Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased 2006 FX35 over the past weekend.

I would like to have my tranmission fluid flushed.

Can anyone recommend a shop? Dealers charge too much. :shock:

·
Premium Member
10,995 Posts
Whoever you use, you MUST use the NISSAN J-MATIC (I think that's the name) fluid or you'll kill your transmission... sometimes you can buy the fluid separately and then have a lube shop or something do the flush for you.

·
Registered
883 Posts
What area of SoCal are you in?

·
Premium Member
274 Posts
The dealer charge me $45 for a trans service (no flush, not recommended) that is with fluid.
+1 on the trans fluid. Must use Nissan part.
Metro Infiniti in Duarte (ask for Cheryl)

·
Premium Member
10,642 Posts
themerchant said:
The dealer charge me $45 for a trans service (no flush, not recommended) that is with fluid.
That is quite cheap. What do you mean by not recommended on the flush? Goes against everything I have read.

·
Premium Member
274 Posts
johnmax said:
themerchant said:
That is quite cheap. What do you mean by not recommended on the flush? Goes against everything I have read.

I had the trnas service while I had it in for the 30k maintenance. I have been told by the dealer and others that a "Flush " can potenially damge you transmission seals.

http://autotechrepair.suite101.com/article.cfm/040206

The Dangers Of Flushing...
Flush machines do what they say; they force high pressure cleaning solvents back through the engine and transmission and clean out some of the accumulated junk that has formed. Now engines have small passages and galleries through which oil or automatic transmission fluid flow and there are one-way valves that keep the fluids from backtracking for whatever reason. By using an aggressive cleaning procedure like flushing, large chunks of accumulated sludge are broken off and forced backwards through these galleries and valves and, more often than not, lodge tightly and block them. This cuts off the normal flow of the fluid and causes lack of lubrication in an engine and abnormal or no shifting in a transmission. The results are expensive repairs, or more often, engine or transmission replacement.

The Facts...

The fact is, if you do frequent engine oil and filter changes and service the transmission every 15,000 miles there is no need for a flush. I have customers that change their oil every 3,000 miles and they don't need to use fancy oils and filters, and after over 100,000 miles, the oil comes out almost as clean as it goes in. They have regular transmission services and their transmission still shifts like new, even with well over 100,000 miles on it.

If you have neglected regular oil changes and you want to do some interior engine cleaning, get the oil and filter changed and replace one quart of motor oil for one quart of transmission fluid. The transmission fluid has a high detergent content that will clean the engine without damaging it. Do this every 3,000 miles and you will clean the inside of the engine slowly and gently.

If you do get a flush, I recommend you do it when you can afford to replace the engine or transmission.

·
Premium Member
274 Posts
here are some more articles concerning flushing trans or even engine oil

http://autorepair.about.com/library/a/1i/bl664i.htm
A. I have never recommended flushing engines, transmission or power steering systems. When you do you gamble that everything will turn out okay. If you lose, the cost is an expensive repair or replacement.

But this dealer is offering it , I said if they flush it and it acts up, at least the dealer can replace your tranny. roll the dice...
http://www.westhoustoninfiniti.com/AdWizardAd/280104

TRANSMISSION POWER FLUSH INCLUDES: * Power flush transmission system with a safe effective cleaner. *Removes over 95% of used fluid. *Safely dissolves and removes harmful sludge and varnish deposits. *Refill with 100% new fluid and special conditioner. *Check transmission and road test vehicle. $139.95 plus tax and shop supplies. 2000 and newer vehicles $221.00 plus tax and shop supplies

·
Premium Member
10,642 Posts
I dunno I dont agree with that one.

But anyway $30 to change the tranny fluid is a hella good deal! Sounds like the OP should go there! Jeez for $30 its cheaper than the 4 quarts needed to refill @~ $10/quart. I wouldnt even think twice. Youre making money there!

·
Premium Member
274 Posts
Like I said, it was done during my 30k service (I said $45), so don't quote me on it, until I get home to check the paper work. I would just call the dealer and get a price. It seems dealers charge differently depending on location.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
gto-dave said:
I'm in Koreatown area.

So rather than full transmission flush, maybe I should just get a fluid change with Nissan J-Matic.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Re: Update 4 weeks after purchase....

nihs said:
gto-dave said:
I'm in Koreatown area.

So rather than full transmission flush, maybe I should just get a fluid change with Nissan J-Matic.
J matic has been changed to s matic and can also be purchased at nissan

I did a drain and fill cple times

1 - 12 of 12 Posts