Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I filled up this morning at a new Citgo station on 249 south of BW8 (for you Houston guys) with Super (as always). I put in about 21 gallons, drove off and everything seemed to be fine. My commute from this station is about 8 miles to work. I got in the car to go to lunch and started it up and the idle was rough and sounded like it was missing out. There was a terrible smoke out of the tailpipes and then the idle adjusted to what seemed normal. After revving the motor a few more times the smoke was still there so I shut her off. Started it up again and idles better but has no acceleration -- black soot in tailpipes is very thick. My mileage on the trip comp. is around 15 - normal is 18 for me. So, the motor is running very rich, missing out at low idle and has no acceleration.

Can this be from a bad tank of gas? Could there be water in the fuel? Is my car f*cked due to my mods making it run rich?

I plan on taking it in to North Houston Infiniti in the morning to get them to diagnose, drain gas tank, and clean the injectors. Is this the right thing to do?

·
Registered
498 Posts
Sounds like a very bad tank of gas. Hope you still have your receipt. You sure you didn't put diesel in it? :D

Might want to take a look at your spark plugs.

If you did the mods recently, you can always unplug the negative terminal on the battery which will do a soft reset of your ECU. Might help.

LOL 19 mpg, you must have the RWD and do a fair bit of highway driving. I always seem to be a little under 15 mpg with AWD, granted this is around town.

Bummer though, never a good thing when your car is acting funky.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It doesn't knock per se, but miss and stumble bery badly until the ECU revs the idle up to 1500. You can smell the exhaust running very rich. The soot on the tailpipe is pretty amazing too - lots of raw fuel.

·
Registered
882 Posts
check to see if there is a bad seal between the plenum and the motor.

When I installed my z-tube for some reason I decided to start the car without the MAF attatched to the z-tube and fire shot out of my exhaust and my car idled horribly. I know that this isn't the same as your issue but an improper seal or faulty air reading might be the cause of this.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Will check the seals/MAF/air delivery thoroughly as well as injectors, fuel filter, and fuel.

Yes, I am thinking of trading and getting out from this thing while I can. I have my eye on a real nice used Land Cruiser.

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
HFXA is gonna have an L.C. :?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts