Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All the recent threads about the Stillen supercharges has led me to investigate the other types of scs out there for the FX35. Just curious to get people's opinions about centrifugal (e.g., ATI ProCharger) vs. Roots-type (e.g., Stillen) superchargers.

As far as I can tell from reading a previous thread (see http://www.infinitifx.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=470&highlight=supercharger for dynos):

My overall feeling is that the ProCharger provides more top-end power and may have a smoother power ramp whereas the Stillen has more low-end grunt more akin to the stock torque curve. The ProCharger appears to progressively build power all the way to 5K rpm with a plateau between 5-6K whereas there is a steep dropoff of power in the Stillen starting at 5K on.

Both come with 3 year warranties and can be intercooled. Not sure whether ATI will cover the enginie as well though like the Stillen. ATI looks easier to install and seems to keep the engine looking more "stock," if that's an issue (personally I like it).

Anyone have any opinions either way? Will be interested to get more feedback w/r/t reliability, performance, install, maintainance, etc.

Many pics of the Stillen are floating around. Here's the ProCharger in a Nissan Skyline...nice...:)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
I will not say you stepped in it but this is an area of varied opinions.35'sshift at 6500 and 45 at higher.The Stillon/Eaton is a small blower(70 cfm i believe) and it simply runs out of air to push at 5000,a larger Eaton would go higher but.
The Eaton generates a lot of charge air temp,Pro less.
They will both get it done
Neither has a good fuel management system and neither has timing retard as currently delivered
What I truly like on the TV program is that this MD shop addressed the fuel delivery,fuel curve and timing retard...all essential!!!All costly!!!

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
The CHIC' Cheetah is my wife's DD, so prior to her nixing the S/C thoughts, (real men CAN write that) all the research i did still yielded me a toss up, with maybe a slight lean toward ATI. 8) [it will work well with the crawford plenum too] Go Grab the Gusto Geo!

·
Premium Member
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
brnjugfx45 said:
Neither has a good fuel management system and neither has timing retard as currently delivered
What I truly like on the TV program is that this MD shop addressed the fuel delivery,fuel curve and timing retard...all essential!!!All costly!!!
Thanks 'jug. Could either SC application make do with a dealer-modified timing retard? Say 13 BTDC (15 BDTC stock)? Or were you thinking of something different?

PINITI-FX said:
Go Grab the Gusto Geo!
Not yet...I'm hoping someone here installs a ProCharger first...:p

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
You are in the right park,but not up to bat yet!This is the same notion of retard.The show said a Z had 27 degrees advance at 6000(if I remembered correctly)Our 2 degrees would add or subtract from that,BUT,the amount of retard might be 10-14 degrees to solve the detonation problem on good gas only.Retard would begin as boost started.
This is well beyond the tech's ability to adjust.As we used to sayFI motors make power on air and fuel...pack it in and fire it.Not tweaks of timing etc.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I dont know if it was the installer's fault or just not proper tunning but the ATI was notorious for blowing engines on the z forums a while back. I suspect it was probably the extra air making the car run insanely lean which would send temps skyrocketing and the pop... i rod punches though the case or a piston welds itself to the block. correct me if i'm wrong.

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
The Pro produces a lot of air and their fuel management system is not adequate,nor is their spark retard.A good tuner can solve both.Stillen produces less air,floods with too much fuel and has no spark retard.

Should we expect better from both

Absolutely

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
both have their strengths, but since neither care to address the issues of timing and /or boost retardation, i feel that neither is a good 'kit' for the fx.

if you are gonna assemble a kit of components yourself (like with a blower, a fuel system, and a EM setup, then i would prolly say the ati would be my choice).....

neglecting timing and engine management (knock detection, boost retard, egt, a/f, etc) on an alumn. block, n/a, hi compression motor is a guranteed plan for diisaster.

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
Over on the SORRY thread,,Altered Atmosphere is doing the homework to see if he can flash the fuel curve/timing retard into the 45 ECU(what he did to the 35 on TV).I may bite because he has shown a thorough understanding of the problem and they have addressed it on the 35.When I talked about the rev limit of 7500 he did not blink and was aware of 35 going 7500 in Japan and breaking rods(beyond their capacity,but 45's start with a higher limit and have stronger rods) and may tolerate the higher limit.Anderson performance has started their homewotk also.Nice to have choices,but costs will be high.

The true shame is there is not a good out of the box kit

1 - 9 of 9 Posts