Infiniti FX Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a PM requesting some pics of my iPod setup, so here goes...

Note that I have an older iPod with headphones output only. No line out. I'm running that directly into a Radio Shack Ground-Loop Isolator. It removes a very annoying alternator whine, and gives me RCA outputs in the process. As you can see in one of the pictures, I have the RCA's run directly into the DVD player's AUX input in the rear. I get pretty good sound this way, but I suspect the newer iPods would be even better because they have a built-in line out connection.

I keep my ipod right where it is in these pictures, even while driving. The black case on the iPod is called an iSkin and it is made of silicone. You can get it in many different colors, some of which even glow in the dark! The best part is this cover protects the iPod while doing a fabulous job holding it in place on my console. I can even put the iPod on it's side and open the cupholders for the occasional trip to Taco Bell :)
http://www.iskin4ipod.com/

As for power, I have a monster 12V car adapter. You can see it in the picture with the armrest up. Since I have the ground-loop isolator I just leave it plugged in all the time. The iPod will run for several hours on the battery if you don't want to do this, but I find it more convenient this way.

As I understand it, you could do something similar to my setup using the SAT radio inputs on the radio head unit instead of the DVD input, but that would require dropping SAT radio and adding an adapter of some sort.

-Andy

Attachments

·
Registered
509 Posts
Where do you keep the ground loop isolator? I have the new Ipod and the only way to get line output is through the charging stand. I want to try it the way you have set up but have experienced serious noise direct out of the headphone jack. 8)

·
Premium Member
952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The cable you see connected to the iPod headphones jack is one end of the ground loop isolator. The red and white RCA plugs are the other end. Between them is the isolator itself. I have it stuffed down between the passenger seat and the console.

The isolator itself looks just like a little barrel, and happens to fit nicely down in there. I imagine it would fit on the driver's side too, if you needed to run it the other way. The new iPods have a line-out from the bottom if you use one of these: http://www.sendstation.com/us/products/pd_lineout.html

I know some MP3 players also have their plugs on the other side.

-Andy

·
Registered
2 Posts
Andy:
Yes, this is the post that provided the inspiration. I have a photo iPod which included a connector with head phone jack on one end and red, white and yellow RCA jacks on the other. I pluged all three in to the DVD jacks, like your photo and I have no extraneous noise at all. I also have a similiar "skin" in red for the same "no slip" reason.

Thanks again for sharing.
Michael

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.