Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let me begin by saying I adore my 2009 FX. I've had no real issues with it in the 19 months since I bought it.

I took it in last week to get a Nav update and have my driver side mirror looked at. The entire unit was loose and vibrated at high speeds which caused a blurry view. I assumed it simply needed to be tightened but service said it was broken. Instead of leaving my car overnight, I made an appt. for this week to give them time to receive the part.

I didn't realize until I was back at work yesterday that the mirror they installed that morning did not include the camera required for my around view monitor (AVM). They ordered the correct mirror that afternoon and offered to come pick up my car at work, fix it, and deliver it back to me. Great! They ended up replacing both side mirrors because the passenger side was also slightly loose. One would assume the tech who installs these things would check to see if the image shows up correctly on the AVM, no? One might also assume the service rep in charge of coordinating these things might check for himself especially after getting it wrong the first time. The cameras appear to be working, if you call it that...but there are huge gray boxes overlaying the image. There's also a big gray box where the picture of the car used to be. I took photos to send to my service rep. I'm dumbfounded how they can return the car to me this way a second time in two days. Pics included. The genius tech suggested I hit the "change view" button to see if that made it work. Change view simply changes what kind of gray box I'm looking at. Awesome job guys.

This is just one of many many horrible service issues we've had with Austin Infiniti in the past four years. The first issue including them wrecking my husband's 2005 coupe on their lot, then pretending the car was given to them that way. They seem to have no ability to pay attention to detail. They insinuate my husband is crazy or dumb when he tells them his coupe battery won't hold a charge and his engine is making a funny sound. Turns out a TSB has recently been ordered for both issues! They're fixing these problems now thanks to the TSB but he's worried they're going to return his car Frankensteined.

Side rant:
They charged me $110 labor for the Nav update not including the $130 I paid for the code from Navteq. My map now includes streets and highways in my area that have existed for four years now, so I like the update...but $110 to stick in a flash card? Give me a **** break.

Also, we have a baby on the way due in July. Not looking forward to cramming a rear-facing infant seat in there but I love the car and there aren't really any other cars out there I'd rather have. I'm spoiled with my Infiniti...too bad they don't make a cool minivan. :(

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,763 Posts
Several thoughts:

1) My intitial thought is 'Can you take it to another dealership?' I looked up your area dealerships, and it looks like the second closest one is in San Antonio, 70 miles away. Don't know if you'd be willing to take your FX there, but if Austin Infiniti doesn't fix the problems, you might just consider a drive.
2) Double check everything they work on prior to signing off on the work to make sure it all works correctly.
3) Moving this to the regional forum, since this is a regional issue.

·
Premium Member
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the tips. Driving to San Antonio would be a huge PITA. Found out last night the service manager was just replaced by someone very experienced...worked many years at a large Houston Infiniti dealership. He called me this morning to apologize personally. He said we can deal with him directly from now on for any service issues, and he will personally be involved any time we bring our cars in.

Apparently he's cleaning house. Several techs have already been fired. I'm sure they were used to getting away with murder for years under the old service manager.

My car was returned to me today in perfect working order. Whew!

·
Premium Member
10,995 Posts
doodle said:
My car was returned to me today in perfect working order. Whew!
And THAT's the most important thing! I drive 6 hrs back to my parents' place to have my FX worked on (in school right now) even just for oil changes... I know the service manager and he knows me by name... we talk cars all the time and he takes good care of me... so I make sure I get my car serviced right by him and his crew...

And then any mods involving electronics, I drive down to NYC to see johnmax... again, trust is SO important... I hope this new service manager can instill that kind of trust into you...

·
Registered
35 Posts
I've been in to the Austin Infiniti a few times but not in the last year. I was always pretty lucky with their service.

·
Premium Member
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The new service manager sent us a $100 gift certificate to Perry's steakhouse. My husband and I spent a few hours this morning fixing my around view image. I realized after a day or two that the tech never bothered to calibrate the cameras. It's a bit of a time-consuming process involving putting tape marks on the ground at certain distances from the car. The image was pretty distorted and zoomed out. I downloaded the field service manual for $20 using a one-day subscription to infiniti-techinfo.com. We restored the factory default settings for the cameras then tweaked it from there. Worked like a charm.

There's all kinds of super secret stuff you can tweak if you know how to get into the system.

·
Premium Member
10,995 Posts
doodle said:
There's all kinds of super secret stuff you can tweak if you know how to get into the system.
Cooooooool! Unfortunately I just have a first gen so no uber secret stuff for me... :p

·
Premium Member
2,732 Posts
DatMan said:
doodle said:
Cooooooool! Unfortunately I just have a first gen so no uber secret stuff for me... :p
Not true, Dat. As some have discovered, if you take out your headlights the fx will supply you with all the deer meat you can use.

·
Premium Member
10,642 Posts
:lol: :lol:

·
Premium Member
10,995 Posts
^^^ LOL... that's a good one! :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
doodle
I can't believe they wrecked your car while it was there... I had the same thing happen to me at Service King in Dallas. They had my Jeep Commander there for a repair and a tow truck took out my rear bumper / wheel wheel. I was not happy. Now the Euless Service King has my Jeep (a tree fell on my hood) and they sliced part of my VIN number off while removing the windshield (they broke the windshield to).

At least the Grubbs (my employer) put me in a 2006 FX 35 for a loaner while getting the VIN sticker and the parts to fix. Now my wife wants me to buy it (just started last month) and trade in her Rogue. We owe to much on the Rogue to do it though. Oh well, we will be FX owners soon.

Anyway, if you or anyone have service issues like that at your Infiniti dealer (especially in DFW) let me know and I will do my best to resolve or help out.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have an update on my Service King issue that I posted in my last reply. Very interesting.. the Service Manager said that they would waive the deductible ($500) if that would be a satisfactory resolution and I would rate them well on their survey.

They broke my windshield and sliced my VIN number is the background while replacing my hood (damaged by tree).

I had just read how important Customer Satisfaction Indexes were in the Auto Industry.. true for service as well.

Edmunds.com Article about Customer Satisfaction Index
http://www.edmunds.com/advice/buying/articles/103273/article.html

1 - 12 of 12 Posts