Ok, looked at the sub last night. Interesting design. Ported sub w/ 2 small drivers in a composite enclosure. It's a neat little package... cute. Too bad their budget and space constraints squeezed them into designing something that leaves so much to be desired.

Here are the approximate measurements I got of the enclosure:
Top cover diameter - ~17"
Bottom diameter - ~14"
Height - ~7"

I guess this is the space we can work with if we are to keep the spare. So using the smaller diameter (bottom), we can probably fit a 9.5" X 9.5" X 7" box (lol!!). Which works out to about a 0.3 cu foot enclosure WITHOUT accounting for the woofer's volume. I'd say it's pretty much next to impossible to go with sealed boxes and larger drivers while keeping the spare.

Only solution to get a true subwoofer in there is to use a cylinder shaped enclosure with a diameter of 14" or a conical shaped cylinder using the top & bottom dimeters which would probably push the enclosure volume to atleast ~0.5-0.6cu ft. In any case, I think it's very difficult (and expensive) to get something like that fabricated. Using a sonotube may be an option (for a straight cylinder).

So I'm back to square one. :(
Options are with spare:
- Free air sub
- Replace woofers in existing Blose with better quality drivers
- Dual 6x9 woofers mounted on a custom round mdf plate on top of the spare maybe? - I need to think this through. :x

Get rid of the spare, then it's a whole new ball game. You can probaly squeeze 2 12's in there if ya wanted to.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
882 Posts
I'm just considering going with one JL 10"W7. The sealed encloser wouldn't be too huge and I could mount the amp mayber under the rear seat?

That way I could remove the sub whenever I needed or move it aside.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,846 Posts
That's an idea and would be extremely easy to do.

Having done a system in my BMW and virtually losing half my trunk space (and eventually taking out the sub box and selling it), I'd like to avoid putting anything into my usuable cargo space. A stealth install would be ideal for me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,846 Posts
mushutofu said:
I'm just considering going with one JL 10"W7. The sealed encloser wouldn't be too huge and I could mount the amp mayber under the rear seat?

That way I could remove the sub whenever I needed or move it aside.
The recommended box is 10 x 14 X 16.75 (0.875 cu ft). Not very big.
 
1 - 20 of 97 Posts
Top