Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1 - 2 and 3 - 4 - 5 are all fairly crisp , but the 2 - 3 upshift has a certain lag to it. Almost like the rev limiter is kicking in before the shift. But I've also noticed it really isn't any better in manual mode. Even then the 2 - 3 upshift is slower than the others.

Am I imagining things, or has someone else here noticed the same?

Thanks,

Bob

·
Registered
320 Posts
its the geritol... :) you been playin? how do you drive, prolly ECU needs more mapping.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OIIIIIIO said:
its the geritol... :) you been playin? how do you drive, prolly ECU needs more mapping.
Hey, I'm almost a kid on this forum! :p

It's got almost 7K miles on it now, so ECU mapping shouldn't be a concern. I just wonder if they've retarded the power just a bit at this point for tranny life. Kind of like on our WJs where they cut the gas just prior to shift to almost ease into the next gear and save wear and tear on the torque convertor. Without seeing the ECM/TCM shift algorithms, it'd be hard to tell for sure though.

A "sport" flash of the TCM would be real nice. :)

·
Registered
37 Posts
BobKid said:
1 - 2 and 3 - 4 - 5 are all fairly crisp , but the 2 - 3 upshift has a certain lag to it. Almost like the rev limiter is kicking in before the shift. But I've also noticed it really isn't any better in manual mode. Even then the 2 - 3 upshift is slower than the others.

Am I imagining things, or has someone else here noticed the same?

Thanks,

Bob
Yep. It's there for me on my 04 FX35. I think the technical term for it is torque management. :(

BTW, how does the FX compare to the Overland, power wise?

xmonger

·
Registered
320 Posts
hmmmm, 8) you figured a WJ=Overland. X are you another Jeeper in disguise?

Power wise my (modded) WJ is just as fast as the FX. Never redlined the Jeep though. Its V8 power so, its got a different feel.

It took me a while to get used to the shift points and understand where the powerband is on the FX.

They have been plenty of hacks on the 4.7 in regards to torque mgmt. DCX very early on changed the shift points to accommodate California emissions. Any body with a early '99 build will tell you it very noticeable...

·
Registered
37 Posts
OIIIIIIO said:
I have a 94 ZJ that I love. I have had a ton of fun in that thing and it's held up quite well (145k miles). It's got the 4.0 six, which is weak but bulletproof. I was thinking new WJ w/4.7 HO before the FX (I also thought about the new WK w/ hemi but I don't like the looks of it) In any case, the wife wanted something sporty and I wanted an suv so we got the FX, because if it stays on the road it better go pretty good.

I know about the torque thing. My 3rd car is a modded Pontiac Grand Prix GTP. 3.8L S/C Over 300 lb-ft or torque, the thing flies light to light. I've run 14.2 in the qtr with $300 in mods.

The FX likes to sing on the highway and I am quite happy with it. Light to light is not it's forte.

·
Registered
848 Posts
xmonger said:
OIIIIIIO said:
I have a 94 ZJ that I love. I have had a ton of fun in that thing and it's held up quite well (145k miles). It's got the 4.0 six, which is weak but bulletproof. I was thinking new WJ w/4.7 HO before the FX (I also thought about the new WK w/ hemi but I don't like the looks of it) In any case, the wife wanted something sporty and I wanted an suv so we got the FX, because if it stays on the road it better go pretty good.

I know about the torque thing. My 3rd car is a modded Pontiac Grand Prix GTP. 3.8L S/C Over 300 lb-ft or torque, the thing flies light to light. I've run 14.2 in the qtr with $300 in mods.

The FX likes to sing on the highway and I am quite happy with it. Light to light is not it's forte.
Dude,

I've got 2 unmodified GTPs in the garage ('98 & '99). What mods have you installed? FYI, the 45 is quicker light-to-light (can't even do a 15.0 1/4mi. in the GTPs), but not in the mid-range, where the GTP's blower sings.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Dude,

I've got 2 unmodified GTPs in the garage ('98 & '99). What mods have you installed? FYI, the 45 is quicker light-to-light (can't even do a 15.0 1/4mi. in the GTPs), but not in the mid-range, where the GTP's blower sings.
GTP

SLP Cold Air $200
3.5" Pulley $100

69k now, had it since day one. maintained fanatically, hammered incessantly, bulletproof :)

Run low 14's, 95-96mph all day at Englishtown, NJ (Launch is very important in a very traction limited FWD car like this...no brake torquing, half throttle at last yellow, full throttle 1 sec after that...see ya)

Work on the launch. I was running high 14's stock.

What do the 45s run stock? My GTP makes my FX35 look like its sitting still from a light and its nowhere near as modded as the average GTP these days. Almost everyone is in the 13s, many into the 12s. See Clubgp.com

Oh yeah, I've spent a lot more on the GTP trying to get it to handle and brake decently (struts, sway bars, stbs, bushings, 12" brakes, tires, etc) where the FX is very sweet right out of the box :)

·
Registered
848 Posts
Interesting...care to share where ya purchased the parts? Thanks for the URL.

The stock 45 runs right about 15 (see my sig.).

·
Registered
37 Posts

·
Registered
882 Posts
I've noticed the 2-3 gear shift lag and sometimes its seemspretty bad in terms of lag length. I always attributed it to our AWD system switching to RWD. The lag only occurswhen I really step on the pedal.

·
Registered
37 Posts
mushutofu said:
I've noticed the 2-3 gear shift lag and sometimes its seemspretty bad in terms of lag length. I always attributed it to our AWD system switching to RWD. The lag only occurswhen I really step on the pedal.
I think we are 100% rwd well before this shift. I love the way nothing is explained in the infiniti manual!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts