Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
where did you guy's the guy's tap into the power to connect these or are most of you using the lighteer cord ?
and is it easy to pop the side piller ?
thanks for any info and pics of install :)

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Best way is to run the cord up under the edge of the headliner, pop the A-pillar cover loose, run it under there, then down the side of the dash and under, into the fuse box and tap in at one that is on with the ignition.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
re

pop the A-pillar cover loose <-does it pop strait off ?
Thanks

·
Registered
662 Posts
Yes, it should. Be careful though.

·
Registered
124 Posts
where on the windshield did you place your V1? I get laser feedback from the tech package, and had to disable the V1 laser alert.

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Yup, laser pretty much has to be disabled. Always thought laser detectors were pointless anyway, unless you happen to be lucky enough to catch the scatter from a car ahead of you being shot, but 99% of the time, it's just advance notice that you've been nailed.

I don't have one, but helped a friend hardwire his. We put it behind the mirror and black dot windsheild pattern where it can't be seen from the driver's seat (or very easily from outside) and mounted the remote display to the upper right of the instrument cluster on the dash (no real good place to put this where it looks good). If not using the remote display, I'd mount it in the same place, just a bit lower, so you can see it's display just under teh rear view mirror. This'll also move it down from behind the black dots on the windsheild and likely provide a bit better detection, bt also makes it more visible to prying eyes outside the car.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
MustGoFastR said:
Yup, laser pretty much has to be disabled. Always thought laser detectors were pointless anyway, unless you happen to be lucky enough to catch the scatter from a car ahead of you being shot, but 99% of the time, it's just advance notice that you've been nailed.

I don't have one, but helped a friend hardwire his. We put it behind the mirror and black dot windsheild pattern where it can't be seen from the driver's seat (or very easily from outside) and mounted the remote display to the upper right of the instrument cluster on the dash (no real good place to put this where it looks good). If not using the remote display, I'd mount it in the same place, just a bit lower, so you can see it's display just under teh rear view mirror. This'll also move it down from behind the black dots on the windsheild and likely provide a bit better detection, bt also makes it more visible to prying eyes outside the car.
yeah behind the black dots is usless I mounted it just below them and ran the wire up the windshield to the mirror wire cover and inserted it in there .
I put the remote display right between tach and speedo on a simple 1 inch by 4 inch peice of metal bent to hold where the wheel goes into the housing and not disturb anything.
It worked out nice but like you say it is "visible" and a target but like I told here if she go's somewhere that it might happen take it out and with you like you gun :)
It's a little rough right now and I need to clean the bracket up and take the black tape off and it will not be noticeable to any.
its not screwed in either simply bent the metal to flex in position :)
I migh try to make a hanging bracket off the mirror to just depends on my time and if car is here considering wife drives it all the time not me :(

I changed the display cause sooner or later it would wear into the plastic .
The way it is now , takes no screws or clips just a little double sided sticky tape and 2 inch's weather striping across the back of the v1 and a little peice of metal "covered with rubber like from a boat to hold down wires " bent in almost a *90 works nice .
Now I just have to level it up :)
I'll post one pic outside where the veiw will be better later on today .

Attachments

·
Registered
176 Posts
I bought a pre-cut direct connect wire from a member of the Corvetteforums (TeamSpeed). You can make your own obviously but for 7 bux it was easier for me to just buy them pre-made!

This direct connect wire (pre-cut to about 8 inches or so) will work on V1's too, one end has the RJ-11 style connector and the other end has small pins connected.

Using this direct connect wire, you can wire into the power connector located behind the rear view mirror (black wire is ground and the Black wire w/Red stripe is 12 vDC switched; the Black wire w/White stripe is 12 vDC hot so you don't want to use this one). You simply remove the power connector, push in the two pins from the direct connect wire and reattach the power connector. I had to play around with the pins to get them to seat properly inside the connector but it works very well. The beauty of this install is that it can be easily removed in a matter of seconds.

I have my Passport 8500/X50 mounted to the left of the rear view mirror...

Here's a thread that better explains:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/showthr ... ge=1&pp=20

Larry

·
Registered
662 Posts
Nice. Probably I will try that.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
LarryW said:
I bought a pre-cut direct connect wire from a member of the Corvetteforums (TeamSpeed). You can make your own obviously but for 7 bux it was easier for me to just buy them pre-made!

This direct connect wire (pre-cut to about 8 inches or so) will work on V1's too, one end has the RJ-11 style connector and the other end has small pins connected.

Using this direct connect wire, you can wire into the power connector located behind the rear view mirror (black wire is ground and the Black wire w/Red stripe is 12 vDC switched; the Black wire w/White stripe is 12 vDC hot so you don't want to use this one). You simply remove the power connector, push in the two pins from the direct connect wire and reattach the power connector. I had to play around with the pins to get them to seat properly inside the connector but it works very well. The beauty of this install is that it can be easily removed in a matter of seconds.

I have my Passport 8500/X50 mounted to the left of the rear view mirror...

Here's a thread that better explains:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/showthr ... ge=1&pp=20

Larry
I don't think thAt the V1 hooks up the same as the passport/bell.
It has a cat 5 connection.
I guess if you had a kit to make a cat5 cable it would be easy but , running the wire from mid headliner to the pillar and down under to the fuse box was simple as can be and just took paitience time and good finger nails or wooden tongue depressor works nice to :eek:

·
Premium Member
1,036 Posts
can someone please tell me which cable to splice??????

I tried the red one I thought was 15A backdoor but then it powered the v1 even with the car off :?

Attachments

·
Registered
387 Posts
I didn't splice mine but wrapped the open wire around the cigarette lighter fuse.

·
Premium Member
404 Posts
You can also tap into the wiring for the maplight, the harness can be accessed by removing the card holder under the drivers side sunvisor. This eliminates the need to run the wiring down through the pillar.

·
Premium Member
1,036 Posts
GraFX35 said:
I didn't splice mine but wrapped the open wire around the cigarette lighter fuse.
well which wire is it? i meant using the little thing the v1 comes with to wrap around the wire-the wire harness.

i already ran the wire down so which one do i wrap this thing around?

or wait do you mean you took off the connector thing on the end of the wire, stripped it, and took out the 15a fuse adn wrapped it around, and put it back in?

just checking...

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
contaygious said:
or wait do you mean you took off the connector thing on the end of the wire, stripped it, and took out the 15a fuse adn wrapped it around, and put it back in?
I believe this is what he was saying. I've hardwired a few detectors for people and this is exactly the way I did it. Kind of sloppy, but simple and effective.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts