Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody had any problems getting the ash tray to open? I was looking at an XM Roady 2 unit and was thinking of mounting it in the ash tray area. Went out to measure and it want open. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
220 Posts
Re: Ash Tray Want Open

kxfx45 said:
Anybody had any problems getting the ash tray to open? I was looking at an XM Roady 2 unit and was thinking of mounting it in the ash tray area. Went out to measure and it want open. Any suggestions?
Not sure why it won't open, but I did the same thing using the XM Commander. The Commander barely fits and requires a lot of trimming of plastic to get it to be able to sit down far enough for the ashtray to close. The Roady seems to be even larger than the Commander, so I don't think it will fit.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Re: Ash Tray Want Open

kxfx45 said:
So, what are you saying? If you push in on the top of the ashtray nothing happens?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Phil - The Roady is just slightly smaller than the overall dimensions of the ash tray. I was going to check on the cost of a replacement ash tray before tearing into it. It would involve doing something with the lighter.

Grmensz - You're correct. Push the top and nothing happens. I even tried prying/pulling on it and it will not open

·
Registered
220 Posts
kxfx45 said:
Phil - The Roady is just slightly smaller than the overall dimensions of the ash tray. I was going to check on the cost of a replacement ash tray before tearing into it. It would involve doing something with the lighter.
I may have misunderstood what you wanted to do. I have the Commander display mounted on what would be the top of the ashtray recepticle, so the flip out part of the ash tray is still there and functional, and when pushed back into place completly hides the display. You can also remove the ashtray assembly (door and all) intact without damaging anything, which is what it sounds like you would want to do for the Roady.
One of these days I'll get some pictures...

·
Registered
220 Posts
Here's some pics of the controller for the XM Commander/ashtray mod for anyone interested... I chose this over factory XM because I needed the AUX inputs that the AAI-NIS module provides for my MP3 player, and the AAI-NIS had a second set of AUX in, so I just had to find a good use for them ;).

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,619 Posts
sweet install -- just what i've been looking for! thanks for the post.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Your ashtray cover may not open because a coin is jammed behind it. Just a theory. If this is the case I would take my fist and moderately tap it to see if you can knock the coin loose. If it indeed is a coin.

·
Premium Member
10,642 Posts
Nice! O&A!

·
Registered
220 Posts
ShadyJC said:
PhilP, looks nice! Who does your custom work for you? Or are you in the business yourself?
Thanks for the compliment. I did all the work myself. Used to build turn-key Cobra replicas years ago so I'm pretty good with all types of fabrication & fitting, etc. Don't get to practice it much these days except for the FX...

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Went by the dealer to get the ash tray fixed. Ended up being two packs of tooth picks from Quaker Steak & Lube. They took the aluminum looking piece off from around the clock to get to the tooth picks.

Needless to say, I was a little embarrassed.

·
Registered
3 Posts
kxfx45 said:
Went by the dealer to get the ash tray fixed. Ended up being two packs of tooth picks from Quaker Steak & Lube. They took the aluminum looking piece off from around the clock to get to the tooth picks.

Needless to say, I was a little embarrassed.

That's pretty darn hilarious. I gotta hand it to you for admitting that!

·
Registered
19 Posts
hey PhilP69 can you post some pics of your ashtray without the commander in place. I've been thinking about sat radio, I just don't want to pay 300+ for the factory radio and really like your placment. How long did it take to finish. Thanks for the help,

Greg

·
Registered
220 Posts
Greg,
I you do it the way I did, it will wind up costing about the same, because you need to buy the XM Commander and a PAC AAI-NIS to feed the sound into the head unit (unless you want to use the FM Modulator - but sound quality is not as good).

Unfortunately, I didn't take any pictures during the actual install. The complete install (controller, receiver, stealth antenna install) took me about 2-3 hours. More than half that time was spent trimming plastic.

These are pretty much the steps I went through the get the controller installed:
0. Cover the aluminum panels (esp. edges) with masking tape so they don't get scratched up like mine.
1. Remove the clock panel.
2. Remove the console panel (item 3 below).
3. Remove the ashtray insert (the part where the butts go - you won't need this part anymore).
4. Remove the ashtray assembly from the console panel (4 screws).
5. Remove the lighter receptacle (not needed anymore).
6. Remove the pivoting part from the main housing.
7. Trim the plastic so that the XM Commander controller sits down far enough for the door to close. I used a bench grinder, sharp chisels, and files to trim it. You have to remove quite a bit of plastic to get it to sit down far enough. Make sure it's sits pretty flat. Also need to cut a hole for the wire to exit out the bottom.
8. Fasten the XMCommander to it using 3M VHB double sided tape (Radio Shack or a body shop supplier should have it).
9. Remove the metal shield from the other part of the ashtray.
10. Reassemble ashtray and re-install.

I mounted the receiver inside the center console - it's Velcro'd to the outside forward vertical surface of the storage compartment under the armrest (hope that makes sense) and connects to the radio using a PAC
AAI-NIS.

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have the DVD mod already installed so I won't need the PAC unit. I assume the XM commander has RCA outputs right?

Thanks for you help,

Greg

·
Registered
3 Posts
PhilP69 said:
Here's some pics of the controller for the XM Commander/ashtray mod for anyone interested... I chose this over factory XM because I needed the AUX inputs that the AAI-NIS module provides for my MP3 player, and the AAI-NIS had a second set of AUX in, so I just had to find a good use for them ;).

PhiliP69, absolutely beautiful job. I apologize if this sounds stupid, but I know virtually NOTHING about car audio. Is the reason you did this purely so you could have both SAT and MP3?

I saw where ShadyJC used the AAI-NIS to hook up an MP3, but it SEEMS like he lost the ability to use SAT since he used those ports for his install. Am I right?

·
Registered
220 Posts
Greg,
Yes, the commander does have RCA outs.

charizmo,
That is correct. Actually, the MP3 player (seen above the Commander) came first, along with the AAI-NIS, but at the time I knew I would be adding sat radio later.

·
Registered
4,053 Posts
charizimo, that's partially correct - the AAI-NIS takes up the SAT port on the back of the radio so you cannot add OEM satellite radio. Since the PAC unit gives you 2 sets of inputs, aftermarket satellite is still available and can be hooked up to the 2nd AUX input as PhilP69 has done... mine is coming shortly, just waiting for someone to come out with something as small as the XM Commander for Sirius!

PhilP - ever find the source of that buzzing noise?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts