Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking about blk chroming the all the emblems on my silver FX...has anyone done it? If so, any pics?

What do you guys think of the idea and how much do you think it may cost? Anyone know any shop in the SF Bay Area that does it?

thanks.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,609 Posts
Do you mean coating the emblems with a black "chrome-looking" plastic/paint? I don't know much about true black chroming but I think it is a step in the chrome plating process, and that involves metals and acids (which would be very bad for all of our plastic emblems). Perhaps I'm missing something here?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
10,642 Posts
Its an electroplating process like gold emblems, but with a different coating. It's not bad for them. It works on the metallic coating of the emblems and the coloring agent bonds to the outer chrome coating. They attatch electrodes and then brush on the black chrome or gold plating.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
There is black pearl paint you can buy to do this. I'm going to be doing this soon and alrready did it on another vehicle before.

Tools & Supplies
Heat Gun (or blow dryer)
2"-3" Plastic Putty Knife
Waxed Dental Floss (alternate)
Masking Tape
Flat Cardboard Box
Adhesive Remover (3M or Goo Gone)
Old Toothbrush
Dawn Dishwashing Fluid
#0000 Steel Wool
Testors Black Pearl paint (#1813) hobby store
Testors Clear coat (#1814) hobby store
3M Double-sided Emblem tape

The Black Pearl and Clear Coat paint will run about $7.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
832 Posts
qship said:
There is black pearl paint you can buy to do this. I'm going to be doing this soon and alrready did it on another vehicle before.

Tools & Supplies
Heat Gun (or blow dryer)
2"-3" Plastic Putty Knife
Waxed Dental Floss (alternate)
Masking Tape
Flat Cardboard Box
Adhesive Remover (3M or Goo Gone)
Old Toothbrush
Dawn Dishwashing Fluid
#0000 Steel Wool
Testors Black Pearl paint (#1813) hobby store
Testors Clear coat (#1814) hobby store
3M Double-sided Emblem tape

The Black Pearl and Clear Coat paint will run about $7.
Do you know if this would work with our grill? 8)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,983 Posts
hey Q , when it's done - how about some pics. of it ...and that superiordash you spoke so much of last month. thanks, looking forward to them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
emblems

infx35 said:
Do you know if this would work with our grill? 8)
I think it would, but I would be a little scared to try it since the grille takes all the abuse from rocks and chips. I would only try it if you could throw some clear bra material on after you painted it.

Want to test it on your grille first? :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hmm...if you black out all the emblems in the rear and leave the front silver, would it look kind of odd? And pls, post some pics once you are done with the rear...

Anyhow, i was thinking about electroplating it so that it will last longer. However, it seems like everywhere does gold plating but not black plating...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
davezaristo said:
Anyhow, i was thinking about electroplating it so that it will last longer. However, it seems like everywhere does gold plating but not black plating...
There are places you can send them to have them black pearled. This would I think about $150. I've also haven't seen anything but gold plating. Time to try the yellow pages.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
qship said:
davezaristo said:
Anyhow, i was thinking about electroplating it so that it will last longer. However, it seems like everywhere does gold plating but not black plating...
There are places you can send them to have them black pearled. This would I think about $150. I've also haven't seen anything but gold plating. Time to try the yellow pages.
I also heard about the shipping in ones..however, it would be difficult and impossible to debadge the "infiniti" letter in the rear and eventhough if it was easy, reattaching them can make the badge slight out of place....maybe i am just too darn picky..ehhe
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
I think the rear one is just on with emblem tape. Before you would remove it, surround the borders of the emblem with masking tape to mark its original location. This will help you perfectly re-align the emblem back to original hatch position.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
882 Posts
I'm pretty sure if you removed the rear emblems there would also be two holes.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,609 Posts
mushutofu said:
I'm pretty sure if you removed the rear emblems there would also be two holes.
Not sure how the "INFINITI" emblem on the rear hatch is secured, but the FX35 and FX45 emblems are just taped on -- so no holes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19 Posts
i know this is an old post but has anyone done this yet? i know my dealer sells the emblems already made like this but cost an insane amount. also seen it at a website for about $400 something. i would like to see pics if this has already been done at home.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
662 Posts
Black chrome sounds nice. Since '05 is coming with dark chromed front grill, I will wait to see how it would look like.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
882 Posts
ooooooooooh...if the 05 grill is dark chrome then i'm gonna swithc mine out!

I saw a black Benzo yesterday with a blacked out front grill and that **** looked straight gangsta
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
44 Posts
I love the look of the black chrome, and would welcome it on my Brilliant Silver FX. I had the Lexus RX300 Silversport edition that had the black chrome emblems, and I always loved it. Fantastic match with a silver vehicle, too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
882 Posts
you can buy black chrome emblems already....pm Davezaristo for the website.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
800 Posts
So did anyone end up doing this? Any pics? how much?

I'm thinking of finding a local shop and taking the car in to get it all black chromed (plated). Maybe even the grill.... not sure about this one though...
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Top