Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
**** punks! Someone tried to break in to my FX last night. While it sat in my driveway with a street light right over it no less!

Doesn't look like they got in, nothing was stolen, nothing else keyed or anything. The only thing they accomplished was a little vandalism, breaking the lock cylinder, some sheet metal and the handle. Intelligent key still works and the door handle didn't work at first, but now it seems to work again.

The only problem now is I don't have the key number so I guess they won't be able to use the same keys for that lock? Not a big deal for me, but the worse problem is that it's a lease, so I don't know how bad they'll rape me when I turn in the car. At least there's only the one external lock cylinder and the dash to worry about. I wonder if they'll be willing to replace both?

·
Premium Member
2,609 Posts
Sorry to hear of your misfortune.

I thought most leases require you to have collision and comprehensive insurance. Those coverages will pay for vandalism (less deductible of course). ::?: Regardless, I'd get it fixed now and not take a chance on someone finishing their break-in attempt. If your dealer found out that you did not repair the damage and someone does break-in again, they may "rape" you worse than I care to imagine.

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
uggg....where do you live ?

·
Registered
4,053 Posts
Ditto - sorry to hear about the break-in - I too would suggest you get it fixed, a "marked" car makes a more appealing target, IMO.

·
Registered
361 Posts
cmoney said:
...breaking the lock cylinder
I imagine that's how they "tried" to break into the FX first and just couldn't get it done. I believe there was a thread not too long ago about how to cover up the lock cylinder for those with intelligent key (since you hardly ever need to insert key to unlock doors). I'll link if I can find that thread. Maybe try that route to further deter theifs (I know if they REALLY wanted to, theif will get your car, but at least make it as difficult as possible to make them want an easier target).

Anyways, sorry to hear about your misfortune. In TX, if they're on your property without you wanting them there (even if they're just on your front lawn :twisted: ), you can just cap them. Move to Texas?

·
Premium Member
256 Posts
Big time bummer, man.

A lot of insurance policies do not have deductibles for vandalism. You might be OK.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys. I'm in Piscataway, NJ. The other threads you guys have referred to are probably about other break-ins in NJ doing the same thing, breaking the lock to open the windows.

Yeah, I've got pretty good comprehensive insurance (the best in NJ, NJ Manufacturers) so I'll just have to pay a deductible, but it's $500 more than I wanted to spend, especially this time of the year...I'll definitely find out if there's a deductible for vandalism. That would be awesome if so.

Worst part now is that I don't have that little metal plate with the key number on it (sales person never told me about that so I threw it away when I bought a house last year and was cleaning some stuff out). So the door key and the ignition key will not match up now. That means the wallet key is useless. Hopefully won't be a big deal at turn-in.

·
Premium Member
10,642 Posts
They should be able to make the new lock key by the VIN.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Sorry to hear about that... Don't you hate when people screw with your car? That's one of those things that you don't do!!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts