Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
828 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

Recently I purchased a new GT avalanche bike that i need to bring back in forth to and from college. I have done some research on different methods and racks uesrs have used and was wondering which would be better for a long distance trip. The trip to my college is about 7 hours long, mostly highway speeds. The obvious answer is that a bike rack mounted to a hitch would be safer than one mounted to the roof of my car, however I do not have a hitch installed and personally think the hitch does not look so pleasant :? I was thinking about buying a THULE roof rack system for my bike and was wondering if anyone had any personal experiences/problems/concerns with driving long distances and having their bike on top of their car

thank you all, and have a wonderful wknd
P

·
Premium Member
2,231 Posts
as long as it's mounted solidly up there, you can drive it forever, or as far as you need to go. the big problems with up there are :

#1, it can be a real pain to actually put the bike on & off the rack, especially heavier bike/non lowered fx
#2, MANY guys have accidents, forgetting it's up there while going through a low overpass or pulling into a garage, WAY more common than many would think
#3, bugs & slight increase in wind drag

if you can deal with those 3 things then up there is the best place...

also there are 2 types, either leave the front wheel on or take it off & mount the fork to the rack... fork mounts are better for real traveling & if you have a quick release on the seat post & pop the seat post out then that'll give you the lowest profile... quick local on& off's are easier with the wheel mounted though... I'd suggest the fork mount for traveling...

·
Premium Member
828 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hey turbo,

thanks for the prompt response!

Numbers 1 and 3 i think i can deal. #2... thanks for pointing it out so now i know to watch out for it. I dont want to destroy my bike + racks on the way to college =\

I was looking at the thule racks and saw the two types you were talking about. The only problem is that i am limited in my choices since i have front disc brakes. A lot of racks dont support disc brakes but i was thinking about just taking off the front braking system and reassembling if it is necessary.

I have my eyes on this right now:
http://www.thuleracks.com/product.asp?d ... 22&sku=518

·
Premium Member
2,231 Posts
why would disc brakes make a diffference? these lock at the skewer, the caliper is higher on the fork & the rotor of course comes off with the wheel... wouldn't expect that to be much of a factor

low overpasses are more the parking type things.. on the roads you should be fine, there aren't really any super low overpasses on the roads themselves... it's parking structures & garages that usually do them in :)

·
Premium Member
10,642 Posts
You don't like the OEM hitch? You can barely see the thing! Much better than putting some racks on the top which you will see. I for one would never want to lift a bike with all its ready to scratch parts up the side of my FX :shock:

·
Premium Member
527 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
P,

I have a thule rack, with 2 peleton trays and a fairing. works great and if you are worried about bugs and stuff on long trips, I recommend getting the sci-con defender. It's like a condom for the front and does great. Here's a link.
http://www.teamcyclist.com/store/Sci-Co ... _P2816.cfm

Here's some pics of my set up, works great and without the bikes on, get normal gas mileage.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Thule 5401 w/ OEM hitch. The best combination. It fits ALL bikes. OEM hitch is HARDLY noticeable, I think it ADDS to the sportiness/utility look of the car, if anything.

·
Premium Member
2,231 Posts
wow, beautiful forma, steel mercier not to shabby either, nice rides :)

·
Premium Member
828 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
socalfx35 said:
Thule 5401 w/ OEM hitch. The best combination. It fits ALL bikes. OEM hitch is HARDLY noticeable, I think it ADDS to the sportiness/utility look of the car, if anything.
the hitch is really appealing also b/c i can use it to tow a rack or jet skis also, but i can't convince myself that it looks nice stuffed inbetween the two mufflers... I think the trailer for jetskis as well as cargo trailer use a bigger sized "mouth" than the one the fx35 comes in also, but i can always just get an adapter....

thanks for the responses guys! they have been very helpful as usual :p

·
Premium Member
1,707 Posts
Unless you're 7 feet tall and can easily reach the bikes on a roof rack, especially on an Avalanche, get a hitch bike rack.

·
Premium Member
2,231 Posts
gt avalanche is the bike, he's talking on the fx :)

·
Registered
97 Posts
turbocad6 said:
gt avalanche is the bike, he's talking on the fx :)
I'm 5'8" and I have no problems getting the bikes up there. It's all about balancing the bike and doing it a few times to get to know the trays on the rack.

·
Registered
527 Posts
pmanliu said:
Hey all,

Recently I purchased a new GT avalanche bike that i need to bring back in forth to and from college. I have done some research on different methods and racks uesrs have used and was wondering which would be better for a long distance trip. The trip to my college is about 7 hours long, mostly highway speeds. The obvious answer is that a bike rack mounted to a hitch would be safer than one mounted to the roof of my car, however I do not have a hitch installed and personally think the hitch does not look so pleasant :? I was thinking about buying a THULE roof rack system for my bike and was wondering if anyone had any personal experiences/problems/concerns with driving long distances and having their bike on top of their car

thank you all, and have a wonderful wknd
P
I have the OEM hitch and it doesn't look bad @ all. And personally you can't go wrong with either mount (roof or hitch.) IMO, I think the hitch made by Softride like I have pictured from my old FX is perfect.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,763 Posts
Awesome bump!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts