Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of picking up a '95 SC2 as a beater for a daily driver while I save up for an M3 and as a rainy day commuter after the fact, as I prepare to sell my FX. Anyone had one before? Wondering how they hold up above $100k miles. I'm just looking for reliable transportation that gets good milage and not looking to spend any more than $2k cash.

Here's the one I'm looking at:
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?c ... cardist=24

Got a Carfax report on it and it's a clean, one owner car w/ 115,627 miles.

·
Premium Member
207 Posts
Unfortunatly, that is right when things go wrong for this car. I have not owned one but do have close friends that have always driven saturns. They trade for new at about 80K due to major problems kicking in at about 100K. They trade before all value is gone and have owned no less then 8 of them. They have 3 teenagers and they all drive saturns.

If you want a daily driver that is reliable for about $2K, try for an older volvo or older chevy/gm truck. They seem to last forever.

Just my .02 cents.

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmm, hadn't considered Volvo and I don't want a truck. Saturn was the only American car I was remotely considering, otherwise I'm looking for a Honda/Acura, Toyota or Nissan. I don't trust any American car over 100k miles; just didn't know about Saturn, being a bit outside the box in terms of American cars.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Just curious, and certainly not trying to flame.
What does this achieve, other than not putting miles on the FX?
Isn't it like leaving the plastic cover on your sofa? :D

/maybe it's just me...

·
Registered
361 Posts
LibTech said:

/maybe it's just me...
I think MGFR is going to sell the FX to save up for the M3. In the meantime, he's looking for a DD. I think.

·
Premium Member
2,609 Posts
I still have my wife's 1994 Honda Civic EX coupe collecting dust. I keep hanging on to it thinking I'll give it to some deserving family member, but none of them need a car. It has about ~110K miles on it but still runs like a new car. We meticulously kept it serviced and had the timing chain replaced at 100K miles (as required by Honda). Haven't looked at KBB recently but it's probably worth about $3K. It's in Livermore and green though. ::roll:

Let me know if you're interested.

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sensei said:
LibTech said:

/maybe it's just me...
I think MGFR is going to sell the FX to save up for the M3. In the meantime, he's looking for a DD. I think.
Correct.

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
particlefx said:
I still have my wife's 1994 Honda Civic EX coupe collecting dust. I keep hanging on to it thinking I'll give it to some deserving family member, but none of them need a car. It has about ~110K miles on it but still runs like a new car. We meticulously kept it serviced and had the timing chain replaced at 100K miles (as required by Honda). Haven't looked at KBB recently but it's probably worth about $3K. It's in Livermore and green though. ::roll:

Let me know if you're interested.
Man, that's about exactly what I'd like to have. I used to have a '93 EX coupe and loved it. I'm going to make every effort to find something local, though to keep it as cheap as possible. Houston has no shortage of used cars; I just need to get out and find one. I'll keep it in mind, though; thanks for the offer.

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
get an old civic .... id do that any day before a saturn. i had a 95 saturn SL1 and it did well for 125 K miles but 94-96 models had issues with engine blocks cracking. i was getting a mayonaise type stuff in my coolant and it turned out to be oil :shock: so i dumped it as fast as possible :)

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Huh, ok, I think I've ruled out EVERYTHING American now. Civic or Accord is deffinitely my first choice. Camry or Corolla second. I'd like to find something in the Houston area with around (or less than) 120k miles for $1800-$2000. Doesn't need to be pretty, just functional and reliable. It'll basically be a throw-away car in the end. The less I spend on a beater, the more I'll already have toward a downpayment on an M3.

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
:D That's exactly like the one I bought in '92 ('93 model); mine had the spoiler, too. Only cosmetic diff. between '93 and '94 was that those little psudo-vents on either side of the grill were black in '03 and body colored in '04I' (no idea why). It was a great little car (ex-wife got that one). I'll deffinitely keep it in mind, though I'm still shooting for around $2k for the reasons I mentioned in my last post.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts