Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone done this mod yet? Seems very strange they don't allow this even when parked. All Nissan cars in Japan have this function. Last year I had a Elgrand V6 people carrier and it had a rear flip down screen. The TV signal when parked (hand brake up) would also be passed to the front screen...

And what about TV tuners? Anyone done this yet?

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
nav-tv

im still waiting this mod out, as i havent found an installer here that has done similar work...

seems the oem dvd system doesnt have enough jiuce to power the front screen (also), so an aux. tuner/receiver is addded....

ask MustGoFasteR, as he's been there, done that.......

·
Premium Member
10,642 Posts
If the only restriction was to be parked, it'd be real easy to bypass. I guess Infiniti doesn't want the liability. The Nav-Tv from AV Electronics or other similar device is necessary to convert the video signal to RGB, which is what the stock nav screen is. If you ever come to NY Esemes, look me up. I have put in a few in FX's and other cars.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
johnmax said:
If the only restriction was to be parked, it'd be real easy to bypass. I guess Infiniti doesn't want the liability. The Nav-Tv from AV Electronics or other similar device is necessary to convert the video signal to RGB, which is what the stock nav screen is. If you ever come to NY Esemes, look me up. I have put in a few in FX's and other cars.
if dreamwerks makes a s/c kit for the VK, i just might travel up there.....

thank you for the offer indeed!

eS

·
Registered
5 Posts
Does anybody know where to get the Nav-Tv device made by AV Electronics. I have looked around, but can't find information on it.

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Get it here: http://www.avelectronic.com

The unit works great; I have it in my FX and am helping DSMercado install his this coming Saturday. The Nav-TV contains a signal booster that amplifies the weak signal coming out of the DVD player so that you can run multiple (up to three, including the nav screen and rear screen) screens. Te vid. wire from the player is not simply tapped, it is cut and run through the Nav-TV, amplified, then run back out to the Nav screen and rear screen via it's RGB and RCA outputs respectively. The only downside to this is that you must turn the Nav-TV unit on in order to view a DVD in the rear even if you are not using the front, since the signal now runs through the box as opposed to directly to the rear screen. The addition of a three way switch rectifies this and also allows a DVD to be played in the rear while simultaneously watching TV up front. The unit comes with a parking brake safety wire that, when connected to the brake, only allows playback while the brake is engaged, but all you do is run this wire to ground and it is bypassed. Install is pretty straight foreward; just takes time.

Feel free to ask any questions.

Oh, also AV Electronics now has two diff. units: One has the TV tuner (Nav-TV), the other does not, but has a few different features.

I chose not to connect and run the TV antennas b/c during experimentation, I couldn't get reception while moving. This weekend, we'll be installing the optional amplified antenna (you can connect two of them) and checking out how it does. If this works, I'll likely go ahead and hook it up on mine.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I do the conversion in my shop all the time all hardware+dvd player+soundthru speaker+installation=$700

·
Registered
4,053 Posts
Hey domofnavwithtv, we heard you the first 3-4 times you told us about your product.

All vendors are welcome, please take it easy on the advertising. Thanks and welcome to our forum.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts