Infiniti FX Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Called local Infiniti service to ask whether any changes were made for '05 model year to the sh!!ty seat cushion padding so as to bring the vehicle in for a swap. The guy says - what's wrong with the seats anyway ? I go - virtually every FX has wrinkled leather with deformed padding, don't you know ? He goes - No. I mean, is it me or these guys are trained to come off as morons ? He goes - you'll have to make a service appointment so we can evaluate the problem before ordering any parts. I said - you told me that back in February when I called. What does it accomplish to replace one set of sh!t seats with another ? A month later we'll be back to where we started.
We should begin calling CA and yelling at them. That's what G35 owners did after being hit with $600 brake replacement bills after only 12-15K miles. At 1st Infiniti would blow people off, then all of a sudden everybody started getting letters with offers of reimbursement.

·
Registered
848 Posts
I go - virtually every FX has wrinkled leather with deformed padding, don't you know ?
Just a bit of an overstatement, don't ya think? I wonder what the real percentage of FXs with this problem is. I've yet to see one up close (seen plenty of posted pics though), and I've seen quite a few.

·
Registered
706 Posts
I've had two FX's. The first was an 03 Ivory Pearl with Willow leather. This one had a big bubble in the drivers seat that would literally "poof" up and stay. It looked as if the leather had seperated from the cushion, been stretched out and then would stay "poofed" up. This was very unattractive and prior to selling, I had it scheduled for replacement with Grubbs Infiniti.

I then traded for an 04 D/G with graphite leather. My graphite leather has wrinkled slightly but not enough in my opinion to believe that Infiniti would take action on. But from the pics I've seen from others on the forums, their leather looks like sh!t. Something should be done by Infiniti but my car personally would not qualify IMO.

·
Registered
462 Posts
FXLENT said:
I've had two FX's. The first was an 03 Ivory Pearl with Willow leather. This one had a big bubble in the drivers seat that would literally "poof" up and stay. It looked as if the leather had seperated from the cushion, been stretched out and then would stay "poofed" up. This was very unattractive and prior to selling, I had it scheduled for replacement with Grubbs Infiniti.

I then traded for an 04 D/G with graphite leather. My graphite leather has wrinkled slightly but not enough in my opinion to believe that Infiniti would take action on. But from the pics I've seen from others on the forums, their leather looks like sh!t. Something should be done by Infiniti but my car personally would not qualify IMO.
Well, there goes my willow theory :roll: . So are all FX seats ******??

·
Registered
848 Posts
05fxguy said:
Well, there goes my willow theory :roll: . So are all FX seats %#@!??
I think there was a poll that indicated that willow was the least affected...I'm too lazy to go searching for it, but I recall that that was the concensus. With 20k+ miles under my 215lb rump, mine look nearly perfect.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Whenever I'm @ Infiniti store I'd go out and specifically check the condition of front seats of FXs on their lot. And I have yet to come across one that looks acceptable. Graphite seats look especially bad when there's major wrinkling on the left cushion bolster coupled with spider web effect spread across left seatback bolster. Now, why service departments don't get flooded with seat replacement jobs is completely another question. Some folks don't know any better, others could give a shyte. I remember once witnessing at a Porsche store some dude try to trade his $50K Audi with Nappa seats that looked as though someone spilled battery acid on'em. The pinhead thought they'd give him top $$$ just because he'd originally purchased the vehicle from them. So he went ahead and abused the piss out of it.

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
05fxguy said:
So let me get this straight, the only seats without any known problem are the perforated willow ones?
My brick are defect-free. To be honest, what I've seen of the graphite seats wouldn't make me try and get 'em fixed; I used to have a Volvo 960 (and drove an S80T6 for 4 months) that had the same "defect" and it didn't bother me one bit.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Take a look on eBay at all the FXs for sale to get an idea.... also notice a lot of them 'skip' a direct pic of the front seat cushions.

Of EVERY graphite interior I've seen in person, ALL of them had a leather issue.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
These are all off today's eBay listings.

Look at the seat back on this:

·
Registered
80 Posts
I wonder if these people with problems have a big fat wallet in the back pocket. Someone told me that, thats the #1 reason the leather stretches. the other worse thing is wearing denim pants. so is this true?

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
My wife doesnt have a wallet.... the passenger seat looks worse than the driver's seat in my car.

completed item pics:

·
Registered
848 Posts
04fx35 said:
I wonder if these people with problems have a big fat wallet in the back pocket. Someone told me that, thats the #1 reason the leather stretches. the other worse thing is wearing denim pants. so is this true?
I wear jeans about 70% of the time, and have worn holes in the wallet pocket of many...so, I'd be a counter-example of this.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Those pics of graphite leather above look like mine. And mines are replaced ones already. :(

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Nearly 2000 miles on my Willow - no problems so far. Will have to keep on eye on this "feature" :roll:

·
Registered
662 Posts
I was curious. Why didn't Infiniti put those G35's perforated graphite seats in FX? Whenever I sit on them, G35's are better than FX's.

·
Registered
235 Posts
topguy said:
I was curious. Why didn't Infiniti put those G35's perforated graphite seats in FX? Whenever I sit on them, G35's are better than FX's.
go check out the 05 FX graphite interior...

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
in all honesty (even though my leather isnt great either), i think that a lot of these probelms are for two reasons:

(1) you slide in and out of the car over the bolster without lifting your weight first

(2) you weight more than say, 200 pounds and your butt is big

now before you all flame me, i have to say that i am 230 and my ass is not huge, but bigger than it should be :D and i m convinced that this is a major contributor to my leather wrinkles.

i just try to get in and out of the car gently and treat my car with some care and all in all, its not as bad as it could be.

sure i wish it would be better than it is, but i can blame myeslf to some degree :lol:

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
You can't have mashed potatos for a padding wrapped in leather that's about as elastic as you know what. The width of my arse or the manner in which I exit the vehicle are secondary issues here. I bought an Acura 2 months prior to getting the FX and which now has 20% more miles on it. Yet somehow it manages to have seats that look practically new despite the fact that I'd drive it like Mario Andretti from time to time.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.