Infiniti FX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The post regarding what type of car you learned to drive a stick on got me thinking.

If Infiniti had offered a stick at the time you bought your FX which would you have picked?

I would have gone with the stick without question. How about you???

·
Registered
292 Posts
It really comes down to measurements. It should be a fairly straight forward swap and nothing I haven't done before (of course not in an Infiniti)

Here's what will be needed:

1. 6-speed transmission out of either a G35 or a 350Z
2. Pedal assembly from same vehicle
3. Clutch assembly (clutch/pressure plate/slave/throw-out bearing/linkage)
4. Shifter and boot
5. Custom cross member(I will fabricate)

First off though, I need to get under my FX and make some initial measurements and then measure a transmission. From a quick glance, it appears the shifter location will be just about the same but I must confirm that first. I also hope the manual transmission (who knows the Nissan name for this?) is the same length as the auto. If that's the case then the stock driveshaft should work. Of course if it doesn't, I can get one made for about $400. Then I will look at the pedal mock-up and the access through the firewall for the pedal plunger/slave.

If all of that seems very feasible, I will source the tranny and parts and go from there. Mine's a 2WD so that will make everything much easier. Not sure how it will work on an AWD but can look at that later.

This is in the very initial stages though and is just an idea on paper right now. Once I get more committed, I'll start a new tread and document everything.

EDIT - I forgot to mention the current project I am involved in http://www.vorshlag.com/E36ProjectBook.asp - LS1/6-speed swap into a E36 BMW.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Golden Boy said:
It really comes down to measurements. It should be a fairly straight forward swap and nothing I haven't done before (of course not in an Infiniti)

Here's what will be needed:

1. 6-speed transmission out of either a G35 or a 350Z
2. Pedal assembly from same vehicle
3. Clutch assembly (clutch/pressure plate/slave/throw-out bearing/linkage)
4. Shifter and boot
5. Custom cross member(I will fabricate)

First off though, I need to get under my FX and make some initial measurements and then measure a transmission. From a quick glance, it appears the shifter location will be just about the same but I must confirm that first. I also hope the manual transmission (who knows the Nissan name for this?) is the same length as the auto. If that's the case then the stock driveshaft should work. Of course if it doesn't, I can get one made for about $400. Then I will look at the pedal mock-up and the access through the firewall for the pedal plunger/slave.

If all of that seems very feasible, I will source the tranny and parts and go from there. Mine's a 2WD so that will make everything much easier. Not sure how it will work on an AWD but can look at that later.

This is in the very initial stages though and is just an idea on paper right now. Once I get more committed, I'll start a new tread and document everything.

EDIT - I forgot to mention the current project I am involved in http://www.vorshlag.com/E36ProjectBook.asp - LS1/6-speed swap into a E36 BMW.
How about the adaptation of ECU and TCU?

·
Registered
4,053 Posts
Sorry, I am going to buck the trend here. I have a 30 mile commute in LA traffic two times a day... AUTOMATIC is the way to go for me for my DD.

If I ever get a "fun" car for the weekends only like a roadster of some type it would be a stick.

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
Paperboy said:
6 Speed. Manumatic is fun, but I really need a clutch.
What He Said.

Oh, and Shady- during the dot-com days I used to regularly trade cars (on purpose) with my then-GF who had a 5sp Integra, while commuting in hot-jobs-bloated Bay Area traffic that made LA traffic look positively sane. Start in second, and you can use engine braking to slow down, which means you brake less (always good in CA). I'd happily go back to one here.

·
Premium Member
404 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
e39ng said:
How about the adaptation of ECU and TCU?
I've thought about that already. If I was going from a manual to an auto I would be worried but since I'm going the other way all I really need to do is turn stuff off. It may throw a code and it if does I bet I can get the ECU re-flashed so it thinks it's a 6-speed G35. I seriously doubt there's any difference engine-wise. Again, I'll research all of this ahead of time. As far as the TCU, I'm not sure yet. Does the manual even utilize a TCU? If not I'll just toss it.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Auto... for the amount of driving that I do, from stop and go traffic as well as long road trips. That's why I like Manumatics so I get the best of both world. :D

·
Registered
520 Posts
hmm thats a tough one because this is my everyday car and I do a lot of stop and go driving so I should get an auto if I had the choice but I like making my life hard...so I would go wit the stick :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
silverback said:
The post regarding what type of car you learned to drive a stick on got me thinking.

If Infiniti had offered a stick at the time you bought your FX which would you have picked?

I would have gone with the stick without question. How about you???
I had the 6 speed with my G coupe and I would prefer that over the auto anytime

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.