Infiniti FX Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got back from "Mike's Muffler" in El Monte where I had my stock muffler replaced with a Borla ProXS muffler (transverse, Camaro style p/n 40477)... as quiet as stock when idle, very nice, pleasant rumble when accelerating normally... but when you get on it, boy does it wake up and GROWL!

Happy happy happy... $300 parts and labor.

Ok, I'm done modding now... :roll:

·
Registered
365 Posts
I've been thinking about changing the muffler also.. I want a more muscular sound...

Does this muffler hook up exactly the same as stock? Did you keep your exhaust tips?

·
Registered
443 Posts
picture please

·
Registered
4,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
liug said:
picture please
Will get pictures soon... unfortunately my digital camera was lost on my recent vacation in Mexico :x but a new one has been ordered and is scheduled for delivery on Friday! :D

azwcat22 -- the muffler I chose keeps the same one-in, two-out configuration as stock, I tried to make it as direct a replacement as possible. The exhaust shop said that they had to re-do the pipes from the muffler to the tips but re-used the stock tips. All-in-all it's approximately an axel-back swap-out, except for the tips.

·
Registered
4,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
contaygious said:
what sreet is that on? think it's right by my girl's crib.
Street of the shop in El Monte? Your girl is from the Los Angeles area? It's around the corner of Garvey and Durfee right off the 10 freeway.

Did she say YES????

·
Premium Member
1,036 Posts
yeah that's right by where her parents house is haha.

aw man, I could go for some king taco right about now!

have not asked her yet...coming up...stone gets here this weekend...gotta graduate next week and finish up finals first...not sure when/how to do it...i'll keep you posted ;)

·
Registered
51 Posts
Good luck with finals Tay, I got to finish up mine and then pack the FX with some of the stuff from my doorm room. Funny though, mom is comming up next weekend with the Excursion to do all the heavy lifting (tv, microwave, ect...) Summer is almost here!!!

·
Registered
4,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Here are some pictures of the Borla muffler I put in. Size-wise it is not as large as the stock one (which is HUGE BTW) so you can see in Img_008 picture where the muffler shop had to create a new out-pipe on the passenger side of the vehicle. The driver side (in and out pipes in Img_006) pretty much keep the stock configuration.

Again, I'm pleased with this mod. The exhaust note is more rumbly and deeper than stock but still sounds refined - exactly what I was hoping for. Between the Motordyne plenum spacer and this install in the past week it feels like someone kicks me in the rear every time I get on the gas!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,036 Posts
sickness! Could you do a soundclip? I could host for you...

I may order hte Borla ProXS muffler (transverse, Camaro style p/n 40477 after a while...if I hear it first ;)

Hey put those subs back in your pic man!

I'll check you out if I drive my FX down to LA...

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Man Shady, will you be at the National Meet cuz I want to hear it myself.
OT: Is that brake fluid leaking out from both side, I see oil stain on both side of your tires and rims. It doesn't look like car just being washed, also car does look lower.
One more thing, is there any reasson why the installer did not mount the muffler a bit to the right, it's doesn't sit right in the middle.... hah, I see it, you wanted to keep the left(driver) side pipe & tip stock and extend the right side because the Borla is shorter in width.

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
35's should stay with 2.5" pipe

Clean Shady! Borla is a nice sound

·
Registered
4,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
OUTRAGEOUS FX 45 said:
i see you kept your resonator and 2.5 pipes, but replaced the 2.5 to 3 inch (because you had to on your muffler) looks like great install.
Actually the muffler my guy found me is 2.5" all around (in and out). If I wanted it louder I might think about losing the resonator but for now am keeping it... at a very acceptable volume level but still sounds good.

·
Premium Member
404 Posts
Nice install, I bet it sounds nice!

·
Registered
4,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
2Fast4U said:
Man Shady, will you be at the National Meet cuz I want to hear it myself.
OT: Is that brake fluid leaking out from both side, I see oil stain on both side of your tires and rims. It doesn't look like car just being washed, also car does look lower.
One more thing, is there any reasson why the installer did not mount the muffler a bit to the right, it's doesn't sit right in the middle.... hah, I see it, you wanted to keep the left(driver) side pipe & tip stock and extend the right side because the Borla is shorter in width.
2Fast -- good eyes, I did just wash the car. I pulled it into the garage and then took the pic. Regarding the placement, for looks it would have been best in the center, but in terms of effort you'd then have to extend 3 pipes instead of just 1. Makes sense to me.

For anyone interested -- the most likely scenario is that I will be at the national meet but without the FX, flying into Dallas and I will show up in a my cool Ford Taurus courtesy of Hertz which will spank y'all on the auto-cross! Bring it on!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.