Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I go over the right kind of bump, I hear a clunking noise in the front end that sounds sort of like something is loose. It is not a harsh metal on metal banging noise, it is softer and rather unusual sounding. I had the service bulliten done for the fender bolts but it did not help.

I am not complaining about the stiff ride, and would not complain about a "thump" or "thud" sort of noise. I have had many vehicles over the years and never heard a noise like this. I am guessing there is some sort of design defect in many of the 2003/2004 FX35 (and 45?) suspensions. Part of it could be the natural frequency (overall spring/mass effect) of the front suspension (indicating poor engineering), but I am guessing it might just be a bad part or a loose joint. It is more prounounced on the left side, and only happens with the right kind of bump. A small, non-tapered speed bump will do it every time at speeds of 5 to 25 mph. Certain smaller bumps will also cause this noise at higher speeds near 40 mph. I decided to wait a while before complaining about it again, hoping that a solution will be discovered.

I also wonder if the Stillen front end stabilizer bar modification might help, but would prefer not to stiffen the ride significantly.

Thanks for any comments or ideas.

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
i had the fender bolts done too and it did not help. not sure what it is exactly.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I had the TSB for the fender bolts done as well and am having the same exact problem. It is coming from the right side for me and only occurs during small sharp bumps.

It almost sounds like the plastic shock boot broke off from the top and is now just bouncing up and down (i had that happen on my old pathfinder). I am due for another oil change and hopefully they can locate the problem this time. I will keep you both posted.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I only drove one other FX35, but it also had this problem also, and therefore I guessed that a lot of other people must also have this. I also drove one FX45 that did not have this problem.

Thanks for the info. Small, sharp bumps are what causes it also for me. Please let me know it works out, if we share info on this thing maybe we can eventually solve the problem. Some people on the thread below were talking about fenders needing spot welding for some kind of noise in the front end.

http://www.infinitifx.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1586

On this thread, some guys were saying that the fender bolt TSB fixed their noise:

http://www.infinitifx.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1765

I wish I could get rid of this sound. Makes the car seem really cheap. I plan to bring it back into the dealer soon.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Hateto drag this old post up but I am having this problem as well. On certain bumps you can hear what sounds like metal baning - almost like a loose cover over the catlytic converter although its only one side.

·
Registered
64 Posts
begawk1 said:
Hateto drag this old post up but I am having this problem as well. On certain bumps you can hear what sounds like metal baning - almost like a loose cover over the catlytic converter although its only one side.
I have the same issue.

·
Premium Member
2,054 Posts
I managed to fix it. Just as someone on this site suggested, the pop is caused by a single bolt behind the well liner (the bolt is one of several that holds the fender to the frame). You do not have to remove the fender, just the rear half of the well liner.

I turned the steering wheel fully to the right. Then, using the car jack, I jacked up the front left wheel so I had more room to work. If I remember right, there are four buttons you need to remove from the liner, one screw, one clip, and if you have the mud guard, 3-4 more screws. Once those are removed you can pull the fender away from the fender trim (the gray piece of trim attached to the fender, the well liner actually tucks in behind the lip of the piece of trim) and pull it down far enough to fain access. The bolt is a 10mm head bolt, painted, and is the last bolt you will see as you look behind the fender toward the rear of the car. It took about 3-4 turns to fully tighten it.

Sorry, poor description. With a goal in mind it may just be better for you guys to tackle the job without my description. It truly is easy, just dirty and takes about 40 minutes.

Now to find the source of a popping noise in the rear...

·
Registered
172 Posts
Turns out one of my front struts was bad and the dealer replaced it under warranty!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
When I go over the right kind of bump, I hear a clunking noise in the front end that sounds sort of like something is loose. It is not a harsh metal on metal banging noise, it is softer and rather unusual sounding. I had the service bulliten done for the fender bolts but it did not help.

I am not complaining about the stiff ride, and would not complain about a "thump" or "thud" sort of noise. I have had many vehicles over the years and never heard a noise like this. I am guessing there is some sort of design defect in many of the 2003/2004 FX35 (and 45?) suspensions. Part of it could be the natural frequency (overall spring/mass effect) of the front suspension (indicating poor engineering), but I am guessing it might just be a bad part or a loose joint. It is more prounounced on the left side, and only happens with the right kind of bump. A small, non-tapered speed bump will do it every time at speeds of 5 to 25 mph. Certain smaller bumps will also cause this noise at higher speeds near 40 mph. I decided to wait a while before complaining about it again, hoping that a solution will be discovered.

I also wonder if the Stillen front end stabilizer bar modification might help, but would prefer not to stiffen the ride significantly.

Thanks for any comments or ideas.
What was the problem?

·
Registered
1 Posts
What was the problem?
Look at a previous post by puppy. This sounds just like a problem i had with a 97 honda accord. Took me over a year of replacing things and tightening things and car mechanics scratching their heads. All stopped after new front struts. Simple fix on the honda (precompressed strut units)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Currently going through the same issue - I’ve spent like 2k on the front end between brakes , rotors , struts , sway bar link and barrings currently at the shop having the bolts looked at

1 - 12 of 12 Posts