Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone experienced fading/dulling and hard water spots? I tried vinegar, buffing, claybar, Zaino and while it goes away for a while the trim returns to its dull state. If replace by warranty, my concern is proper instalation to avoid potential wind noise.

PS. FX is not garaged.

Any help appreciated. Thanks...

·
Premium Member
5,581 Posts
It not just you. The trim is actually navy not black.

Here is what mine look like under flouresent lights. It drives me nuts.

But in natural light you would never notice.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
mine is noticeable in natural light. i believe the coating on the trim pieces is tape, rather than clearcoat. i can see where the edges are starting to lift. you think maybe we're getting condensation in between the surfaces?

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Yup, mine is that way as well. I can only notice it when the sun hits it at a certain angle in late afternoon, but ut drives me nuts as well. I think the trim IS actually black, but the coating diffracts the light differently or something (plus the fact that it is plastic next to the metal of the rest of the car). I noticed on mine that there is quite a lot of swirls in the finish of the trim, which scatters the light as well. I did a lot of rubbing on them with some light compound and it helped a bit, but I've basically learned to live with it.

Unless this became a recognized issue and they came up with a real fix for it (highly doubtful), I wouldn't bother getting the trim replaced; it'd just look the same.

·
Premium Member
1,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
WeGaFX said:
When I got my 03FX there were several pieces of trim comming loose at the edges. My dealer replaced them and I have not had any problems since. :D
did they replace the clear covering or the trim pieces?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Yeah... that bluish tone is a bit distracting... the mirror supports and the trim around the mirror are also this bluish color and when the light hits it right it looks pretty bad.

This is on a new '04 so it wasn't changed...

·
Registered
3,948 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well, that answers my question. add this to my list of warranty work. others include:

1. replace inner door panels to fix dirty speaker grilles (mine were quite scuffed at date of purchase)

2. strand of hair embedded in paint on the roof. (CAN YOU BELIEVE IT :shock: :evil: !!!!)

Thanks for the TSB :D Never can have too much ammo with the dealer....

·
Premium Member
2,609 Posts
particlefx said:
Interesting. I have some flouresent lights in my garage and I've either never noticed it -or- they changed the trim material for the '04 model year. I'll take a closer look this evening.
Well I checked and couldn't get the coloration/refraction effect to occur. Not saying I don't have it, I just could not reproduce it. My build date was Aug '03. Then again, my wife's old kermit-green Honda would often appear blue under parking lot lights at night - freaky.

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Mine looks fine under flouresents; it's only when the sun is getting low in the sky (the car is usually in the garage at this time and the sun is shining in the open door) that it stands out on mine. I looked mine over last night for the conditions the TSB above spoke of, but I don't have any of those symptoms. This is a separate issue.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Same here, went out this morning and checked it out - it looks off black - navy in direct sunlight looking at it from an angle. Wack. ('04 btw)

·
Premium Member
2,609 Posts
The sun is out now so I took a close look and I'll be darned, it is blue! :shock:

It's very subtle though (at least in direct sunlight anyway).

<sarcasm>

Thanks to everone for pointing it out. It's going to bother me now. :(

</sarcasm>

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Another strange thing about the trim: there was a HUGE piece of bird crap on my B-Pillar the other week and when I removed it, it seemed like it created this wrinkle on the finish (like melting plastic)! The weird thing was when I looked for it this morning, it wasnt there anymore... :?

·
Premium Member
5,581 Posts
In this pic you can see the difference

Attachments

1 - 20 of 64 Posts