Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On the way home tonight I was trailing an X5 over the bridge back to Pa.It had an M series logo on the rear lid...finally got beside it and it was a 4-4 or4.6 on 19 or 20's low aspect.It was also lowered.

My new 45 aspect certainly held their own on looks and I was 6 inches lower...easy.My guess is the emblem is fake(nothing on the BMW site) and car was probably a year old

·
Registered
235 Posts
johnblaz2000 said:
Nothing to worry about. Besides, the BMW is no competition. :)
Actually, the 4.8i will smoke a 45...

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have not nor has anyone I know seen a 4.8 or the seven speed trans.With their enormous weight,it won't beat a lot of cars and a good 45 will be with it or ahead...I do not consider it competition,only the Cay turbo

It was the M badge that caught my eye...tires too!
He had no interest in playing...wonder why?

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Momemtum BMW here in Houston has their emblems resemble the M series logo, so to the untrained eye, it looks like Ms are everywhere.

Probably just a 4.6 lowered with the emblem as you stated.

Cant stand that crap. I see Pickups all the time here with Corvette logos on them WTF?

Who are you fooling? :roll:

·
Registered
80 Posts
i dont think bmw has a M for the x5 cuz to be classified as a M the car needs to be a stick shift and not auto. All M cars are stick..

·
Registered
63 Posts
I believe in 2002 they offered an automatic M3

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
shong43826 said:
04fx35 said:
i dont think bmw has a M for the x5 cuz to be classified as a M the car needs to be a stick shift and not auto. All M cars are stick..
I thought there are automatic m3...isn't there?
Kinda

SMG

·
Registered
63 Posts
SMG (sequential manual gearbox) is not an automatic, its like a racing gear box....

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
PrayForSnow said:
SMG (sequential manual gearbox) is not an automatic, its like a racing gear box....
Thus the word kinda,

·
Registered
235 Posts
johnblaz2000 said:
It wont smoke F/I.. But It Will inhale some smoke coming from the FX exhaust.
although fx45 no doubt is a fast suv, but the x5 4.8i cover 0-60 in about 6.0 sec flat...despite the heavier weight, it may not beat the fx off the line but surely it will catch up and smoke a 45 pretty quick...

however, i can personally confirm that the 45 will smoke both the ml55 and a cayenne S since i've done some real world comparison...

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You may not recall...we had a 45 do a 6.0? on a G-Tech here already.With all that weight ,a good launch and he will not catch you if the 4.8 even exist in the real world.I believe their real target was the Cay Turbo and they did not get close,so why bring it out...BMW does not do also ran very well!

·
Registered
662 Posts
davezaristo said:
johnblaz2000 said:
It wont smoke F/I.. But It Will inhale some smoke coming from the FX exhaust.
although fx45 no doubt is a fast suv, but the x5 4.8i cover 0-60 in about 6.0 sec flat...despite the heavier weight, it may not beat the fx off the line but surely it will catch up and smoke a 45 pretty quick...

however, i can personally confirm that the 45 will smoke both the ml55 and a cayenne S since i've done some real world comparison...
I agree with you. I saw a Car & Driver's article about 4.8is and 0-60 in 6 flat and 14.5 to qtr. On the other day, I saw a new 4.8is with temp plate and it was FAST. Liked its look with those fat tires.

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Some pre-production tests of the 4.8 in europe were mid 5's and 13.5 in the quarter...optimistic but possible.A bone stock 45 on this site does 15.0 in the quarter with a first ime drag racer...no mods.Given that we put out more than the 315 claimed(do a search),light mods will get you that mid 14 easy or better.Cars race,not magazines or dynos.Our 4200 weight plus close to 340 hp will cover that 4.8 especially if you do a little to get it to breath which some 45 owners are now realizing.You like fat wheels and tires try my 20x9.265/45x20.Looks kick and after a few more pot holes I will relax

·
Registered
848 Posts
brnjugfx45 said:
A bone stock 45 on this site does 15.0 in the quarter with a first ime drag racer...no mods
That would be me he's talkin' about 8) But, FYI, there were two other unmodded 45s at the track that day, and we were all clocking times that were nearly identical.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Road Test: BMW X5 4.6is vs. Mercedes-Benz ML55 AMG
Do you value sport or utility?

Photography by David Newhardt
Motor Trend, April 2002

Mercedes-AMG has had the high-dollar, uberSUV market to itself for quite a few years. But the $69,025 BMW X5 4.6is, a full-boogie sport sedan disguised as an SUV/SAV, is a shot clearly directed over Mercedes' bow. It places strong emphasis on sport, moderately less on utility. The X5 4.6is is the only BMW product in our broad test not to wear an official M badge; according to BMW spokesperson Rob Mitchell, a prerequisite for the logo is a high-revving engine and a manual transmission. Though the 4.6is technically has neither, make no mistake: The DNA is there.

this was in 02 article in motor trend.

·
Registered
549 Posts
I remember reading that Motortrend article when I owned a 2002 ML55 AMG. That comment is somewhat naive coming from an"Official?" BMW Marketing spokesperson???

Anyways, I've read many articles and reviews on the X5/AMG comparo. The reason the X5 was never considered to be an ///M vehicle is strictly because of performance. Period. Mercedes AMG's priority is less on performance more on the side of luxury so their AMG label and marketing direction was perfect with the ML55 AMG.

BMW's M Division felt that it was inappropriate to classify the X5 4.6is on the performance calibre/league of their M3s/M5s. It's especially true today. BMW felt that the X5 should have a competitive, higher-performance version but because of it's weight, SUV class, and functional purpose (for BMW), the BMW ////M division didn't want an X5 represented as a ///M model sportscar. BMW marketed the new X5 as an SAV (Sport Activity Vehicle) and wanted a specific model to compete with the ML55 AMG.

"High-revving" is a by-product of most of the M powerplants and an engineering design approach for BMW (just like "leisurely power/NOT high-strung" from V-8/V-12 monster power/tq is for AMG). "High-revving" or "leisurely-power" do not exclusively define an ///M vs non-///M or an AMG vs. non-AMG. The M/AMG divisions strive to create higher-performance differentiators from the common models through significantly greater performance, greater luxury, exclusivity, and styling enhancements to validate a higher price. Furthermore, BMW could easily have used the V-8 from the 394/400HP M5/Z8 in the X5. BMW had no interest there.

The descriptors of "high-revving" and an available "manual-trans" are more like a general commonality across BMW's full model line-up. The pre-requisite of having a "manual transmission" to be an M? Sounds naively generic and not too exclusive. The comparable 325is/328i/330i/525i/530i/535i can ALL be labeled as "high-revving" and can come with a "manual." Also, the Z-8 and Alpina Z-8 is/was the limited-edition flagship sportscar of BMW with an M-powered V-8. It was the quickest and most expensive M-powered vehicle but yet, it is not labeled an ///M model. "M" stands for "Motorsport." The only true motorsport ///M is the M3 GTRS in ALMS - Modified M3s. Where does BMW officially sponsor M5s to race? What a conflict within BMW, just like the current Bangled 5/7 series.

All in all, this "spokesperson" just doesn't sound too eloquent or knowledgeably accurate. I don't believe that BMW sent him as an official corporate PR rep, or a director-level BMW marketing guy. :shock:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts