Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting ready to buy an FX45 and have some questions. I've read all of the snow discussions from the past. I live in Ohio, and my two requirements are a 5 star crash rating all around, and excellent snow performance when I need it on hills in 4-5 inches of snow.

Of course like everybody else, I prefer not to buy Blizzaks on 18" rims.

That said, what other possible tire sizes can be put on the 20" stock rims?

I've seen lots of other large SUVs/Trucks with tires just as wide 265, but with 75 ratios instead of the 50. Of course it may look funny on the 45 but thats not what I'm concerned about.

Are there any truck/SUV all season tires that will fit the bill?

The wife wants a new Hummer H3, and I want the FX45, but the H3 is also 10 inches taller too which we really don't want. Other vechicles we have looked at are the Chevy Equinox and the Dodge Magnum RT/AWD.

Just want to make sure I won't be disappointed in the snow after spending a ton of cash on an FX45. And if it comes to Blizzaks, then I guess that might be the final answer. It just seems like a lot of other SUVs don't have this problem the FXs do, and then maybe it shouldn't be called an SUV. Maybe a 350Z wagon :p BTW, the end of the 2005 brochure shows it running through the snow :p

Thanks,

Clark

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
If you want "more SUV, less Sports Car" then you should seriously consider buying something other than an FX. This is an "SUV" only in the sense that it's bigger than a car.

·
Registered
779 Posts
First off, welcome to the org clark_carty...
Just like 2Fast4U suggested, I would try with Tirerack. Try giving them a call, as it might be faster for them to give you all the answers as opposed to search for them yourself on their website. Good luck with the decision-making.

·
Premium Member
396 Posts
I also live in the Cleveland area and put a set of 18" Nissan Murano wheels and tires on my FX35. They have worked great so far.

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
i would go for a toureg.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That was kind of my point.

I looked in the Tourareg and X5 forums yesterday. Nobody really complaining about snow in a Tourareg w/stock tires. Of course they are not as wide, and have a taller aspect than the FX stock tires. Tons of X5 people complaining about their 19" and 20" tires.

Shouldn't there be a tire at least for the 18" rims that turns the FX into a Touareg for all seasons? (OK that sounded bad)

Would never buy a German car, reliability is way too bad.

Guess if I get an FX I'll just have to keep a separate set of Blizzaks.

Thanks,

Clark

·
Registered
779 Posts
I looked in the Tourareg and X5 forums yesterday. Nobody really complaining about snow in a Tourareg w/stock tires. Of course they are not as wide, and have a taller aspect than the FX stock tires. Tons of X5 people complaining about their 19" and 20" tires.
The wider the tire, the worse traction in snow...

·
Registered
498 Posts
Off topic for a sec.. how does the Touareg AWD work? Is it a full time/fully engaged AWD system or does it have a FWD/RWD bias until it detects slippage.

As for tires... I saw this... anyone given them a try on the FX? Pretty **** expensive... Wrangler F1, tirerack has similar sizes cheaper but they don't indicate a 265 60 18.

http://1010tires.com/tire.asp?tirebrand ... rangler+F1

·
Registered
90 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have a set of 18" ASA ST3 w/ Blizzaks with less than 1500 miles on them for sale in the FS section.

Of course, they are in Charleston, SC. Which is a long way from those of you in the snow.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts