Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to the dealer(Infiniti of Lisle) for oil change and asked for the base timing increase of 2 degree. First of all, service guy didn't know what it was and after talking to his service manager, he quoted me $179 and would talke an hour? :evil:

I thought some of you had this done for free or pretty modest fee.

·
Premium Member
1,121 Posts
topguy said:
I went to the dealer(Infiniti of Lisle) for oil change and asked for the base timing increase of 2 degree. First of all, service guy didn't know what it was and after talking to his service manager, he quoted me $179 and would talke an hour? :evil:

I thought some of you had this done for free or pretty modest fee.
BS, it takes like 5 minutes to do via the Consult II device that all service techs have access too... :x

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
5 minutes and no charge

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Less than 5 minutes and some dealers will want to charge you $50 or so for it, but that's total BS.

·
Premium Member
1,121 Posts
MustGoFastR said:
Less than 5 minutes and some dealers will want to charge you $50 or so for it, but that's total BS.
You're right, 5 minutes if the tech is totally incompetent. :p And that includes hooking it up.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I go to this dealer that is supposed to be the largest Infiniti dealer in Midwest only because it's the only one closed to my house. The other one, Infiniti of Orland Park is about 1.5 hour away.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Infiniti of Lisle has no clue about bumping the timing. I asked them too over the summer. It's still up in the air whether the bump helps 100% of the time.

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
It is alledgely done for gas mileage/response and the +/-2 is within the parameters of the tool...did they read the instructions?

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
mhgsx said:
Infiniti of Lisle has no clue about bumping the timing. I asked them too over the summer. It's still up in the air whether the bump helps 100% of the time.
mhgsx, so, did you get this done by a dealer in Chicago area? I heard a rumor that there is gonna be a new Infiniti dealer in Naperville.

·
Registered
471 Posts
No, I never did.

Think you might be interested in trying out the drag strip sometime??

·
Registered
10 Posts
what does this change accomplish?

·
Premium Member
2,609 Posts
420FX420 said:
what does this change accomplish?
What they are talking about is changing the time when the spark ignites in the cylinder. The time can be advanced or retarded. By retarding the spark timing you can create lower cylider pressures and temperatures which reduce pollutants and may eliminate knocking. Advancing the timing typically increases the pressures/temperatures and may give you better fuel economy, idle and often performance.

Your dealer can easily change the timing for you, provided it falls within a minimal range (degrees). I believe "degrees" refers to the fact that there are 360 degrees in one rotation of the crankshaft. So, assuming the spark fired exactly at 360 degrees, retarding it 2 degrees would make the spark fire at 358 degrees.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts