Infiniti FX Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so here it is...

******AKEBONO REAR CALIPERS ARE A DIRECT BOLT ON TO THE 1ST GEN FX KNUCKLES *****

so you do not need to buy 2nd knuckles/spindles to have rear AKEBONO calipers....

what you need to complete the job

1. PAIR of Akebono Rear calipers
2. PAIR of FX50 rear rotors
3. PAIR of stainless steal brake hose for FX50 calipers
4. shave lip or remove backing plate

THAT'S IT!!!

ENJOY. HAVE FUN BE SAFE!

Attachments

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
**** note: Those rotors in pictures are the stock fx35 rotors they look off from the caliper i know... Point is to show calipers mount to the 1stgen knuckles/spindles ****

·
Registered
25 Posts
That's interesting. When the FX50 rotor goes on is the offset of the rotor surface correct too?

Edit: Also does the parking brake drum still work with the FX50 rotors?

·
Registered
9 Posts
So, no further discussion on this topic?? I’ll assume it’s misinformation, as ConceptZ still says you need to swap it. ??‍♂

·
Registered
25 Posts
So in the absence of a reply from the OP, I did a little research and reread all the threads from when people first started doing this mod. I also started cross referencing part numbers between models. So the fx50 uses different parking brake shoes than say the g37 or 370z with the akebono brakes. The rear rotors are also different. But the g37 and 370z can just bolt on the akebono kit without changing anything. They also share the same parking brake shoes as a s50 gen fx. So that plus some diagrams on rock auto lead me to believe that the parking brake hat is the same size for a fx35/45 and a g37/370z.
This leads me to believe that it might be possible to use the g37/370z rear rotors but not a fx50 rear rotor.
Well the original threads way back in the day, they tried a g37 rotor and it didn’t fit the dust shield/backing plates. Well of course not, it’s too large of a diameter and the lip wraps around the rotor a little. Then the g37 parking brake and dust shield assembly wouldn’t fit the fx spindle. The fx50 wouldn’t either. So that’s how they got to changing the whole assembly

What I didn’t see was anyone just try trim the edge of the dust shield and slam the g37 rotor on! Sure it’s kind of a hack job compared to bolting on nice new OEM parts and that outer lip adds quite a bit of rigidity to the backing plate but who cares? Yes it’s not as nice of a finished job but I see no reason through my research why that wouldn’t work.
Unless anyone knows why that wouldn’t work I will be trying one g37 sport rotor on mine after trimming that lip. It might be a month before I get to trying it but I think it’s worth a shot.

·
Registered
2 Posts
So in the absence of a reply from the OP, I did a little research and reread all the threads from when people first started doing this mod. I also started cross referencing part numbers between models. So the fx50 uses different parking brake shoes than say the g37 or 370z with the akebono brakes. The rear rotors are also different. But the g37 and 370z can just bolt on the akebono kit without changing anything. They also share the same parking brake shoes as a s50 gen fx. So that plus some diagrams on rock auto lead me to believe that the parking brake hat is the same size for a fx35/45 and a g37/370z.
This leads me to believe that it might be possible to use the g37/370z rear rotors but not a fx50 rear rotor.
Well the original threads way back in the day, they tried a g37 rotor and it didn’t fit the dust shield/backing plates. Well of course not, it’s too large of a diameter and the lip wraps around the rotor a little. Then the g37 parking brake and dust shield assembly wouldn’t fit the fx spindle. The fx50 wouldn’t either. So that’s how they got to changing the whole assembly

What I didn’t see was anyone just try trim the edge of the dust shield and slam the g37 rotor on! Sure it’s kind of a hack job compared to bolting on nice new OEM parts and that outer lip adds quite a bit of rigidity to the backing plate but who cares? Yes it’s not as nice of a finished job but I see no reason through my research why that wouldn’t work.
Unless anyone knows why that wouldn’t work I will be trying one g37 sport rotor on mine after trimming that lip. It might be a month before I get to trying it but I think it’s worth a shot.
Following

·
Registered
25 Posts
I’ve ordered a set of g37 sport rear discs BUT I had to order ones to match the crazy raybestos/ac delco wave style slots that I have on the front AND because I had an amazon gift card from work I bought them from amazon, but they have a 1-3 month lead time. No idea when/if I’ll get them, but if/when I do I will trim a dust shield and try installing them ASAP. But this isn’t just a hollow threat, I’ve made a step towards trying it and reporting back on possibility.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I’ve ordered a set of g37 sport rear discs BUT I had to order ones to match the crazy raybestos/ac delco wave style slots that I have on the front AND because I had an amazon gift card from work I bought them from amazon, but they have a 1-3 month lead time. No idea when/if I’ll get them, but if/when I do I will trim a dust shield and try installing them ASAP. But this isn’t just a hollow threat, I’ve made a step towards trying it and reporting back on possibility.
Please keep us updated!!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Ok so G/Z/M car rear sport rotors will not fit FX... or at least not my FX. There are some unknowns with the parking brake sizes. For more details

The short version is that rock auto does not have the right parking brake shoes listed for at least my 2005 fx35. They may be wrong for 2003-2005

however they list 2006-2008 S50 parking brake shoes as being the same part numbers for all S51 chassis cars including the fx50. Now I have very little faith in their listing for parking brake shoes at this point but I find it hard to believe that the fx50 would have its own parking brake shoes. I’m confident enough that I’ll order some fx50 rear rotors and try them. The FX37 is listed as having the same rear rotors as a s50 gen and I have more confidence in the rotor listings.

·
Registered
25 Posts
So I hate to be the bearer of bad news but simply cutting the dust shields and using a FX50 rotor does not work. Sure the calipers bolt up, the parking brake fits, the offset between rotor and center of the calipers even line up, however the caliper mounts about 3/8” too far out on the rotor so the pads do not contact far enough in. The rotor would have to be even larger to use the caliper mount on the stock spindle.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Too bad, but I have to say I’m not really surprised. The research, work, and time, put in when these brakes were introduced back in ‘08 by TurboCad and others seems pretty thorough, to say the least.

Really my only question is do you in fact need the TurboCad ball joint adapter or not? Concept Z sells the set-up and notes the need to change the knuckle very clearly. I’ve inquired with them on the adapter, and was told you need a $20 seat/ spacer Nissan / Infiniti Infiniti OEM Rear Lower & Upper Ball Joint Seat - FX50 09-13 40173-EG000 - Concept Z Performance
, and they have “heard no complaints” from anyone doing this swap.
Thanks for the work and update though. Seems to eliminate any other possibilities than what has been done for the past decade.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Too bad, but I have to say I’m not really surprised. The research, work, and time, put in when these brakes were introduced back in ‘08 by TurboCad and others seems pretty thorough, to say the least.

Really my only question is do you in fact need the TurboCad ball joint adapter or not? Concept Z sells the set-up and notes the need to change the knuckle very clearly. I’ve inquired with them on the adapter, and was told you need a $20 seat/ spacer Nissan / Infiniti Infiniti OEM Rear Lower & Upper Ball Joint Seat - FX50 09-13 40173-EG000 - Concept Z Performance
, and they have “heard no complaints” from anyone doing this swap.
Thanks for the work and update though. Seems to eliminate any other possibilities than what has been done for the past decade.
Idk. Post 70 of the original thread claims it’s needed

·
Registered
25 Posts
Oh and for the record at least two people are running them just with cutting the dust shields leaving the pads hanging off the tops of the rotors and claim no ill effects. Personally I’m not into doing that but I also can see how it likely wouldn’t cause any harm.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts