Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a longer commute now.. listening to more music. Listened to El Becko off of Jeff Beck's "There and Back" album. I have a stock BOSE system - not an especially big fan of BOSE to begin with. Had a pair in my house for a long time in the 90's. But my 2006's sound system is the best i've ever had. That song is difficult for speaker to keep up with. Now this was a third or four gen recording - burned cd from an iPod file that came from the album itself.

Anyway - i've seen a bunch of comments over the past few years that the sound systems in the first gen FX's sucks. I disagree. Suits me just fine.

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
codeggs- Soooo is there a question in here somewhere? Is this the start of a discussion thread about how good/bad the Bose system is?

I have a bit of stereo experience and I know Bose is overpriced but I wouldn't say the products are bad. They use very inexpensive parts and spend their energy on electronically tuning the frequencies send to those cheap speakers. Individually the speakers are pretty much crap. But put enough of them in a small space with electronic crossovers built in and you have a decent mainstream product. I say decent because anybody who is an enthusiast with sound can do much better with much less money. I say mainstream because most people are not enthusiasts and don't know how to preoperly adjust any kind of audio system. It's not a question of Bose being bad. Just not good for the price. Since we all got our systems with our cars, there really isn't much to talk about unless you have found a worthwhile improvement to the stock Bose system. I for one replaced the Bose sub (after it died) with one that can handle more range as well as adding in a signal processor to restore all the lost frequency data in compressed music like MP3s. I rarely listen to compressed music for just that reason - it just sounds bad to me in the FX. CDs give me the best listening experience on my daily 65 mile commute since I bought the car in 2004.

·
Premium Member
10,642 Posts
Yes what is the purpose of this topic? Yet another Bose bashing thread? We have plenty of those. I happen to think it is not that bad for a stock system for a vehicle at this price point. And I have 20 years of car audio under my belt. But thats my opinion. Some like it, some dont.

So again did you have a question here?

·
Premium Member
468 Posts
I simply took it as positive comments about the Bose system. No question really necessary as it was just his opinion and in MY opinion, it was nice to hear a counter comment to the many negative ones... :)

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
boomerkid said:
I simply took it as positive comments about the Bose system. No question really necessary as it was just his opinion and in MY opinion, it was nice to hear a counter comment to the many negative ones... :)
Yep - want to start a positive thread.

·
Premium Member
10,642 Posts
Ok good- we should have more of those :D

·
Registered
589 Posts
Yeah, Bose system is pretty good for stock. I ended up changing out the speakers in the dash and doors though and sound quality is much better. However, I did lose some of the reverberation from the bass, which I actually liked. Not sure if my new speakers need to be fed more power or what, but I'm guessing a new amp and sub might soon be in order.

·
Premium Member
10,995 Posts
I too think the stock BOSE system is WAY better than most stock systems... ESPECIALLY any stock system from any HONDA... you wanna hear crap? Try listening to one of those for a while...

Is it great? Nope... adequate? For most intents and purposes... Can it be upgraded fairly cheaply? Yep... :) I have a lot more upgrades that I need to do so my $$$ isn't going towards the stereo yet... when it does, all I plan on doing is upgrading 2 dash speakers and the 4 door speakers... I was contemplating getting an aftermarket amp that can power the stock subwoofer AND another larger sub... haven't looked into it at all and not sure if I can do it with just 1 amp or if I will need 2 amps for what I want to do... I like having 2 small long-throw subs... I find they have better response than larger subs... so would like to combine that with a larger sub that will give just a little more OOMPH...

Actually, while we're all talking about it, does anyone know if there's 1 amp that has 2 outputs where I can adjust the output for each line? I would like less power going to the stock subs and more going to the aftermarket sub... would like to be able to install 2 dials in one of the blank switch banks so I can make adjustments without going to the back...

·
Premium Member
4,763 Posts
I think the Bose system in my '04 was pretty **** good. Perfect, no. Horrible, no. Compared to the Rockford Fosgate stock system in my Titan, it was light years better.

·
Premium Member
771 Posts
Compared to the stock systems on all other cars I've owned, the FX holds its own. If I was an audiophile I know for sure I would want to upgrade, but my needs are simple - loud, minimal distortion, loud, plenty of bass, and... oh yeah, loud. No complaints here.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My parents had a Bose Lifestyle System in their house and they loved it but i was never impressed. Home theater is a sweet spot for me and while their speakers are good for the size, maybe even very good, i'd still rather have a full sized set-up if room and budget allowed. So when i bought the FX, i was skepticle of the sound system in the car.

It took me a while to realize it but, the Bose system in the FX is better than alot of folks give it credit for.

I also wonder when you don't replace all the speakers and only upgrade some, how do you manage the timbre matching process?

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
DatMan said:
...Actually, while we're all talking about it, does anyone know if there's 1 amp that has 2 outputs where I can adjust the output for each line? I would like less power going to the stock subs and more going to the aftermarket sub... would like to be able to install 2 dials in one of the blank switch banks so I can make adjustments without going to the back...
Dat- couple things.

The stock sub has it's own amplifier built in to the enclosure. You can't send "more power" to it. These amplifiers go out after a few years and are about $100 to replace new. When mine went out around 90,000 miles, I just decided to get a new amplifier and sub. I'm using the factory signal and trigger wire from the original Bose system, so the OEM EQ controls still work. Bose considers the subwoofer part of the "rear channel" so moving fade to the rear increases bass. Not ideal, but it works in the FX. I added in an Epicenter bass processor that has it's own gain control wired to the front. That way if I need more or less than the stock EQ can give me, I have another knob just for bass fine tuning.

The Bose amplifier for all the other speakers is actually in the trunk and has it's proprietary crossover circuitry built in. All the speakers are powered from that amp and the output from the amp been frequency tuned to match the capabilities of the speakers used. If you simply replace only some speakers, the same Bose amp (now tuned for a different speaker range) powers the new gear. There's no way to adjust "channels" since there aren't any.

Can you still get what you want? Yes, definitely. But it will take some know how and you might have to use some techniques that are less than ideal - PAC adapters, adding in EQs to blend the new speakers in with the old... lots of challenges to customizing a Bose box system.

·
Premium Member
10,995 Posts
For the subs, I was just thinking of tapping into the stock feed... but instead of having 1 big sub in the back, I wanted to split the feed to the subs... 1 aftermarket amp powering the OEM sub and then another amp powering the larger sub (I heard the OEM subs do quite well with more power but still would want extra OOMPH from a larger sub as well)... then I would want to wire dials to control the output for each sub so I can tweak it... nothing too fancy... and I think it's possible to do it this way... I'd probably just need a line splitter and then something to amplify the signal before sending them to each amp... just wanted to know if I would be able to do this sorta thing with 1 amp or if I would need to buy 2 separate amps... I would prefer to just have 1 as I don't want to take up too much room in the back...

Hopefully I'm getting across what I want to do... and hopefully not looking like an idiot in the process... :lol:

·
Premium Member
1,544 Posts
the positives is its good until the speakers start going or if oyu want to listen to it past half way with any bass...... in the 09 too.

·
Registered
130 Posts
jumbosrule said:
Dat- couple things.

The stock sub has it's own amplifier built in to the enclosure. You can't send "more power" to it. These amplifiers go out after a few years and are about $100 to replace new. When mine went out around 90,000 miles, I just decided to get a new amplifier and sub. I'm using the factory signal and trigger wire from the original Bose system, so the OEM EQ controls still work. Bose considers the subwoofer part of the "rear channel" so moving fade to the rear increases bass. Not ideal, but it works in the FX. I added in an Epicenter bass processor that has it's own gain control wired to the front. That way if I need more or less than the stock EQ can give me, I have another knob just for bass fine tuning.

Is the amp for your '04 FX sub the same as an '03 sub amp? Mine went a couple of months ago and although I've got it temporarily working again, I'd like to find a new replacement, especially for $100, if possible. The dealer seemed to only be selling the entire enclosure for around $700 and I would definitely go aftermarket if that were the case, however I really need all of my cargo space in the back.

To be honest, the reason I'm trolling this forum right now is because my stock head unit "ate" all my cds today and I can't get them out, nor can I play them. I was always pleased with the stock Bose system in the FX and would like to get it working properly again. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I guess my questions are where can I get a replacement amp for the subwoofer enclosure, and is there any way I can get my cds out of the in-dash changer? If not, does anyone know where I can get a reasonably priced stock replacement head unit? I've already searched various salvage yards in the area and people don't seem to be crashing or trashing FXs in the Southeast lately. :wink: I really do not want to go aftermarket if I do not have to. I have a 2003 FX35 Sport with the Bose system, no nav/tech package and I'm in the Atlanta area.

·
Premium Member
10,642 Posts
ysweatme said:
Is the amp for your '04 FX sub the same as an '03 sub amp?
yes.

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
On infinitipartsusa a new sub is $540:

http://www.infinitipartsusa.com/partloc ... atalogid=0

Don't let going aftermarket scare you. It can be done in the same space for less money than buying a new factory sub. You can actually just remove the old Bose amp and wire the speakers directly to a new amplifier. Check out this DIY installation:

http://www.infinitiscene.com/forum/show ... stcount=20

You don't have to go as crazy as this guy did with installation but the general idea is simple. He also used much more amplifier than he needed - lower power is fine so that it matches the rest of the Bose system. You might have to adjust the amplifier gain just to get the output level in the same neighborhood as the rest of your speakers but you should only need to set it one time.

·
Registered
130 Posts
jumbosrule said:
On infinitipartsusa a new sub is $540:

http://www.infinitipartsusa.com/partloc ... atalogid=0

Don't let going aftermarket scare you. It can be done in the same space for less money than buying a new factory sub. You can actually just remove the old Bose amp and wire the speakers directly to a new amplifier. Check out this DIY installation:

http://www.infinitiscene.com/forum/show ... stcount=20

You don't have to go as crazy as this guy did with installation but the general idea is simple. He also used much more amplifier than he needed - lower power is fine so that it matches the rest of the Bose system. You might have to adjust the amplifier gain just to get the output level in the same neighborhood as the rest of your speakers but you should only need to set it one time.

Thank you. I will look into this.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Good day!, i need a bit of help...im hoping you guys could give me a tip about this.... I am a musician and I'm recording a home CD...I'm burning a CD from my recording unit into wave files that I later convert into MP3s... I have an infinity FX35 that i LOVE, but is not playing my MP3 home made CD.... any idea on what type of files my infinity sound system would play?, so I can change the File extension to make it work for the CD player?..... Thank you so much in advance :)... great to find this community by the way ! :)...Love my infinity!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts