Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I expect that this topic has been covered to death already, but I'm still not clear on this issue. I have the tech package, no rear DVD, and would like to add the aux. audio input. Is the mod the same as the one "without the tech package"? Same harness, etc? Also, when this mod is complete, what shows up on the display under the nav map when the "Rear DVD" (aux) source is selected? Sorry for the stupid new guy questions... thanks in advance for any info anyone can provide.

Regards,

Ron

'04 FX35 AWD... black/graphite, tech, touring, sport packages, 20" chrome (no DVD, no SAT...yet)
Absolutely the best vehicle I have ever owned!

·
Registered
662 Posts
RSSFX said:
I expect that this topic has been covered to death already, but I'm still not clear on this issue. I have the tech package, no rear DVD, and would like to add the aux. audio input. Is the mod the same as the one "without the tech package"? Same harness, etc? Also, when this mod is complete, what shows up on the display under the nav map when the "Rear DVD" (aux) source is selected? Sorry for the stupid new guy questions... thanks in advance for any info anyone can provide.

Regards,

Ron

'04 FX35 AWD... black/graphite, tech, touring, sport packages, 20" chrome (no DVD, no SAT...yet)
Absolutely the best vehicle I have ever owned!
RSSFX, I also would like to know about it and left a similar question at FA. Any input will be appreciated.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Yes, the mod is the same... just did it on my 45 including adding 2 phono jacks to the left of the power jack in the back of the console.

Note that I also added the pre-amp as recommended so that volume could be adjusted to match CD volume when switching. Note that when you hit the 'Rear AV' the display shows 'DVD' indicating that you have selected input from the jack normally used for the DVD player.

Gary...

Attachments

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Gary! That's exactly what I needed to know. Now it's time to get out the tool kit and soldering iron and start searching for that wiring harness connector.

Regards,

Ron

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the great photos too... looks like you did a first class installation. BTW, what brand of preamp did you use? Thanks again.

Ron

·
Registered
60 Posts
I used the PAC TURBO1 (recommended by others) http://www.audiooutfitter.com/store/items_html/TURBO1.html.

I attached the DVD connector with some double sided tape to keep it from moving around since the connectors are just pushed in. AK1NZA's recommendation to use a 9 pin D connector with crimp connectors from Radio Shack was right on. Soldered to the crimp connectors and then cut them from the strip and they worked just fine.

I assume you have the pin outs for the connector, but just to be sure, they are as follows:

1 - L+
2 - L-
3 - R+
4 - R-
5 - n/a
6 - n/a
7 - n/a
8 - GND (need this is you use the pre-amp)
9 - connect to 11 to enable selection
10 - n/a (used for DVD player)
11 - see 9
12 - n/a (used for DVD player, power if headlight on)
13 - n/a
14 - n/a
15 - 12 volt positive switched (use this for pre-amp power)
16 - 12 volt constant

With bump in connector on top, pin 1 is lower right corner, pin 2 is above pin 1 and so on until you get to pin 16 in the upper left corner.

The pre-amp is used on the assumption that you will be using headphone out jacks from music players, laptops, etc.

Good luck...

Gary

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the extra info Gary... I didn't have all the pin outputs, which will definitely come in handy since I will need to use the preamp I suspect. I'll be using the inputs primarily with an iPod player, which I've heard has typically low levels from the headphone jack. I've already placed an order for the preamp... thanks for the link. This was the only real complaint I had about the sound system in the FX... that I had to use a cassette or FM adaptor since it had no auxillary inputs. Thanks for all the great information and advice!

Regards,

Ron

1 - 7 of 7 Posts