Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone had this done? I'm about to send in a sample of my Mobil1 I just changed out after 5k miles to see how it's doing. Just wondering if I should pay the extra $10 for the TBN?

TBN (Total Base Number) is used to measure the amount of active additive left in the oil, and may be useful if you are running extended oil use intervals.

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anyone?

·
Registered
882 Posts
the CL/TL guys use this service. They liked it and you get a detailed printout of whats in your oil. Never did one myself and don't really care since I change my oil every 5K miles.
Maybe as my motor gets older it'll be a good idea.

·
Premium Member
404 Posts
Quite a few guys on the Corvetteforum had it done and are pleased with the data provided, I'd fork over the extra $10.00 for the TBN.

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. I think I'll go ahead and get the TBN this time. I don't really expect any problems; I change my Mobil1 every 5K miles, but I only put about 8-10K on the car per year, so there could be 6 months between changes and want to make sure eveything is ok for that lenght of time or even longer.

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, looks like I have to contact them for clarification. The form I fill out with the sample simply states that the TBN is an extra $10 and gives no further instructions, but in reading about the TBN on their site (specifically the scenarios), it sounds like I have to send in a virgin sample of my oil as well for this test. I only have the one sample kit from them and it took a good three weeks for me to get it, so I may skip the TBN if they require an additional sample of virgin oil. I don't really plan on extending my intervals past 5k miles, anyway, so as long as wear levels and water content (I guess that's where the time factor comes into play; the oil picks up water over time. That's why they typically say to change it every 3 months or 3k miles) are normal in my current sample, I should be good to go.

·
Registered
8 Posts
It can't hurt

Quite a number of M3 owners had this done when we were going through a lot of engine failures. Owners wanted to see if there were any abnormalities in their oil. People found it useful and good for peace of mind (assuming nothing out of the ordinary was found).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts