Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious how many of us FXers were avid snowboarders (or skiers God forbid :p). Where are y'all going this season? Thinking of making two trips: Heavenly Valley in Lake Tahoe and Vail, CO.

What about you? :)

·
Premium Member
207 Posts
I am not sure yet. I've been pouring over Whistler, BC, Breck or Snowshoe.

It depends on how much I spend on Christmas.

·
Premium Member
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Northstar in Tahoe already has a 60" base. All the other CA and CO plasces have between 40-50." What's it like on the East Coast and Canada?

Can't wait. I'll stick an Infinitfx.org sticker on the side of my helmet if I can get my hands on one of them! :p

·
Premium Member
207 Posts
I have not been to Whisler yet but I heard it is the best spot for boarding short of going to Switzerland. Snowshoe is kinda blah but it is close (6-7 hours) and I can drive the fx :D . They only have 1 high spped quad so waiting for the lifts kinda is a drag.

I have been partial to Breck ever since they opened the peak 7 expansion. There is plenty of unspoiled back country to explore. Plus it is close enough to Vail so I can spend time on the back bowls there since the lift ticket goes for both places. :wink:

·
Premium Member
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Breckinridge is also one of my options. I might end up there if my lodging in Vail falls through (waiting to hear from one of my female software vendors :p).

The Lake Tahoe resorts like Heavenly Valley have better "'boarder-to-skier" ratio than any of the places in CO but I hate that 4 hr. flight to Reno. Anyone know anything about 'boarding in Park City? No place decent and close enough to Houston to drive the FX though... :(

·
Registered
848 Posts
Longtime skiier here (been to Heavenly & Northstart)...sorry Geo. I spent a full day trying boarding, and just couldn't manage to get it. Unfortunately, my wife (of 3 yrs.) doesn't do either, so my previously frequent ski vacations have gone by the wayside. On the other hand, I've discovered the joy of cruising...did the Disney cruise, and Alaska inside passage. 8)

·
Premium Member
207 Posts
You should try to board again. It took me about 3-4 full days to get the hang of it and now I can go anywhere I want without fear. Except the terrain parks, got hurt there, ruined some gear and will skip those now. I prefer back country tree runs. Oh...and I always wear my helmet.

·
Premium Member
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
FXECUTIVE said:
You should try to board again. It took me about 3-4 full days to get the hang of it and now I can go anywhere I want without fear. Except the terrain parks, got hurt there, ruined some gear and will skip those now. I prefer back country tree runs. Oh...and I always wear my helmet.
I agree. I feel 'boarding is a lot better on my knees (my left has hardly any cartilage left and can't bend past 90) than alpine skiing as I get older. The shock from impacts is a lot less as you're doing slower-speed side-to-side carving against snow vs. going downhill and hitting bumps straight-on. Unless you're doing parallel GS's :p. Stay on a nice wide stretch and it's hella fun. 8)

Guess if I really cared about my knees, cross-country skiing would be best...:roll:

·
Premium Member
10,642 Posts
Me and the Mrs have been boarding for 14+years. Unfortunately stuck on the east coast. We may make the trip to Whistler again this year. We have been to alot of places: Colorado (Vail, Breck, Beaver Creek), Utah (everywhere they let us"rebels"), Italy (Cormayeur, Pila), Switzerland. I must say that Whistler Blackcomb is the best we've been to. Europe was good, but too far. Don't know if we are going to go in Feb or March yet. Maybe I'll see one of ya on Mount Snow, Killington, or Okemo one of these weekends. Now to paraphrase one of our members, lets Pray4Sno! (especially here in the east :? ).

·
Premium Member
207 Posts
Some from a few years ago:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Hey johnmax,

Not a skier or boarder, but a tourist. And there is a (supposedly) great place in Quebec called Mt. Tremblant. It's referred to sometimes as the east coast Whistler. I went there in summer (!) and they have a great village with snazzy dining and shopping. Great place and alot closer to NY then BC.

johnmax said:
Me and the Mrs have been boarding for 14+years. Unfortunately stuck on the east coast. We may make the trip to Whistler again this year. We have been to alot of places: Colorado (Vail, Breck, Beaver Creek), Utah (everywhere they let us"rebels"), Italy (Cormayeur, Pila), Switzerland. I must say that Whistler Blackcomb is the best we've been to. Europe was good, but too far. Don't know if we are going to go in Feb or March yet. Maybe I'll see one of ya on Mount Snow, Killington, or Okemo one of these weekends. Now to paraphrase one of our members, lets Pray4Sno! (especially here in the east :? ).

·
Premium Member
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Cool pics FXECUTIVE. Is that Snowshoe?

Last I heard there are about four places in the US that still don't allow snowboarding :evil: . Most famous one is Taos, NM. Then again, I heard the slopes are so narrow and short there anyway it won't make it a difference...:lol: :p

Who here still wears butt-pads? :p

·
Registered
10 Posts
My family just bought a house in Vail and we own a timeshare in Breckenridge, nothing better then a snowboarding vacation. I've been to Whistler its amazing beautiful town and the people are extremely nice. Any place out west should be great just got back from vail boarding in powder every day.

·
Premium Member
10,642 Posts
Heard about Tremblant. I don't know if it can compete with the amount of snow that they out there. We were also tinking of trying Mt Tremblant out.

GeoFX, don't forget Deer Valley and Alta in Utah. None of our kind allowed there either :x .

·
Premium Member
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
johnmax said:
Heard about Tremblant. I don't know if it can compete with the amount of snow that they out there. We were also tinking of trying Mt Tremblant out.

GeoFX, don't forget Deer Valley and Alta in Utah. None of our kind allowed there either :x .
Man y'all get to go to all these exotic places...:(

Never been to Utah in the winter. Pretty decent snow? Are they all up in the Wasatch's near SLC?

·
Registered
848 Posts
GeoFX said:
johnmax said:

Man y'all get to go to all these exotic places...:(

Never been to Utah in the winter. Pretty decent snow? Are they all up in the Wasatch's near SLC?
I just spent three weeks working in SLC last month. A coworker and I did a couple of five hour hikes (Mt. Grandieur, and some other peak I forget the name of...I'll post a pic later). They had knee high snow in the beginning of Nov. I've only skiied at Snowbird there (about five yrs ago)...waist deep powder was fantastic.

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
oooo

im a boarder ;)

i was thinking about hitting snowshoe in early january for starters

·
Registered
63 Posts
DUH!!! look at the name!! <----------- Im actually leaving in about 2 hours to go riding up at Hunter... Tomorrow will be my 7th day of riding this season already :) Im also goin to Killington next weekend....Mount Orford, Canada for New Years, and Heavenly Feb. 20th -28th... then a possible summer trip to Chile... "Ride the World, or Die trying"

·
Premium Member
207 Posts
Must be nice, I'm lucky to head west once a year. Pics above are at Breck. Chile huh.....have to check that out after switzerland. Also heard Austria is nice, anyone know 'bout that?

·
Registered
848 Posts
FXECUTIVE said:
Must be nice, I'm lucky to head west once a year. Pics above are at Breck. Chile huh.....have to check that out after switzerland. Also heard Austria is nice, anyone know 'bout that?
I've done both...Gstaad, St. Moritz, and a few others. Personally, I loved both countries, but found that Austria offered nearly the same value for significantly less cost compared to Switzerland. That said, it's been more than a dozen years since I've been to either of them. :cry: Only thing I recall disliking about European skiing was that certain cultures don't seem to understand the concept of a line, and would attempt to zip right to the front...I had more than one run in with people who tried to cut in front of me. :evil:

1 - 20 of 48 Posts