Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to get some information on the infiniti extended warranty from a consumer point of view. What options are available and how much does it cost?

The infiniti dealer I went to wanted me to sit down and negotiate the purchase of an FX before getting into specifics and I really didnt have the time for it.

If any of you have had experience negotiating an extended warranty or have it for their FX I would really like to hear your experience.

Thanks

·
Registered
498 Posts
I can't remember the numbers... there were 3-4 levels to it, I think the highest level was $2500. However, the good news is that you can buy it a couple years down the road if you want, as long as it's before the warranty expires. However the older the car the more expensive it will be.

High level summary...

http://www.infiniti.com/content/0,,sctid-54009,00.html

I think this is the full monte version, each lower level knocks a couple things off like trip interruption, tires etc...

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
I really thought about it- then I checked on FA, backed up with all the G20s, Datsuns, Sentras, 240s I still see on the roads of SoCal chugging along like the day they were driven off the lot, and decided against it. With 30K miles in 13 months and only one failure (compressor clutch at 23K) I think I made the right decision.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Put the $2000 into your diversified portfolio . If you do have any major repairs pull it out and pay for it. Otherwise watch it grow!

·
Registered
498 Posts
FXLENT said:
Put the $2000 into your diversified portfolio . If you do have any major repairs pull it out and pay for it. Otherwise watch it grow!
LOL dunno about that one especially given the way the market has been behaving of late.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Then your a prime candidate for an extended warranty. Your a short term thinker and dealers like guys like you. Always worried that things will go wrong.

·
Registered
498 Posts
FXLENT said:
Then your a prime candidate for an extended warranty. Your a short term thinker and dealers like guys like you. Always worried that things will go wrong.
Or I'm a pragmatist firmly grounded in reality. However my point was that a diversified portfolio isn't the best place to put $2K at the moment.

·
Registered
706 Posts
ok, put it in a non-diversified portfolia. Where have you been the last 6 mos? The market has done great.

Actually, I have had two extended warranties on previous vehicles. Both I never used and both I ended up selling the vehicle prior to factory warranty expiration. I swore when I bought the vehicle, I was going to keep it for 7-8 years. Never did.

·
Registered
498 Posts
FXLENT said:
ok, put it in a non-diversified portfolia. Where have you been the last 6 mos? The market has done great.
I'm not going to get into investment strategies with someone that thinks a diversified portfolio is the cat's meow. :p

As to the extended warranty, I agree with you. Worst case though, if the car starts having problems, you can always purchase another year or two or three and up to 100K miles if you think something big is going to go boom like the tranny in an AWD.

·
Registered
848 Posts
FXLENT said:
Yup...my portfolio is up over 20% this year, and I'm not including real estate in that...that would make it nearly 50% 8)

·
Registered
498 Posts
FromHereToInfiniti said:
FXLENT said:
Yup...my portfolio is up over 20% this year, and I'm not including real estate in that...that would make it nearly 50% 8)
There are some great vehicles (not talking Infiniti BTW :wink: ) out there to dump your money in that outperform the market.

·
Registered
597 Posts
ariza said:
I am trying to get some information on the infiniti extended warranty from a consumer point of view. What options are available and how much does it cost?

The infiniti dealer I went to wanted me to sit down and negotiate the purchase of an FX before getting into specifics and I really didnt have the time for it.

If any of you have had experience negotiating an extended warranty or have it for their FX I would really like to hear your experience.

Thanks

Your salesman doesn't touch extended warranty 'cause it's handled by the F & I department. Next time don't waste your breath with him. The mark-up on those is usually about $500, so you oughta be working from there downward. Call 800-662-6200 and ask for Norma Jean ( she's one of the few people who knows what day of the week it is ). Tell her to put you in touch with the department handling extended warranties. Tell'em you're a VPP customer ( they won't know you from a hole in the wall anyway) who's interested in buying Infiniti Elite Extended Warranty blah blah blah. Request all relevant literature. Upon receipt go over what it covers and not etc... If by now they still don't list the cost of warranting FX, call the 800 number provided and ask for a cost of a plan you're comfortable with ( they offer a variety of plans ) . Hence you'll know the dealer cost.
These plans aren't cheap and unless you intend to keep the vehicle beyond for 4 years, I'd think twice. Conversly, if you plan on keeping it for 5-8 years it'd be mindless not to buy one. The FX is a high-tech vehicle bundled with complicated AWD system. Should sh!t hit the fan once you're out of warranty, your eyes - and believe me when I say to you - will pop out at the sight of the repair bill.

P.S. Infinti used to allow customers up to 6 months/6K miles to decide which plan to go with, but still be eligible for the longest 7y/100K mile coverage.

·
Registered
848 Posts
tazdevl said:
FromHereToInfiniti said:
FXLENT said:
There are some great vehicles (not talking Infiniti BTW :wink: ) out there to dump your money in that outperform the market.
Maybe in the short term, but I doubt it over the longhaul. I've been playing the market since '82, and been through the pain of '87 (bought my first mutual fund one month before the crash...ouch!...and still walked away with a 50% profit 6 yrs later!). Short term, the markets can be painful if you don't have the stomach for it, but they always come back...if they didn't then the whole economy has gone in the crapper anyway, any your money would be worthless (Great Depression style). :x

·
Registered
105 Posts
i think the ext warranty on the FX is worth it. i bought it at the time of sale. i think it was like $1400 CAD or something? 100K/7years. i didn't even consider not getting it. as soon as i saw all that these veh's come with tech wise......my first thought was, when i go to sell this veh in 5 years or so, if this stuff is startin to fail, it would probably be cheaper to take it to a junk yard than wage war to repair it. so for $1400 or so dollars....i think it's an invaluable resale gem! also....why is everyone so worried about the ext warranty cost? these veh's lose $10K so fast after you drive them off the lot it makes my head spin! but who cares right? we bought these veh's cause we love them and wanted one, not cause we thought it was financially prudent. get the ext warranty and there's one more bit of piece and mind, and a little more $$ out the window. oh well.......don't look now, but if you check your life with a fine tooth comb you'll see that you're wasting $$ every place, not just on these fine autos......

:eek:

·
Registered
706 Posts
but if you check your life with a fine tooth comb you'll see that you're wasting $$ every place, not just on these fine autos.....
I here ya, can't believe where all our dang $ goes.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the info Pudicus, I will definitely call that number to get some real quotes.

While I agree with the people saying to invest the money rather than blowing it on a warranty that may or may not be used, I also cant take the chance of something going terribly wrong. Plus I love the convenience of dropping the car off at the dealer and having it fixed at no additional cost, no matter how small the problem. Have any of you taken advantage of the complementary vehicle while repairs are being done? What kind of car do you get?

I do plan on keeping my FX for 5+ years and even if I don’t I believe that the extended warranty will add significantly to the resale value, unless its non-transferable. :?

·
Premium Member
10,642 Posts
ariza said:
Have any of you taken advantage of the complementary vehicle while repairs are being done? What kind of car do you get?
G35 sedan every time. Was hoping for a coupe one day or even a QX but no such luck.

·
Premium Member
2,609 Posts
johnmax said:
ariza said:
Have any of you taken advantage of the complementary vehicle while repairs are being done? What kind of car do you get?
G35 sedan every time. Was hoping for a coupe one day or even a QX but no such luck.
Could be much worse; I got an Infinti I35 as a loaner. Complete with saran wrapped seats and cigarette odors. ::roll:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts