Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone has wired for an extra video device for the front passenger yet? Just wanted to see the best place to pick up the video signal. I have a handheld color TV that I would like to give the passenger to watch the video when we have the sound system working though the car. It is self powered, so wouldn't think it would require a video amp. I don't want to mod the nav system to show video for insurance and temptation purposes, but want to have a wire I can pull out if needed. Thought about a visor monitor, but for the few times she'll watch, it really doesn't make sense.

If anyone has done this type of thing, please let me know your experience. Thanks!

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Well, what kind of inputs does this little TV of yours have? If it has an RCA video in, you can try tapping the orange video out wire from the back of the DVD player and running a RCA cable off it, but you may experience the same problem we had with the NAV-TV in that if you just tapped the wire, the signal is split and not strong enough to run two screens. The wire had to be cut, run through a signal amplifier (built into the NAV-TV or one available separately for $40 from vsokolov), then out to both screens.

Try taping the wire first (just strip an area, then cut off one end of an RCA cable and strip it to the center wire, solder it to the video out wire and there you go), but if it doesn't work, you'll need a powered (on w/ car) signal booster with multiple outputs to get this to work and still have stock functionality in back.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
video out

Thanks! I was wondering if you had 'tapped' the video by splicing the wire or if the dvd's video out plugs allowed you to put in a splitter there. Wasn't sure what the plug was that went out of the dvd player to the front, and didn't feel like ripping it out until I asked. (getting lazier in my old age.... :oops: )

·
Registered
3,948 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
I know this is a bit of a old thread, but my question runs along the question of this thread...

Say I wanted to wire two sunvisors and splice into the orange dvd wire in the back of my stock dvd player... could I just splice it using a rca cable, then run it into a video amp, then from the video amp to the 2 sunvisors without effecting the video quality of the lcd in the back?

My thinking is by splicing it would the signal to the lcd in the back go down and cause quality to be worse? Or does that not matter? Please help... thanks.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Yes you can do that. Should not worsen video quality of the stock screen.

·
Premium Member
10,642 Posts
It may lessen the picture quality on the rear display. Many of us that have done the NavTV with the factory video have had to cut it and run it into and out of the NavTV (it has a video amp built in) rather than just tap into the video feed from the dvd. I definitely saw a difference on mine in reguards to tapping it in versus cutting it and going in and out. You will definitely have some loss when you split the signal, even if it is only going into a video amp. Every job I do I use an amp whenever I need to cut into a video cable.

·
Registered
44 Posts
ah so you suggest just cut it ... then run it into the amp and from the amp to the two lcd sources, and the other one back to the rear of the dvd where it was cut prior right? 3 amplified signals?

·
Premium Member
10,642 Posts
You are correct sir.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts