Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats the best way to sell a vehicle...I mean best as getting the most/fair value with minimum hassle.

Has anyone tried carmax?

Planning on selling the FX in upcoming month.

I'll post a list of mods for sale.

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
mushutofu said:
Planning on selling the FX in upcoming month.
Very sorry to hear this, any particular reason why? :( You were really getting into some more neat mods too.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
mushutofu said:
Has anyone tried carmax?
First the positive story: I sold a '99 Ford Expy to Carmax in Jan '01 when we bought our first MDX. Acura did not give me a good trade-in and suggested Carmax. I had several dealerships appraise it for possible trade-in or outright sale to them (several Ford dealerships, including the one I bought it from). Carmax gave me a very fair price, so we sold it to them. It was a very painless experience, and I felt confident that title transfer would never be an issue.

Now the negative story: Because of the positive experience above, I took my '02 TL-S to Carmax this past summer with high hopes. They gave me an insultingly low figure. They were $2000 lower than the lowest trade-in offer I got.

Bottom line; I recommend trying Carmax. The only thing you have to lose is some time. They'll do a thorough analysis of your car that will take 45-60 minutes. If they want it, they'll give you an offer on the spot that will be good for 7 days/300 miles.

·
Registered
662 Posts
... and you can use that quote againt the dealers.

I've used CarMax twice. Quote wasn't the best but I liked their service and guranteed quote. I recommand CarMax.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
mushutofu said:
Whats the best way to sell a vehicle...I mean best as getting the most/fair value with minimum hassle.
IMO, "best money without hassle" would be CarMax. Also, try to compare it as Trade-in with a new purchase to see differences.
* Sad to see someone goes...

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the reply guys...the only Carmax close to me is in LA arggg!!!

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Mush, I think you are just like me, don't like to deal and hassle but the heck of it, if the car is in excellent cond. and time is not cosumed then how about have it posted on local Newspapers ($75). Never know, we might have some one appreciates it more than CarMax, right?

·
Registered
779 Posts
When buying an FX, dealer offered me $11K for my old 3-series. I decided to go to Carmax who offered me $12,400. I know I could have gotten more if I tried to sell the car on the street but timing did not allow me to do so. Anyways, I have nothing bad to say about Carmax.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i'm gonna try carmax as my last resort...gonna give Craigslist and autotrader a go.

·
Registered
779 Posts
i'm gonna try carmax as my last resort...gonna give Craigslist and autotrader a go.
I would try Carmax first anyways. They will give you a quote that is good for 7 days or 300 miles. Then if no one else gives you more $$$ you simply sell to Carmax. Additionally, you will have a clue as to how much you can get for the car before you "give Craigslist and autotrader a go". :D

·
Registered
848 Posts
krzys4 said:
I would try Carmax first anyways. They will give you a quote that is good for 7 days or 300 miles. Then if no one else gives you more $$$ you simply sell to Carmax. Additionally, you will have a clue as to how much you can get for the car before you "give Craigslist and autotrader a go". :D
I would go to Carmax last (but before trading to a dealer). My single experience there was that they lowballed me by at least $2k on a $10k car. Easily sold privately for much more than what they offered.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts