Infiniti FX Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a mod to automatically close the sunroof after turning off the ignition?
I would much rather have to stop the sunroof from closing the one in a thousand times I turn off my car and want to leave it open than have to remember to close it and wait for it to close before I get out of the car every time.

·
Premium Member
10,655 Posts
Hmmmm.... Looking at the service manual, it looks like there is a brown wire at the switch that when grounded closes the roof. You could use a pulse generator to pulse the brown wire when the ignition is turned off and that should close the roof, since one touch closes the roof. That is only if you can close the sunroof after you turn off the FX (before you open the doors). I think it you can, as it shows RAP (retained accessory power) at the sunroof motor. I don't have the Pumpkin here to check it out, but seems pretty straight foward.

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
It's on accessory power. As long as you don't open the doors, you have some time (90sec?) to operate the sunroof and windows after shutting the car off.

I'd put a switch on this, though- many times I like to open (or crack) the sunroof after shutting the car off for ventilation purposes, not just close it.

·
Premium Member
10,655 Posts
Yeah, I would not want it to close automatically all the time. You could probably hit the switch the other way while its closing to stop it if you wanted to leave it open.

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
yes there is a mod.....

bring a stick and when you are about to park, poke your wife with the stick. that's her signal to reach up and close the sunroof

:D

·
Registered
392 Posts
bradical said:
yes there is a mod.....

bring a stick and when you are about to park, poke your wife with the stick. that's her signal to reach up and close the sunroof

:D
lol

·
Premium Member
1,036 Posts
is it really 90 seconds? i always find myself hitting the button after car is off only to find that the roof only closes part of the way and stops...

I would do this mod too since I ALWAYS drive with the roof open and the tinted windows up to show em off hehe

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Yes, it's about 90 secs.. however, as soon as you open the door, all bets are out the window... I can never figure why Infiniti thinks that it is necessary to cut all accesory power as soon as the door opens.

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
GAMacky said:
I can never figure why Infiniti thinks that it is necessary to cut all accesory power as soon as the door opens.
I think it makes perfect sense- that means you're getting out of the car.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
But if the windows are in the process of closing, it should allow them to complete the job rather than cutting power and leave the windows half open.

Sometimes, I'm in a hurry and need to get out quickly, and I'll forget about this. The windows stop half way when I open the door and I'll have to get back into the car, close the door, put the ignition on acc and close the windows, wait for the windows to close before opening the door again to get out. So now I just have to remember to wait for the windows and sunroof to close all the way before opening the door and get out of car, even if I'm in a hurry.

·
Premium Member
1,036 Posts
ooo that's why it wouldn't close haha.

Yeah, i was doing the same thing, opening the door and getting out.....

I don't see why it couldn't just turn off the power after 90 seconds even if you are out of the car...

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the replies.
I know that after I turn off the car I still have power to the sunroof until I open the door and can close it until then - that's what I do when I actually remember I need to close it.
I park - turn off the car - remember I need to close the sunroof - push the button - stare at the sunroof until it is closed so I can open the door and get out.
I'm wondering if there is a way to make it close automatically when I turn off the car and in a way that I don't have to wait until it is closed to open the door and get out.
Maybe I just need to work on remembering that I have a sunroof and push the button a few seconds before I park.

·
Registered
51 Posts
The main problem with this is that you HAVE to have the accessory circuit engergized for the SR to move. Therefore, a pulse generator by itself won't be much of a help. You will need to turn the ignition on, send your 'close' pulse, wait X amount of seconds, and then shut the ignition off, and then, PULSE the door pin, otherwise RAP won't shut completely off (even after it times out there is a chance your auto headlights, if equiped, won't shut off).

The most important question is what happens IF you press the 'close' button while the SR is already closed? Does it vent like on the G35?

For about 9 months or so I have had installed on my G35 an OEM operated remote sunroof opener and closer module. By pressing the 'LOCK' then 'UNLOCK' buttons on the remote the SR will either vent or open (programmable) and by pressing 'LOCK' 'LOCK' the SR, if open, will close. The major downside to this project is the fact that the G35 does not have any position switches, so the module has to keep track of the SR position at all times so that it knows when the SR is open. Things would have been much easier if either the SR didn't vent, or if the vent option was on a different button!!!!!

·
Premium Member
2,122 Posts
I think most stereo shops can do this mod for you. In my old bimmer in the states. when I activate my alarm all the windows and sunroof automatically close.

Jim

·
Registered
51 Posts
Unfortunately, its just not that easy.

Most BMWs have an 'ARM' wire that you can apply 12VDC to and close all windows/sunroofs/convertable tops. Infinitis lack that wire. However, we do have a wire that you can apply a (-) signal to and close all windows that have anti-pinch protection. I have reviewed the sunroof portion of the service manual and the sunroom system appears to be identical to the G35s. Because of that, you can NOT simply apply a (-) signal to the sunroof 'CLOSE' wire. Doing this, when the sunroof is closed, will cause the sunroof to vent! Doing this while the sunroof is already vented will cause nothing to happen! You need a 'smart' system to track the position of the sunroof, especially because the system doesn't have limit switches.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.