Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry if this is in the wrong section. I am unable to post in 'Problems and Questions'

I have a blue drip of paint on all my rims. Seems like something from manufacturing since all four have the same blue drip.

I was hoping for some advice on removing them. I scratched one off, but it ever so slightly scratched the rim. :( I tried rubbing with Mineral Spirits, but that didn't work either.

Any suggestions on what it may be and the best method to remove?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
10,642 Posts
PhineasBogg said:
Sorry if this is in the wrong section. I am unable to post in 'Problems and Questions'
Thats because you have to post in one of its subforums, like Problems And Questions » Suspension, Brakes, Tires, and Rim Problems » 2nd Gen (2009-) where i'll move this to.

Try clay bar maybe?

·
Premium Member
468 Posts
I had those when the car was brand new and believe they must be some sort of wax like substance used when shipped. I just scraped mine of with fingernail and with one tough one used a plastic scraper. They just pop off or at least mine did. If you use a plastic edged scraper you should not damage rims.

·
Premium Member
2,732 Posts
Those blue dots were put there by the manufacturer. They represent the heaviest part of the rim I believe. New tires also come with a dot and the installer is suppose to align them when mounting and balancing.

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ohhh good to know. Thanks aiya!

They don't come off very easy. :? I suspect the car sat in the Florida sun for several weeks before I bought it, so they are really really dry and stuck pretty well.

Heat gun and plastic scrapper is next....

I'd try a clay bar but I don't have one currently. Will have to add that to the list of detailing supplies to get.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I don't remove these. They're color-coded indicators that can also be used to index robotic mounting machines during factory setup. A good computer-controlled balancing machine these days is as good as any factory setup, but the dots are still a useful guide to initial mounting. Matching the lightest tire sector with the heaviest wheel sector minimizes the amount of weight needed and the number of points at which it has to be placed. Oriented with the benefit of these marks, wheel-and-tire assemblies shold balance easily with only one pass.

Different manufacturers use different color codes. I think most tires have a yellow dot at the lightest spot. Some use a second dot (often red) at the highest point re: radial runout.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts