Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 148 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read most or all the threads on bad wheel bearings. (Disappointing for this to happen, in my case, at only 35,000 miles.) My question: Do these rough-running bearings ever seize or otherwise fail catastrophically, for example while driving the (in my case) 100+ miles to the nearest dealer for warranty service?

·
Premium Member
1,778 Posts
Re: bad wheel bearing

I just got mine replaced at 32k miles. It shouldn't be a big problem because the dealership let me drive home on it.

·
Premium Member
3,233 Posts

I suppose there's some amount of common sense involved.
I've had two front bearings fail and each time were making a fair amount of noise. (Many racing miles on mine, however)
I opted to drive it down.

I drove 300 miles to my dealer with no major failure either time.

·
Registered
266 Posts

I think it would take a while for this to seize. If it was the big of a problem it would be a fixed recall. I think it would just get real loose before it could ever sieze, not like the old style bearings.

Mines going in monday.

·
Premium Member
1,778 Posts

nyc 5jabi fx said:
itss coverd under warranty???
Yes. Mine actually was found during a state inspection.

·
Premium Member
10,642 Posts

nyc 5jabi fx said:
itss coverd under warranty???
Of course, if you are within your warranty period.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

So, here's the upshot of my wheel-bearing adventure. My FX-35 mostly sat around the last few weeks until I could find a day to drive it 135 miles to the nearest dealer. (I wanted to combine state inspection and general service as well, since the trip eats up a day.) It wasn't fun driving 135 miles with a bad wheel bearing; I suggest turning up the stereo. It didn't seize up on me, though. The dealer replaced the wheel bearing under warranty, up front, with no argument and very quickly, before they even got around to telling me how much the non-warranty service would cost. Over the phone they had given me a little crap about maybe it was my tires or brakes, but when they test-drove it there was no further question about what the problem was. I think Infiniti has a big problem with these wheel bearings that they're not talking about. I've been driving for 42 years and never had to replace a wheel bearing on any vehicle before. Anyhow, if you start to get the vibration and whop-whop noise, you'll know what to do!

·
Registered
20 Posts

I drove mine for probably 30,000 miles before I had them replaced. I think they were bad when I bought the car(used)
and I just thought that was the normal road noise. It got real bad over the winter and I brought it to the dealer with
75,169 miles on it and they replaced them under warranty. They are covered under the 75,000 warranty. It's like
driving a new car. Absolutely dead quiet and no vibration. But I too wonder what makes these bearings go bad.
Never had that problem in any car I've owned in 30 years.

·
Premium Member
10,642 Posts

I wouldnt call it an epidemic. Maybe the design cant handle the stress of a 4300lb vehicle being flung around.

**** ive had other cars that i had to replace them on.

At least its not super expensive or difficult to do.

·
Registered
1 Posts

A word about wheel bearings.
There is a design B10 life on all bearings which means after so many millions of revolutions, 10 percent of the bearing population will fail.
Very, very few bearings fail in this way which is a classic way for a bearing to fail in a test lab.
The most likely way for a bearing to fail is due to a breakdown in lubrication or lub starvation.
The number two way for the bearing to fail is due to corrosion.
The number three way for a bearing to fail is due to a hard impact load like hitting a curb at significant speed and bending the rim.
It is assumed (and a good assumption from Infinity) that the bearing preload is adjusted to design requirements at the factory.
Reasonable tire vibration or tire misalignment can be easily tolerated by the bearing except note that the higher the bearing load, there is a reduction in the bearing overall life.
Heat generated from hard use of the brakes is also tolerated by the bearings since most of the heat is disapated at the brake disc. The load on the bearings from the brakes is very small and insignificant due to the size of the brake load and the time the brakes are applied in bearing revolutions.
The bottom line is the third failure listed is the only one a user of the auto can control or take note of.
So Infinity is prepared to fix any bearing that fails early knowing that the replacement bearing will go the full useful life and the first failure was unusual.

·
Premium Member
4,763 Posts

FX34Dog said:
They are covered under the 75,000 warranty.
This is the first I've heard of this. Did you hear this directly from the service department, or did you read it somewhere?

·
Registered
21 Posts

FX34Dog said:
I drove mine for probably 30,000 miles before I had them replaced. I think they were bad when I bought the car(used)
and I just thought that was the normal road noise. It got real bad over the winter and I brought it to the dealer with
75,169 miles on it and they replaced them under warranty. They are covered under the 75,000 warranty. It's like
driving a new car. Absolutely dead quiet and no vibration. But I too wonder what makes these bearings go bad.
Never had that problem in any car I've owned in 30 years.

You have a warranty to 75,000 K for your wheel bearings?

·
Premium Member
527 Posts

One front was replaced at ~73K mi. by my dealer at no cost. It had gradually become noisier both in straight-line driving and later on with subtle thumping in turns. It was clear to them what it was when I described the complaint and presented the vehicle. Fortunately, they maintain spares on these items. In the case of my FX, the degradation was long and slow and its outcomes just get integrated into your perception of the daily noise profile of the car. In general, except for the subtle thumping sound, it was a relatively high amplitude but low frequency noise. You don't realize just how much noise it emits until you replace the wheel bearing assembly and notice immediately after the replacement that it was masking other sounds and that you can hear the exhaust note again!

·
Premium Member
10,642 Posts

Black Mumba said:
You have a warranty to 75,000 K for your wheel bearings?
Powertrain warranty on the FX is 70k. Some dealers will go over that in good faith.

·
Registered
20 Posts

Sorry, I meant 70,000 mile powertrain warranty. My dealership has been great in several "good faith" repairs out
of warranty technically.

·
Registered
12 Posts

Hi all
The left wheel bearing in front of my fx45 is going to be changed by my dealer under waranty.
I want him to change the right one too, but he says its not common to replace both bearings!!!
Is that right? Or is it OK just to change the "bad" one.

Thanks

BR Peter

·
Premium Member
3,633 Posts

peh said:
Hi all
The left wheel bearing in front of my fx45 is going to be changed by my dealer under waranty.
I want him to change the right one too, but he says its not common to replace both bearings!!!
Is that right? Or is it OK just to change the "bad" one.
It's probably "OK" to change just the one but I would always want to change the other one as well for peace of mind. Since they're doing it under warranty, I highly doubt they'll spring for the extra one as well though. Maybe offer to split the difference with them on cost for the other side. At the very least, I'd have them inspect it and put it in writing that the bearing is ok at this time

1 - 20 of 148 Posts